Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > This New Bass > Modern Handmade Basses

Old 12-06-2010, 03:59 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Arnold's Facebook pics..

The Scroll pics. The original and 300 years later, a modified copy;

Back Button area;

Rib/profile;

The F holes;

These pics were copied by permission from Arnold's facebook page. When the Bass gets here later this month, we will take a full set of pics and post a full page on the website. When the original 'Storioni' (as it was known as) comes out of restoration, I will again make a new page on that bass as well as a side-by-side page of the original and the inspired copy.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:01 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Lightbulb and the Top & Back plates..

With no two shoulders being exactly identical, we picked one of the Shoulders and use that for all 4 of them, top and back.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:28 PM
Senior Posting Member

Eric Swanson is on a distinguished road

Congratulations, to both of you!

A lovely concept, and so beautifully made...

Thank you for sharing these photos.

Old 12-07-2010, 08:23 PM
Posting Member

Pino Cazzaniga is on a distinguished road

Neat work, powerful design... and he is making some friends there!
Old 12-07-2010, 09:14 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Thumbs up yes..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pino Cazzaniga View Post
Neat work, powerful design... and he is making some friends there!
Yes, all who have played the bass, love the feel and sound. A few have commented on how deep it is as well. Like almost an ocatave below to my ears. Nothing harsh or new sounding at all. For me, it's like putting one old bass down and picking up another. With my love for old smooth sounded deep orchestra type basses and owning quite a few of them now and before, the last thing I wanted would have been a bright sounding new bass. The only thing bright about this one is the smiles and open eyes it puts on those that have played and heard it. We had no idea it was going to come out this good but I had to insist on copying the original as close as possible to capture as much of its tone as possible. Luck was on our side I guess..
Old 12-12-2010, 10:07 AM
Posting Member

Craig Regan is on a distinguished road

Beautiful piece of spruce on the top!
Old 12-12-2010, 12:02 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Thumbs up top..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Regan View Post
Beautiful piece of spruce on the top!
The Top was finished/varnished with a special 'corduroy' effect to bring out the grain!

Also, it was a nice piece of wood as well..
Old 12-17-2010, 07:14 AM
Senior Posting Member

Is today still the day you get the new bass, Ken? I am excited enough, vicariously, that I remembered...

Old 12-17-2010, 11:35 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Thumbs up shhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Swanson View Post
Is today still the day you get the new bass, Ken? I am excited enough, vicariously, that I remembered...
Arnold is on the way as we speak.. First, we will go out for Lunch. Priorities..lol
Old 12-17-2010, 07:43 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Thumbs up ok, ok..

Quote:
The Bass is here.
It's amazing.
Made from well aged wood and to a very old design model.
The results were beyond prediction in the tone department.

It will now become my main bass. Being it's so pretty, I may need to use one of the others as a back-up so this one doesn't get scratched or banged up. Maybe I'll use the Hart as a back-up bass. Good choice you think?

Now I need a place to hide it..
Old 12-18-2010, 05:36 AM
Junior Posting Member

Geoff Chalmers is on a distinguished road

Hi Ken.
Congratulations! I've really enjoyed the thread. you are a lucky guy owning such a quality bass.
Cheers Geoff
Old 12-18-2010, 07:55 AM
Senior Posting Member

Adrian Levi is on a distinguished road

When do we get to see a whole LOT of pics of this bass ???
Old 12-18-2010, 12:45 PM
Senior Posting Member

The Hart as a "backup" bass?!

This new instrument must simply be incredible. Many happy congratulations to both you and Arnold.

Old 12-18-2010, 04:53 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Thumbs up the beginning...

Thanks guys. Yes, the bass is very special and it is not a design or pattern one would just make from thought. Having the original side by side was the key to success along with Arnold's hands. It was an experimental risk doing it to begin with as it's so different than any other bass as far as the dimensions are. I just had to see if it was possible to copy the pattern and modify it with corners, move the Fs up and out and still get at least a good sounding bass if not something close to the original. What we don't have is the 'exact' wood and species of the original, the age of it and the repairs as well as the centuries or settlement of the sum of its experiences.

