Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Electric Basses > Amps, etc. [BG]

Old 09-01-2008, 02:33 PM
Junior Posting Member

Bram Schoonderbeek is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Glockenklang

My rig consists of:
a Glockenklang Soul top 440 watts and two 2x10 Duo Cabinets

I have owned other brands but nothing I've tried compares really, it's an amp that makes your bass sound like an acoustic instrument, it's really awefully transparant, also that means it doesn't hide or smooth-out any imperfections your instrument might have, also it really really fast. I never turn a knob on that thing everything is flat and, believe it or not, I play all my basses passive on it, the only thing I do is give the gain just a nodge of hair just giving that extra little edge of dynamics and caracter. It's one amzing amp, you buy this once you never look at another thing really, atleast thats how I feel

Only thing missing... a Smith... but that will soon change
Once I have that in my hands I won't find the time to post on forums anymore hehehe
Old 09-10-2008, 04:12 AM
Junior Posting Member

DeTavio Crudup is on a distinguished road

My rigs consist of a SWR SW400 with a Goliath II ( pre-fender). My second rig is a Gallian-Krueger 700RBII 2X10 combo. I use that for the smaller venues.
Old 09-18-2008, 02:39 PM
Junior Posting Member

ed hauser is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ed hauser

hey guys, new person here. im using an eden wt800 with ebs 15 bottom and hartke 410 top with a boss gt6b. i set everything flat and adjust at the bass. sometimes ill use (in small settings due to club or stage size, or if i dont feel like lifting heavy stuff), just an eden 550 and hartke 410 with my korg ax10b. most of the time i use my smith bass, its very very warm feeling. but if im more into having fun than tone control i use the fender jazz plus (seafoam green and ugly as sin, but it plays itself). and i always run through my yamaha ne1 magic box.

Last edited by ed hauser; 09-18-2008 at 04:17 PM.
Old 11-12-2008, 12:11 PM
Junior Posting Member

Jim White is on a distinguished road

Another new guy here I have a small PA system, with a Carvin 12 channel mixer and 400 watt power amp powering my old band's Yamaha stage monitors. It was far cheaper than a new combo or dedicated bass amp, and sounds great for a now retired former bar band rocker's living room setup. I'm thinking of getting a nice stereo delay to add a bit of separation since I can go stereo with my setup, but at the moment it is just straight into my little PA and sounds great.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:04 AM
Posting Member

David Alan McIntire II is on a distinguished road

One more fairly new guy here, just findin my way around. For the record, usin a Mesa Impulse 600 and a Bergantino HT-310 as my main rig. Also have an SWR Red Head, the original 200w version, and both Goliath III 2x and 4x10 cabs. I'll use the Mesa and both Goliath cabs on real big gigs, just the Red Head for teeny, intimate stuff. But generally use the Berg. Loud cab, one of best stand alones I've ever used.
Old 02-07-2009, 07:37 PM
Junior Posting Member

Keir Riggs is on a distinguished road

As of now I use ofcourse SWR grand prix preamp , Carvin DCM 1000 pwr ampw/ SWR triad cab. For the smaller gigs I use Carvin BR 610 combo, or my SWR setup w/ a peavey 210TX. I try to keep it simple.
Old 02-25-2009, 12:47 PM
Junior Posting Member

Raffaele Calegari is on a distinguished road
Default weight loss...

Hi all!
I actually use a Walter Woods blue light and an Ampeg 4x10HE, but i am evaluating to switch to bergantino EX112..
After 15 years of amateur gigs my back wants some relief!
Old 03-01-2009, 01:09 PM
Posting Member

Roger Vaughan is on a distinguished road

Just for fun, in light of what's on display here, I'm posting my humble dog-eared rig:

The gig-rig is...
-ART Tube EQ (preamp);
-Crest FA 1201 (power amp);
-EV B-115 cab, BW 1504-8 ohm loaded (needs to be a 1504-4 ohm, but it works);

The rock band (read: "Garage-Level Punk band") rig is...
-Peavey Mark III head;
-2x Peavey 115BX/BW cabs, BW 1502-8 loaded (need to change these to 1504-4, to get the most out of the Peavey MK III Battle-Axe).

(Playing a Smith Burner CR4, Godin A4 fretless, Squier Classic Vibe 50's P-Bass and Peavey Dyna-Bass Unity according to the mood of the evening and ferociousness- or not!- of the set list.)

I'm more into "Thump" than nuance/high freq's, so I've kept my amp expenses down to a minimum- seems to work that way, and frankly it's necessary at this point. But I love the feel and play of the Smith Burner- and it looks cool! It has a classic 'mojo' going on somehow, in a Post-Fender Era kind of way. So in this way I'm "wasting" the Smith on this old funky gear, but it works for me.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:02 PM
Posting Member

Dave Martin is on a distinguished road

Compared to you guys (at least the last half dozen posts), I'm really a slacker. I tend to use an SWR Super Redhead for both electric and upright bass. No outboard preamps, no cool effects - just an old, beat up amp. I took an Eden Metro out on an upright and an electric gig this week, but it didn't do it for me on either. If I thought that 30 watts of pure tube power would work, I'd start taking my old B15 out on all my gigs, but as soon as a drummer enters the equation, the B15 loses...
Old 03-01-2009, 10:24 PM
Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Martin View Post
Compared to you guys (at least the last half dozen posts), I'm really a slacker. I tend to use an SWR Super Redhead for both electric and upright bass. No outboard preamps, no cool effects - just an old, beat up amp. I took an Eden Metro out on an upright and an electric gig this week, but it didn't do it for me on either. If I thought that 30 watts of pure tube power would work, I'd start taking my old B15 out on all my gigs, but as soon as a drummer enters the equation, the B15 loses...
Nothing wrong with an old beat up amp! Doesn't the SWR do it for you? Man, I'd use that Super Redhead with an extension cab- maybe a Bag-End SD-15. Done deal.

