Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > This New Bass > Modern Handmade Basses

Old 01-03-2011, 07:01 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Default huh??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold Schnitzer View Post
Ken, have you switched teams?
Ok, I get it now. So when you retire from Bass making you will move down to Florida and do Stand-up in the southern Borscht belt?

Don't expect that many laughs..
Old 01-04-2011, 12:42 PM
Senior Posting Member

Arnold Schnitzer is on a distinguished road

Not quitting my day job.
Old 01-04-2011, 02:02 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Thumbs up lol..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold Schnitzer View Post
Not quitting my day job.
Smart move!
Old 01-05-2011, 12:13 PM
Senior Posting Member

Eric Swanson is on a distinguished road

Ken,

Any sound or video clips of the new bass?

Old 01-05-2011, 12:38 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Question ?? me??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Swanson View Post
Ken,

Any sound or video clips of the new bass?
No, but come over and make some for me. I have no clue how to post them. My son would but he's away for now. How can you hear a DB on little speakers? You need to feel the walls shaking in the room. It is just about as loud and full sounding as any bass and the G and D strings are deep sounding as well. No harsh new type sounds anywhere. I can feel it's new and that's about all.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:27 AM
Senior Posting Member

Bin Hire is on a distinguished road

Ken, how is that new bass playing?
Old 01-12-2011, 01:06 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Thumbs up how?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bin Hire View Post
Ken, how is that new bass playing?
Not very well at all on its own unless, I am playing it!

Seriously, it plays like butter and all the notes are just where you expect them to be. If this bass was 200-300 years old, there would be very little to compete with it anywhere. Wait.. Ok, yes, I have that bass too, the original..

Arnold did a great job on the bass and instead of a flatback like the original, we went with a roundback. Arnold carved the Back arch more like a Panormo but graduated in thickness as Panormo used a 6mm thickness all around on both plates on many basses.

My next upcoming Orchestra concert requires a pickup/amp on one tune, Theme from Rocky as I also have the Electric part for that piece. I don't feel like cutting the wings of this Bridge just yet for my pickup because I already have another bass that is. Also, the stage is quite cramped at this place so I think I will just use the other bass this time.

So, the new bass is doing fine and I practice on it everyday regardless of the other basses I doodle with as well. Thank's for asking..
Old 01-12-2011, 01:25 AM
Senior Posting Member

Richard Prowse is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
Not very well at all on its own unless, I am playing it!
There's always one joker in the pack.
Quote:
Seriously, it plays like butter and all the notes are just where you expect them to be. If this bass was 200-300 years old, there would be very little to compete with it anywhere. Wait.. Ok, yes, I have that bass too, the original..
So, the aging process is the biggy? This might sound like a dumb question but, in your opinion, say a bass played at 50% of its potential, what do you think that 200 years would add - bearing in mind that it was a fully carved, well designed/built bass?
Old 01-12-2011, 02:44 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Wink biggie?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Prowse View Post
There's always one joker in the pack.

So, the aging process is the biggy? This might sound like a dumb question but, in your opinion, say a bass played at 50% of its potential, what do you think that 200 years would add - bearing in mind that it was a fully carved, well designed/built bass?
Ok, the last bass I had for 200 years went from new to 200 years and sounded like.. ah, I can't remember that far back..
Old 01-27-2011, 01:31 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Arrow new page..

Ok, here is the link to the new page we just put up. http://www.kensmithbasses.com/double...hnitzer-smith/

Here's a preview from my Link;
Old 01-28-2011, 12:59 PM
Posting Member

Ken McKay is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Beautiful workmanship and design. The varnish is superb and the best of all of Schnitzer's that I have seen. The scroll is slightly quirky and that adds a lot of interest to the clean workmanship in that area.

I would be pretty proud of that one Ken!
Old 01-28-2011, 01:13 PM
Posting Member

Eric Hochberg is on a distinguished road
Default Wow

Just too gorgeous!
Old 01-28-2011, 02:01 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Thumbs up smiles..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken McKay View Post
Beautiful workmanship and design. The varnish is superb and the best of all of Schnitzer's that I have seen. The scroll is slightly quirky and that adds a lot of interest to the clean workmanship in that area.

