Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Electric Basses > Music [BG] > Jazz and R&B Corner

Old 04-24-2007, 10:24 AM
Posting Member

Ronson Hall is on a distinguished road
Post I Heard From Al "The Burner" Turner!

Hey Folks,

You may have noticed me going on about the Solo CD by Al "The Burner" Turner ("It's Good To Have Friends" is the name of it - get it from Ken, you will enjoy it!). After hearing the CD and playing along with some of the cuts, I had a few questions for Al. Ken suggested I write him, and ask him directly, so I did.

"The Burner" wrote me back a couple of days later, answering all of my questions. What a gracious guy he is!

I was particularly interested in knowing whether he was doing his solo parts on a 5 or 6-string, as I was getting quite a workout stretching into the upper part of my neck for some of those beautifully funky parts! He informed me that indeed he was using his Ken Smith "Prototype (the first one Ken produced of its kind)" Zebrawood 6-String for all of the solo and melodic work, and then went to his favorite Ken Smith 5-string for laying down all the bass parts. I was relieved; not that I'm close to mastering this intricate stuff Al has created, but that I had figured "Man! He's got to be doing these movements on a six or seven string axe, or I'm losing it!"

A very encouraging response, in that a musician of Mr. Turner's caliber would take the time to write back to a new fan.

If you haven't heard his solo CD, you owe it to yourself to hear this gifted bassist. Send Ken some cash, and ask him to send you Al Turner & Melvin Lee Davis' (another bad, bad man!!) strong CD's!!
Old 04-24-2007, 02:11 PM
Senior Posting Member

Albert Smith is on a distinguished road

It sounds like your musical ear has matured Ronson, any palns on ordering a "Smith" 6 neck through model anytime soon?
Old 04-24-2007, 04:11 PM
Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Smith View Post
It sounds like your musical ear has matured Ronson, any palns on ordering a "Smith" 6 neck through model anytime soon?
You know, before I started trying to play these solos (I've always wanted to be a bit stronger in this area), I never even considered a 6-string. Now, I find myself wanting to be able to play more melodically when I need to (our church band, The "E" Street Band, is a 3-piece group; drums, guitar, bass). As I began to play "The Burner's" stuff, I started to become more interested in having that "C" string instead of having to hop all the way up the neck!
Old 04-24-2007, 10:04 PM
Senior Posting Member

Cool Gospel Players Corner

Hey Ronson, I love my BT 5 Elite, but let me tell you I am having tons of fun with my CR 6. It was made way back in 1997 but the axe is mint and playing solos is what this bass is made for. Its a bolt on not neck through like the BT 5 Elite but its truly butter.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:04 AM
Senior Posting Member

Cool Gospel Players Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronson Hall View Post
Hey Folks,

You may have noticed me going on about the Solo CD by Al "The Burner" Turner ("It's Good To Have Friends" is the name of it - get it from Ken, you will enjoy it!). After hearing the CD and playing along with some of the cuts, I had a few questions for Al. Ken suggested I write him, and ask him directly, so I did.

"The Burner" wrote me back a couple of days later, answering all of my questions. What a gracious guy he is!

I was particularly interested in knowing whether he was doing his solo parts on a 5 or 6-string, as I was getting quite a workout stretching into the upper part of my neck for some of those beautifully funky parts! He informed me that indeed he was using his Ken Smith "Prototype (the first one Ken produced of its kind)" Zebrawood 6-String for all of the solo and melodic work, and then went to his favorite Ken Smith 5-string for laying down all the bass parts. I was relieved; not that I'm close to mastering this intricate stuff Al has created, but that I had figured "Man! He's got to be doing these movements on a six or seven string axe, or I'm losing it!"

A very encouraging response, in that a musician of Mr. Turner's caliber would take the time to write back to a new fan.

If you haven't heard his solo CD, you owe it to yourself to hear this gifted bassist. Send Ken some cash, and ask him to send you Al Turner & Melvin Lee Davis' (another bad, bad man!!) strong CD's!!
Oh I meant to ask you Ronson, what track is your favorite on Als' new project?
Old 04-25-2007, 04:14 PM
Posting Member

Quote:
Oh I meant to ask you Ronson, what track is your favorite on Als' new project?
Well Al, my brother, now you know! Let me know what you think!
Old 04-26-2007, 09:42 AM
Senior Posting Member

Cool Can You Hang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronson Hall View Post
Great selection Ronson, but can you hang in there with licks like that from big Al?
Old 04-26-2007, 10:54 AM
Posting Member

Originally Posted by Ronson Hall

Quote:
Great selection Ronson, but can you hang in there with licks like that from big Al?

Well, Al, I can hit just enough of them to keep me smiling! I figure if I go at a few of them daily before I go in to the office, I can only gain, right?