Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Bows (and Rosin etc)

Old 05-19-2009, 07:57 PM
Junior Posting Member

Brandon Tuomikoski is on a distinguished road
Default Bausch Bows

I just bought a good deal, a Bausch Bow in nice condition.

It is a German bow from the turn of the century.

Can someone tell me about this bow?

I just bought my new $5000 bass now I have an antique Pernambucco German Bausch bow for $500! It was 1/2 off

Is this a professional bow? It is exceptionally light weight, has nickel and ebony features, a dark pernambucco. It looks like this was restored and fixed a few times by this store. But it is nice.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:41 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Exclamation $500?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Tuomikoski View Post
I just bought a good deal, a Bausch Bow in nice condition.

It is a German bow from the turn of the century.

Can someone tell me about this bow?

I just bought my new $5000 bass now I have an antique Pernambucco German Bausch bow for $500! It was 1/2 off

Is this a professional bow? It is exceptionally light weight, has nickel and ebony features, a dark pernambuco. It looks like this was restored and fixed a few times by this store. But it is nice.
Sounds a little fishy to me. This family was at the top in their time with all of them working only in the 19th century. This would be a rare find and I would estimate a Bow in playing condition with no breaks in the 4-6k range at a minimum. I would be VERY suspect if someone said, $500, half price!

LUDWIG CHRISTIAN AUGUST BAUSCH ( 1805 - 1871 ) Studied in Dresden and eventually set up his own firm in Leipzig. He combined the best elements of French and German styles, and achieved enough fame to be called the "German Tourte". His 2 sons, Otto and Ludwig produced bows until 1908.

Must be one other generation not recorded in the Books I have because they all die off in the 1870s, the sons that is.

In either case, you could have a Gem or a Bow you paid $500 for. Have an expert look at it if at all possible. Maybe, you need a refund and should return the Bow. I doubt that any Bausch Bow could be had for that price unless it's broken. Even a repaired Morizot sold recently for $2000 in my area and the Stick had been broken and repaired with a wire wrap up near the tip. A Bausch in the same condition would bring no less or more if broken.
Old 05-20-2009, 12:23 PM
Junior Posting Member

Well.... I called and asked the history of it.... they say 1890 is what they think.

It is pernambucco unlike most Bausch bows I have seen. It has ebony fittings. and an odd screw end, its not ebony or anything I know of, a very dark yellowy brown sort of soft material. Interesting. The bow is nice, I can get a good loud sound out of it. Very very light weight, lighter than the new pernambuccos the store was selling for $800+.
Old 05-20-2009, 12:55 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Lightbulb 1890?

Quote:
Well.... I called and asked the history of it.... they say 1890 is what they think.

It is pernambucco unlike most Bausch bows I have seen. It has ebony fittings. and an odd screw end, its not ebony or anything I know of, a very dark yellowy brown sort of soft material. Interesting. The bow is nice, I can get a good loud sound out of it. Very very light weight, lighter than the new pernambuccos the store was selling for $800+.
In 1890 the entire Bausch family was dead for over a decade already. A co-worker of the Family continued to make Bows with the Bausch stamp up until 1908. I highly doubt this Bow is authentic. Try posting some pics and also Google Raffin in France as well as Pfretchner in Germany and ask them what they think. They are the experts. Chris Brown is another USA Bow expert and I will see him at the ISB. We might be in the same room. He is another person to ask..
Old 05-20-2009, 03:44 PM
Junior Posting Member

Cool. Thanks Ken, I will ask for sure. And I will post some pictures.

One thing I found odd about this bow is that there are no Leather wrap, or silver coil wire wrapping around the stick like on most bows I see.

Is this because of its age? Did they not do that back then?

It is a round stick, which my bass teacher said was not that common. ??? Am I interpreting that right?
Old 05-20-2009, 04:23 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool huh?

Quote:
Cool. Thanks Ken, I will ask for sure. And I will post some pictures.

One thing I found odd about this bow is that there are no Leather wrap, or silver coil wire wrapping around the stick like on most bows I see.

Is this because of its age? Did they not do that back then?

It is a round stick, which my bass teacher said was not that common. ??? Am I interpreting that right?
Round is very common. My certified Bazin from that period is round. Bow Grips are like tires. They wear out and get replaced. It's not part of the bow, just an accessory like the Hair is.
Old 05-27-2009, 05:30 PM
Junior Posting Member

Dave Kaczorowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
German-style bows commonly do not have lapping.