I would be pretty proud of that one Ken!
If you guys only knew what went in to this bass!..

The Varnishing was something special and the wood all over has some tiny flaws and nothing was done to cover them up. The Scroll on the original is simplistically beautiful. The Copy is more elaborate but hey, she's mine so I get what I want. I loved the Teardrop on the Martini which was off center but the Candi Teardrop is perfect. Some natural flaws here and there in the wood and how the wood took the varnish in my opinion just adds to its natural beauty. It IS tempting to smooth everything out but I was not looking for 'plastic' and nor would Arnold (I assume) go that route either. The Top is done in a way that you can feel all the fibers across the grain known as Corduroy. Like the pants!..

Ground coloring was applied to the Back and Ribs and then sanded out leaving the darker flames highlighted. Then it was varnished over. This was done to add a natural look to the aging without using chains or tools. The Ribs themselves show some natural rippling which I have seen on a few newer basses as well as many old ones.

Yes guys, it's a beautiful bass and I thank you all for your compliments. The tone is so pleasing that playing Pizz with Belcantos, it pumps out air like Gut strings and they feel thicker under my fingers. Switching to the Hart back to back with the same strings on feels completely different so I know it's the bass and not the strings doing that. Although I was going for an Orchestra bass and it's great in that respect, it's also a fantastic thick punchy sounding Jazz bass as well.

Maybe Arnold will come in here and say a few words. He's a little busy trying to finish the restoration on the original. Maybe a side-by-side photo session would be in order up at his shop with both the new and old meeting for the first time all strung up.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:03 AM
Senior Posting Member

Quote:

Maybe Arnold will come in here and say a few words.
I appreciate greatly all the kind words and support.

This was an intense project for me. I'm not accustomed to getting so much input from the person for whom the instrument is being built, especially from someone as knowledgeable and particular as Ken. At every step in the design and building process, Ken made it perfectly clear what he wanted. "Lush sounding. Deep. Easy to play and easy to get around". Every choice made regarding wood, arching, graduating, shape, etc. was done with "deep and lush" in mind as the tonal goal. Top wood: Engelmann (deep and lush). Shape: wide in the middle, like the original (deep and lush). Arching: pronounced in the back, flattish in the top center (deep and lush). Bridge width and bass bar placement: wide (deep and lush). I guess you get the picture. The bass came out as desired, deep and lush. A side benefit is that it speaks very quickly, as it is fairly light but stiff.

Ken likes a dark and complex sound because he is surrounded by a collection of ancient masterpieces. To have my creation meet with his approval, and hold its own in that company is rewarding and inspiring. And to get paid, to boot!
Old 02-03-2011, 08:18 AM
Senior Posting Member

Matthew Tucker is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Matthew Tucker

Nice work Arnold, I DO like that head carving!

The outline is quite unique, with its small corners. The bass looks a little tubby but at the same time elegant. It isn't so much that the centre is wide as the upper bout is narrow and tall.

I am frustrated seeing only small pictures, Ken. Got any bigger ones or nice sharp closeups of the corners, the purfling and/or that show the wood textures??

How does the sound compare to the original? Are the organ pipes still there?
Old 02-03-2011, 11:12 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool pics, etc..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Tucker View Post
Nice work Arnold, I DO like that head carving!

The outline is quite unique, with its small corners. The bass looks a little tubby but at the same time elegant. It isn't so much that the centre is wide as the upper bout is narrow and tall.

I am frustrated seeing only small pictures, Ken. Got any bigger ones or nice sharp closeups of the corners, the purfling and/or that show the wood textures??

How does the sound compare to the original? Are the organ pipes still there?
Matt, my son took these pics in a hurry the other night so I could get the page up. Arnold's facebook pics are nicer. The pics on my page are also sized a bit and it's a longer slender look in real than anything squat. They came out distorted and blurred as well. I will get new ones up one day but because it's not really a bass for sale (unless one wants to order my model made new), we didn't go crazy with the pics, yet!

