Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Electric Basses > Woods, Electronics, & Components

Old 12-27-2008, 09:41 PM
Posting Member

Roger Vaughan is on a distinguished road
Default "Old School" Tone From Your Smith?

I hope Mr McGuire won't mind my making reference to his post here, but I just read this on a nearby thread here in the forums: http://www.smithbassforums.com/showt...0222#post10222

My question relates to the end of the post when he mentions the tone of his bass. Do any of you Smith bassists use your Smith bass for motown covers, that Zeppelin or Sabbath set, or some other place in your performance when you might also use a (*Gasp!*) Fender? I'm asking because I find a modern, 'jazzy' tone seems to prevail among the models I've heard.

Can you play dirty low-down electric blues with a Smith?
Old 12-28-2008, 09:05 AM
Junior Posting Member

John McGuire is on a distinguished road

Roger: no problem, I don't mind. I had the same question. I have tried to use the Smith for those type of classic rock and jazz standard gigs with not much luck being able to get a tone which can work in the mix. However, for the fusion jazz, chordal stuff I also do, the Smith is the best. I feel I can also get a better Jaco type tone from it when compared to my old Fender Jazz bass. Also the Smith does interplay with acoustic guitars well in my exper. I did a large club a couple of weeks ago (+600 people), mostly classic rock type stuff with some jazz Christmas songs in for good measure. I tried my new Smith out. I couldn't get it to cut through, especially in the upper registers. I pulled out the old Rickenbacker and it ripped through with better clarity in the upper/mids and lows. I only paid $400 and had to reglue a cracked headstock for this old ric and it always gets the most audience amazement for some reason on both the tone and the looks, go figure.

I know I am going to get shot for saying this: I wish there were tone selectors on the smith to get a more agressive old school tone, like my old ric 4003 or Jazz. So we could have both the best in modern tone and abit of old school when you need a dose. That way I would only take one bass to all gigs.

The Smith's feel, playability, quality is what impresses me most! It is unbelievable!

Cheers, J.P.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:18 AM
Posting Member

Roger Vaughan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McGuire View Post
Roger: no problem, I don't mind. I had the same question. I have tried to use the Smith for those type of classic rock and jazz standard gigs with not much luck being able to get a tone which can work in the mix. However, for the fusion jazz, chordal stuff I also do, the Smith is the best. ... I did a large club a couple of weeks ago (+600 people), mostly classic rock type stuff with some jazz Christmas songs in for good measure. I tried my new Smith out. I couldn't get it to cut through, especially in the upper registers. I pulled out the old Rickenbacker and it ripped ...

I know I am going to get shot for saying this: I wish there were tone selectors on the smith ... So we could have both the best in modern tone and abit of old school when you need a dose. That way I would only take one bass to all gigs.

The Smith's feel, playability, quality is what impresses me most! It is unbelievable!

Cheers, J.P.
You shouldn't get 'shot' for your comment, no instrument can do everything (Edit! superlatively well. I see that a majority of Smith players are doing jazz, funk, other non-'old-school rock' ensmbles. Meanwhile, that's the answer I was (not ) looking for, thank you John!

Now I'm believing it's still possible to find what I'm after with it I think, I'm going to try anyhow. Things don't always finish the way you'd expect, and some things work in ways you'd have never expected! I'm using an ART Tube EQ from out of a mixer for my preamp, and the rest of my rig is pretty much non-boutique, rock-band fare. A Sansamp might find it's way inot the signal-chain as well... maybe I can tailor it close to what I want if it's a challenge. A sound solo'd is not the way to judge a sound in a band mix... however your testimony does stand pretty clear.

This Burner I have is the best player in my little quiver here. I have a Peavey Dyna-Bass Unity which is so easy to play it's almost embarrassing, but it doesn't have the well-distributed 'heft' or the thoughtful and integral construction of the Burner- tight as a drum, solid, and just feels very right. That was the reason for keeping it- not even the sound, really. Bass-friendly mods (no drilling) might make a needed adjustment if I find it necessary later. Trade/re-sale value is not an issue.

I've seen guys play instruments in rock bands that were pretty surprising. But your post does make me a tad wistful about my old '76 Rickie 4001, "Buzz"... I sold it for worries about a blooming nerve issue. Dumb. Anyway, thanks for the reply John.
Old 01-28-2009, 11:54 PM
Posting Member

David Alan McIntire II is on a distinguished road

I'm new here, so I'll introduce myself. David Alan McIntire. I happen to be the proud owner of a '95 CR6G-MW, and use my Smith for all the styles you mention. I play in several groups ranging from AC/DC tribute bands, to beach/boogie/blues groups to several all out Metal bands. My bass does them all with ease. Motown stuff? One third toward front pickup, passive mode. AC/DC? Balance straight up, passive. Metal, from Disturbed to Dream Theater, one third to rear PU, bass control rolled off just below detent, mids and treble boosted just a hair under a third up, and on my amp, run a boost at 120hz. I've found this bass to be MORE consistent between styles, and more of a chameleon than my American Deluxe Jazz V. In my opinion, of course. My band mates gave me a weird look for the 6 string thing for about two seconds, then I played the thing for them, not a word since unless I DON"T bring it.