That was a long sentence.. lol..

My point is that I was willing to take a chance and commission something that I thought would work. Arnold put his own work experience into it as well as far as the archings and graduations go so it IS a Schnitzer Bass but made off of a pattern he's never tried.

Now that it's here, I just have to play it and get over the anticipation from the building of it. Time to do some serious practicing now that I have no excuses at all.
Old 12-19-2010, 01:36 PM
Posting Member

Adrian Juras is on a distinguished road

Wow! That is great to hear Ken. The bass looks gorgeous. I'd love to hear it one day. It will be nice to hear your thoughts when the original is complete comparing both basses. When do you anticipate the restoration will be done?
Old 12-19-2010, 03:10 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Question when?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Juras View Post
Wow! That is great to hear Ken. The bass looks gorgeous. I'd love to hear it one day. It will be nice to hear your thoughts when the original is complete comparing both basses. When do you anticipate the restoration will be done?
You have to ask Arnold. It's hard to say. The Top is done and on the Ribs but the Ribs are not started yet. The Back is in progress and going smooth. The Scroll is repaired and grafted into a its new Neck but will go in last. I would guess way before Summer 2011.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:51 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Thumbs up ok..

I took the new bass out for a rehearsal today. It plays easy but it feels new. Duh..

I experimented playing some things in higher positions on lower strings like up most of the first octave of the E string and threw in some extension notes/8VL just to see how the bass responded.

It bows easy on all strings. Playing in an Orchestra is different than practicing at home. I cannot stress enough about practicing to know your bass as I had some intonation problems tonight. I played sharp and flat up and down the bass (only on occasion) as I was just 'going for it' and not worrying about where the notes were just to see how well the bass fit ME right out of the gate.

I think sticking with just ONE bass for now (harder for me than sticking to a diet.. lol) would be a good plan to play better in tune.

The bass seemed to be fairly loud, deep and smooth but had punch as well. I think the volume and presence brought out the intonation partly as well as adjusting to the height and feel of the overall bass. When playing it alone (no Orchestra) I can concentrate and play much better in tune. Once you throw new music in front of me, my attention is on the music and the bass needs to automatic under my fingers.

I remember playing the Riccardi bass and feeling how comfortable it was in my hands and against my body. Playing with the exact same Stool tonight I felt that same or rather similar comfort. The Riccardi was over a 44" string length and this one is under 42". Moving up the neck I was usually sharp possibly because of my muscle memory on the original needing more stretch to reach the notes. I am sure that in time I will get used to the modified length of this Copy bass as well as the original once it comes out of restoration at a similar length to what this one is now.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:36 AM
Senior Posting Member

Good to hear that I am not alone. My old bass had a 44" string length. Now that I am playing on something with a 41 5/8" string length, I have had to spend a bunch of time doing double stops and shifting exercises to get my intonation back to an acceptable place.

It does take some time to retrain the muscles, but it seems to be improving. I still notice my inaccuracy most around the octave transition area, moving in thumb position...

What a beautiful bass, you have; sounds as if it will be worth the (nearly) monogamous relationship. Congratulations, again...

Old 01-03-2011, 10:16 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Wink well..

Quote:
Good to hear that I am not alone. My old bass had a 44" string length. Now that I am playing on something with a 41 5/8" string length, I have had to spend a bunch of time doing double stops and shifting exercises to get my intonation back to an acceptable place.

It does take some time to retrain the muscles, but it seems to be improving. I still notice my inaccuracy most around the octave transition area, moving in thumb position...

What a beautiful bass, you have; sounds as if it will be worth the (nearly) monogamous relationship. Congratulations, again...
Thanks.. Normally I play basses that are from 41-42" and have been doing so all along. The Riccardi was the only long one I had but being that this is almost the same feel to my body, my hands seem to go places they are not invited.. lol... Time to re-train..
Old 01-03-2011, 06:26 PM
Senior Posting Member

Arnold Schnitzer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
Thanks.. being that this is almost the same feel to my body, my hands seem to go places they are not invited..
Ken, have you switched teams?