The Original is about 300 years old and we can't figure a way to put that component into a new bass other than waiting 300 years! But the depth or sound is there and the low strings almost increase in volume over the D and G strings. The Original is a flatback with narrow spaced f-holes. That in itself will change the tone as well the individual exact pieces of wood. The original 2-pc laminated Spruce/Maple Burl Ribs on the original are or were very resonant but in time they blistered all over rather then cracking like with normal solid ribs. Unless we try a few more basses copying the parts we changed for longevity we will never know. We will also need 300 years of playing it in to compare but by then, the original will be 600 years old! So, WE will never know.

The original is still in restoration so after IT'S done, we can compare the modified original all repaired to the copy of the modified bass and get a 'real-time' comparison. For now, I am quite happy with the results. I can take out the new bass with as much confidence as any of the older ones. The differences are mainly the played in aged tone. Other than the aged factor, there are no more or less differences here than comparing the Gilkes, Hart, Martini, Panormo or any of the other basses I have taken to work in recent years. They are all different and all very good professional high grade basses. The new bass will sit amongst them equally in time. I am sure about that.

One thing I want to point out is that Arnold did not go for cosmetic perfection on this bass regardless of how beautiful it looks overall. It came out how it came out within the details. Older basses were often made this way as the DB was not the most important instrument of the Shop so it suffered in some areas of its cosmetics but not in tone as we now know. This is somewhat a non-deliberate way of making something with simplicity. Looks do not equal tone. I wanted tone. The original is made very simply so that's the brain you need turned on when making this. If you look at the bass close up in person at the corners, details, purfling, varnish, etc., you will see an individually handmade bass. If Arnold makes another, it will not look exactly the same no matter how hard he tries..
Old 02-03-2011, 04:15 PM
Senior Posting Member

Matthew Tucker is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Matthew Tucker

Quote:
One thing I want to point out is that Arnold did not go for cosmetic perfection on this bass regardless of how beautiful it looks overall. It came out how it came out within the details. Older basses were often made this way as the DB was not the most important instrument of the Shop so it suffered in some areas of its cosmetics but not in tone as we now know. This is somewhat a non-deliberate way of making something with simplicity. Looks do not equal tone. I wanted tone. The original is made very simply so that's the brain you need turned on when making this. If you look at the bass close up in person at the corners, details, purfling, varnish, etc., you will see an individually handmade bass. If Arnold makes another, it will not look exactly the same no matter how hard he tries..
Yes, and that is what I'm keen to see. For me, beauty is not perfect and glossy and symmetrical in every dimension. Beauty is being able to see the hand of the creator and the traces of history.

I haven't seen any pics of this finished bass yet on any of Arnold's pages.

Last edited by Matthew Tucker; 02-03-2011 at 04:26 PM.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:46 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool pics..

Quote:
Yes, and that is what I'm keen to see. For me, beauty is not perfect and glossy and symmetrical in every dimension. Beauty is being able to see the hand of the creator and the traces of history.

I haven't seen any pics of this finished bass yet on any of Arnold's pages.
Arnold has some in progress pics but he has to get with his web guy to put them up. Maybe when the original is done we will do a pic shoot with both of them side by side. I will also be getting together with Riccardi's Wife and son to show them the bass when it's all done along with my friend Kevin who introduced me to the Family originally and helped my to acquire the bass. They too should see the pair together if at least just for a nice afternoon.

On my pics, you can click the + and blow them up. The focus looks like you just took your glasses off. lol
Old 02-03-2011, 06:34 PM
Senior Posting Member

Quote:
For me, beauty is not perfect and glossy and symmetrical in every dimension. Beauty is being able to see the hand of the creator and the traces of history.
Perfectly stated!
Old 02-23-2011, 08:55 AM
Junior Posting Member

Yeong Cham is on a distinguished road
Default Tuning Machines

Quote:

Hi Ken/Arnold,

Congratulations on the great looking and sounding bass!

Are those English Baker tuning machines?

I'm asking because all the Baker style tunings machines that I've seen here in London have screws on the other side of the cheek to hold the cog in place. Would you please share how do they work (without screw) on your bass?