Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Double Bass Talk in General

Old 06-06-2013, 09:53 PM
Junior Posting Member

Kai Sanchez is on a distinguished road
Default Juzek 5 string?

Has anyone seen a five string Juzek? There is a local Juzek flatback for sale, and I saw it has an extra tuning peg hole but everything else looks like a regular 4 string 3/4 size Gamba corner flatback Juzek. Unfortunately I didn't take any pics and can't see the bass again until August.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:17 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Sanchez View Post
Has anyone seen a five string Juzek? There is a local Juzek flatback for sale, and I saw it has an extra tuning peg hole but everything else looks like a regular 4 string 3/4 size Gamba corner flatback Juzek. Unfortunately I didn't take any pics and can't see the bass again until August.
The Flatback Juzeks are prewar. In that catalog (I have the 1934 book), there is no mention of a 5er and this is the first I have ever heard mention of one.

So, it is either a later modification or, not a bass made for Juzek. Pics would help of course.

If looking for a 5er, I have a beautiful Hofner from 1977. The neck was just moved out to make it easier to play the outer strings and, the spacing is the same as a 4-string but one string wider. I am currently at the ISB in Rochester and showed the bass today to an orchestra pro that plays mainly 5-string in his section. He said the spacing and playability is very playable.

Let me know if you are interested by email @ sales@kensmithbasses.com
Old 06-09-2013, 12:49 AM
Junior Posting Member

Kai Sanchez is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
The Flatback Juzeks ar prewar. In that catalog (I have he 1934 book), there is no mention of a 5er and this is the first I have ever heard mention of one.

So, it is either a later modification or, not a bass made for Juzek. Pics would help of course.

If looking for a 5er, I have a beautiful Hofner from 1977. The neck was just moved out to make it easier to play the outer strings and, the spacing is the same as a 4-string but one string wider. I am currently at the ISB in Rochester and showed the bass today to an orchestra pro that plays mainly 5-string in his section. He said the spacing and playability is very playable.

Let me know if you are interested by email @ sales@kensmithbasses.com
That's Ken for the info, that Five string hofner you have is a real beauty. I'm looking for a four string, I'm just a but curious to know if the Juzek I saw has the original neck since I haven't seen in person or on the internet a five string Juzek. Someone on talkbass said he has a five string bass with a juzek label.
I'll post some pics even if I don't end up purchasing the bass.
Old 06-09-2013, 02:51 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Sanchez View Post
That's Ken for the info, that Five string hofner you have is a real beauty. I'm looking for a four string, I'm just a but curious to know if the Juzek I saw has the original neck since I haven't seen in person or on the internet a five string Juzek. Someone on talkbass said he has a five string bass with a juzek label.
I'll post some pics even if I don't end up purchasing the bass.
Not all labels are where they belong.

Tags
juzek