Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Double Bass Talk in General

Closed Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 02:31 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Question 'C' Extension or not?

I am debating whether or not to put a 'C' Extension on this Pollmann I just acquired. It had a poorly made one and was taken off. I will pick it up in a few weeks and need to decide if I want to have the Extension added. Also, if and when I sell it, will I get my investment back on the Ext.?

So, how would you vote?
Old 04-18-2007, 06:30 PM
Posting Member

Brian Casey is on a distinguished road

Well, I was waiting for others with more experience to chime in, but from my perspective, I'd vote to add the extension. From my understanding of Pollman basses, this would be a very worthy candidate for an aspiring orchestral player and the extension would put it over the top.

I just wish is was out here on the left coast when it's done. I've love to get my hands on it and get to know the feel of a Pollman - especially with the extension.

I'm sure whatever decision you make, it'll work out well for you. From all the contributions you've made to the instrument in general, your positive bass karma has to be overflowing by now...

Brian
Old 04-18-2007, 06:41 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool Ext...

Well currently the Hole is in the Scroll already for the Ext. String. One of the Basses I added the Ext. to after a 'Poll' on TB a few years ago was sold and the first thing the guy did was take it off because he didn't use one. This Price range may also attract Jazz players who would usually go without an Ext. or at best a fingered Ext. with E-latch only. For me, I would go with the full gated Chromatic Ext. but that runs about 2k. Selling it to a guy that takes it off is a huge waste.

The Bass currently has a brand new set of Belcantos and I will loose the 'E' first off if I add the Ext.. Also, I just ordered some Sloan Gears thru Arnold and asked him to install them. This Bass has never had a good set of Gears so now's a good time to get that done.

After talking with Arnold about the Ext. we agreed that it would be best to wait and see if and when I sell the Bass what the buyer prefers Ext. wise.
Old 12-31-2007, 07:04 AM
Junior Posting Member

Don Carrigan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
I am debating whether or not to put a 'C' Extension on this Pollmann I just acquired. It had a poorly made one and was taken off. I will pick it up in a few weeks and need to decide if I want to have the Extension added. Also, if and when I sell it, will I get my investment back on the Ext.?

So, how would you vote?
=====
I prefer 5 strings as shown below.
I'll try again to post audio low notes on my 1820 Abraham Prescott Double Bass Viol.
Click here: http://home.earthlink.net/~prescottviol/SoundFilesMP3/

Choose from the following:
1. Swanee River in C, 1291 KB mp3 format
2. The Elephant in Bb, 4 notes lower than original key 4753 KB mp3 format

By the way, my Prescott is on loan to a major orchestra player while I recover from illness.
No, it is not for sale. However I will return phone calls for offers exceeding $90,000.00 (Ninety Thousand Dollars, Greenback American Type). Or, it might be donated to someone presently in mind. Ahh, make that $100,000.00 cash or certified check.

Don Carrigan, Prescott Data & Photos: http://home.earthlink.net~prescottviol
Old 12-31-2007, 08:03 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Wink 100k?..lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Carrigan View Post
=====
I prefer 5 strings as shown below.
I'll try again to post audio low notes on my 1820 Abraham Prescott Double Bass Viol.
Click here: http://home.earthlink.net/~prescottviol/SoundFilesMP3/

Choose from the following:
1. Swanee River in C, 1291 KB mp3 format
2. The Elephant in Bb, 4 notes lower than original key 4753 KB mp3 format

By the way, my Prescott is on loan to a major orchestra player while I recover from illness.
No, it is not for sale. However I will return phone calls for offers exceeding $90,000.00 (Ninety Thousand Dollars, Greenback American Type). Or, it might be donated to someone presently in mind. Ahh, make that $100,000.00 cash or certified check.

Don Carrigan, Prescott Data & Photos: http://home.earthlink.net~prescottviol
$100k? Very entertaining as usual Don. I don't think the world is ready to go over 50k for a Prescott yet. The next time you get a solid offer for over $40k (being yours is cut and modified), take the money and Run (or walk if your not up to it physically).