I'm only using the outboard EQ and power amp because they were available cheap. I'd love an SWR Bassic 350 head and Goliath II cab- or a Bag End. But I'm building a Bill Fitzmaurice Omni 15 Tallboy cab this spring, and at that point will look for a head in earnest, probably give up the Crest poweramp. Simple is really the way to go for amps, for me. I don't like having a lot of pieces of gear.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:42 PM
Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Vaughan View Post
Nothing wrong with an old beat up amp! Doesn't the SWR do it for you? Man, I'd use that Super Redhead with an extension cab- maybe a Bag-End SD-15. Done deal.

I'm only using the outboard EQ and power amp because they were available cheap. I'd love an SWR Bassic 350 head and Goliath II cab- or a Bag End. But I'm building a Bill Fitzmaurice Omni 15 Tallboy cab this spring, and at that point will look for a head in earnest, probably give up the Crest poweramp. Simple is really the way to go for amps, for me. I don't like having a lot of pieces of gear.
An extension cabinet? Jeez - one of my complaints about the Super Redhead is its weight!

Actually, If I just replaced the wheels, the SWR would still be good for the electric bass work that I do (with an extension cabinet for the loudest gigs), but for the upright stuff, I'm not completely satisfied with the sound I'm getting from the SWR.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:36 AM
Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Martin View Post
An extension cabinet? Jeez - one of my complaints about the Super Redhead is its weight!

Actually, If I just replaced the wheels, the SWR would still be good for the electric bass work that I do (with an extension cabinet for the loudest gigs), but for the upright stuff, I'm not completely satisfied with the sound I'm getting from the SWR.
Have you tried standing the SWR on it's side? Word has it that speakers arranged in a vertical orientation will give up a more 'hearable' sound, and a little more of it. Dunno, just a thought. That and an EQ tweak might bring the right noise.
Old 08-07-2009, 05:48 PM
Senior Posting Member

Albert Smith is on a distinguished road

Well here we go again, I just switched out my Ampeg B2r head for the SWR SM 500 Bass head.
Old 08-07-2009, 06:11 PM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Smile Lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Smith View Post
Well here we go again, I just switched out my Ampeg B2r head for the SWR SM 500 Bass head.
Lol! Albert, what's up? I thought you were an Ampeg-man to the bone? What happened?

Old 08-10-2009, 08:36 AM
Junior Posting Member

Keir Riggs is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Well .......... I finally have it !!! I have replaced my whole rig........ I now have a Markbass LMKII , Carvin BR 210 cab , Hartke Hydrive 410 . I can honestly say the Markbass will be the last amp I will ever own. Now I'm working on a Markbass 210 & 15 cab setup. The Carvin & Hartke will do for now for economic reasons , but I will have that MB setup!!
Old 08-15-2009, 02:17 AM
Junior Posting Member

ED LOZANO is on a distinguished road
Default Ditto

Markbass II and SD 800 with various cabinets.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	epifani.jpg
Views:	768
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	1178  
Old 09-18-2010, 05:35 PM
Junior Posting Member

Igor Lepak is on a distinguished road

I play thru a Genz benz shuttle max 12. Its 6.5 pounds ! I play it thriugh a 4ohm Swr 2x10 cab with Carvin neo speakers. Nice for that medium venue and great as a monitor.
Old 09-18-2010, 06:30 PM
Posting Member

Anton Hasias is on a distinguished road

Hi All,
No kidding I have tryed about everything and I decided to build my own rig considering the things I like to a bass rig (pure tube sound at a high quality and db level); So my main amp part is an Ampeg SVT-VR with a Mesa Powerhouse 1200W 4x12" and a slave part, only for powering this setup, which is an Ampeg SVT4 PRO with two boxes Ampeg SVT-410HLF and an Ampeg SVP 1600 with two boxes Ampeg SVT-18E. (all US made of course). This means 2300W RMS of pure and wild Smith sound.

Btw, the live sound technicians hate me and I have no neighbours, they left town...lol

Best regards
Old 09-18-2010, 07:09 PM
Posting Member

Since my last reply, I've been using a Fender Bassman TV 12. It's smaller and lighter than the SWR, it's retro look fits perfectly with the gigs I'm playing, and (with a Fishman Platinum Pro preamp), the sound is exactly what I need to have.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:27 PM
Posting Member

Christopher Rhodes is on a distinguished road
Default Genz Benz 12.0 with Aguilar 2x12

I recently played through a bass rig with the Shuttle 12.0 and 2x12 Aguilar. Wow! This amp really fills up a space nicely and not too big.