I often have a bass that I love and think the world of. The only problem selling wise is that the rest of the world doesn't always agree. I think my Prescott which was in pristine condition (before and after its restoration) may have fetched a record price for a Gamba model. The sound however was to die for and competed easily with every Italian and English Bass I have ever owned.

On my Post above about thinking about an Ext. on the Pollmann, that thought is a dead issue now as the Bass was sold earlier this year. As far as my preference all around it's either a straight 4-string or one with a Chromatic C-Extension.

I played 6 Christmas concerts in a 2 week period with 3 different Symphony orchestras and one chamber Orchestra. I used the Extension on every concert including a quick moving passage or two. I'm getting the hang of it now.
Old 01-01-2008, 01:11 AM
Junior Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
$100k? Very entertaining as usual Don. I don't think the world is ready to go over 50k for a Prescott yet.
You are correct Ken Smith. $100k is too much for a Prescott, even my 1820 5 string. But for a dealer such as you, Ken, the Price is $1,000,000.00 or more. The Price for collectors or museums is higher still. The price for a decent bass player who deserves it will include the $80 paid for it in 1950, plus perhaps $1 and cost of restoration, unless it is donated free of charge. Start saving your pennies now, Ken.

Don Carrigan
Old 01-01-2008, 01:21 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Wink lollllllllll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Carrigan View Post
You are correct Ken Smith. $100k is too much for a Prescott, even my 1820 5 string. But for a dealer such as you, Ken, the Price is $1,000,000.00 or more. The Price for collectors or museums is higher still. The price for a decent bass player who deserves it will include the $80 paid for it in 1950, plus perhaps $1 and cost of restoration, unless it is donated free of charge. Start saving your pennies now, Ken.

Don Carrigan
Ok Don, let me get this new math of yours. So, a deserving player can buy it now for $81.00? Is that including tax or is tax extra?

Or, if I pay you in pennies like you suggest who is gonna help you count them?

Sorry, but I am not in the market for your converted 5-string Don. I just put my Storioni down for the night after a bit of practice and I think that Bass suits me just fine, player, dealer, collector, you name it.

Oh and by the way, Happy New year Don and to everyone else. Jokes aside. I hope the new year brings you better health and more playing time.
Old 01-02-2008, 02:55 AM
Junior Posting Member

Default 5 string basses or cranky extension

To Ken Smith:
I don't think you quite understand, Ken. The "price" to you and certain other dealers would exceed $1,000,000.00 because I do not want it to end up in the WRONG (your) hands merely for money. Take a look at what some experts said about my bass you think is so deplorable:

1822: Prescotts first 5 double basses had ridulously wide 'cello shoulders, as wide as the hips, which he later cut down. That proves my busetto was made PRIOR to 1823, along with his rare, rare, sycamore open back narrow eared scroll and does not detract from it value or playability.
1951: "You better lock this up." (Glenn Miller Bassist).
1960s: "This is a Prescott, you absolutely must restore it to museum quality."
1970s: Guttenberg (Cambridge luthier, speaking from his hospital deathbed): "Thank you for the opportunity to work on your bass. My son is polishing it now and you can pick it up tomorrow. I asked about the value: "SAY ANYTHIN YOU LIKE -- IT HAS NO PRICE". (He died that night). IT HAS NO PRICE! DID YOU GET THAT, KEN?
2002: (While on the restoration bench in need for repair and convertion to 5 strings): An offer was made for $25,000 as is where is, without a stitch of work yet done. Later a Want Ad appeared in the Musicians Union magazine also offering $25,000 identifing the exact dimensions of my bass (39" fingerboard, etc, etc.) and could not be mistaken for any other known Prescott busetto.
2003: Restorer: "That belongs in a locked cabinet back stage at Boston Symphony Hall".
2005: Gary Karr: "You ought to donate it to the Smithsonian, they don't have any Prescotts."
2006: H&H Bassist: "It's suitable for any orchestra in the country."

Again, it is not for sale but if it were, DEALERS (like you) NEED NOT APPLY! And while you may consider it rather pedestrian, you disagree with several bassists in major orchestras such as:
Minnesota Symphony: 4 Prescotts
Boston Symphony: 3 Prescotts
Cleveland Orch.: 2 Prescotts
Cincinnati Orch: 2 Prescotts
Columbus Sym.: 1 Prescott
New York Phil.: 1 Prescott (a few years ago, at least)
Portland, OR.: 1 Prescott (Principal)
Portland, ME.: 1 Prescott
Louisville Orch.: 1 Prescott

You can find many Prescotts in other locations by clicking here: http://home.earthlink.net/~prescottviol/data/LOCATIONS_3Nov07.txt They are superb orchestral "anchor" basses with the tone, volume and projection of several other section basses. I contend it is superior to your "Prescott School" $45,000 bass intended for resale purporting to be a Prescott. Again, my Prescott is NOT FOR SALE TO MOST DEALERS. No, it's not an Italian or French solo bass, such as the small "squak boxes". It it way, way better. My bass will either be bequeathed, loaned, or sold very cheaply to a DESERVING player who appreciates it. Maybe an outright sale for peanuts ($81?) serves to transfer legal title and avoiding taxes even if it provokes jealous dealers.

Truthfully, Donald Carrigan, prescottviol@earthlink.net See Prescott Data & Photos: http://home.earthlink.net~prescottviol
Old 01-02-2008, 07:28 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool Prescott School?

Don, what Bass of mine are you referring to?

Also Don, in case you didn't notice, this Thread was about whether or not to put on Extension on a Pollmann Bass that I have since sold after starting this thread.

It seems that at the 'drop of a hat'-type mention of a Low note, you chime in with your Prescott. I don't know what your Prescott or any Prescott or any 5-string Bass has to do with this subject.

I was just asking for opinions about a 3/4 Pollmann I had and should I put
another Extension on IT, that was all.

My business by the way is NOT dealing in Double Basses. It is my hobby-turned-business. I don't make a living at it. My business is the mfg. of the Ken Smith Basses (electric BGs, 4, 5, 6 and 7-strings) plus the Smith Bass strings and related items.

The DB biz was mainly started to sell off the Basses I don't play anymore while I 'climb the ladder' Bass-wise. The 'Pedigree' Prescott I owned and sold was just a stepping stone. It was a great Bass but not as good as my English and Italian Basses I acquired along the way.

The two best sounding Basses (to me) on my web list to-date are the Hart Bass and the attr. Storioni. Two other favorites are the Gilkes and Martini. The Martini is going in for some repairs up at Arnolds' and the Gilkes is in settlement stages of sale. The Martini is the most comfortable Bass for me to play next to the Storioni. The Hart with it's wider Maggini style shoulders is actually easier for me to play on despite its comfort as compared to the Martini. The Storioni is 44"+ string length and although I can play it, my fingers do feel the extra stretch after awhile.

Until the Storioni is restored (and shortened) and my Mystery Bass's restoration completed, I don't know which Bass I will call my own. For now, the best playing (restored) and best sounding Bass I have is the Hart. Being that it's an Eb neck and wider shoulders, it will take time before the comfort matches my ease of playing it. Yes, I play it well but I am more comfortable feel-wise with the Martini. Go figure...

Don, good luck with your beautiful Prescott whatever you decide to do with it. I have no interest at this time in a 5-string.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:32 PM
Junior Posting Member

Michael Harrison Jr. is on a distinguished road

It's a really beautiful scroll on that bass that I'd hate to see covered up with an extension.

But at the same time I understand the importance now days of having an extension. And as much as I love the beauty of the scroll, I'm a believer that function still takes priority over looks, so I vote yes to extension.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:47 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool well..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Harrison Jr. View Post
It's a really beautiful scroll on that bass that I'd hate to see covered up with an extension.

But at the same time I understand the importance now days of having an extension. And as much as I love the beauty of the scroll, I'm a believer that function still takes priority over looks, so I vote yes to extension.
I sold this Bass a few months ago so I am closing up this Thread. Just a read now..
Closed Thread