Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Electric Basses > Amps, etc. [BG]

Old 06-03-2009, 05:20 PM
Posting Member

Roger Vaughan is on a distinguished road

Just because I got a notification of Tim Bishop's newest post this came to mind: A fellow who goes by the moniker "Greenboy" over on'Talkbass.com' (I know, a site of some notoriety around here!) has come up with what is reported to be a stupendous design inroad for a front-firing, small, potent, bi-ampable cab. See the humongous , 2-part thread on it to get the lowdown. It's a DIY, but you can probably find a cabinet-maker in your area to build you one. I can also build it, but I'm not advertising myself- just saying.

Heads... there are a million of 'em! GK's MB502 (or something like that) gets the newest raves.
Old 06-07-2009, 05:58 PM
Junior Posting Member

Rainer Bastian is on a distinguished road
Default TecAmp + Epifani

Just got my TecAmp Puma 1000 !!!!

2*500 Watt / 4 Ohm at 2,8 kg !!! Seems to have a Powersoft DigiMod Module in it.

Recently I paired it with two Epi UL cabs on stage and the sound with my BMT Elite V floored everyone in the house. I play soul and funk in a VERY loud soul band and I had no problems to cut through. Other basses deliver also their unique characteristics through that amp without any discoloration.

Normally I play an Epifani 902C (also light and loud and a perfect match for Smith basses !) or a Glockenklang HeartRock through an Epi 410/212 UL pair. The TecAmp Puma delivers just a similar tone - creamy, clear and deep low end and tons of attack and .... LOUD ! - unbelievable !
Old 06-12-2009, 03:02 PM
Junior Posting Member

Keir Riggs is on a distinguished road
Talking Markbass

Well, I guess it's time to speak. I have had the opportunity to play practically every brand of amp out there. I currently use an SWR rig ( grand prix preamp) carvin DCM 1000 pwr amp, SWR Triad cab. But I must say, I took Mr. Chris Rhodes' advice and tried the Markbass LMK II w/ the 2X10 cab............. I played my custom Burner 6 through it. I experienced the most incredible sound from that thing! The clarity, tone , bottom end, was just amazing! I sat in GC for 2 1/2 hour just playing with the knobs and I just didn't want to stop playing, My friends had to drag me out of there. I'll sell every piece of gear I own to get one of these amps. Hands down the most incredible clear true tone I have ever heard!

Last edited by Keir Riggs; 06-12-2009 at 03:37 PM.
Old 07-16-2009, 03:51 PM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keir Riggs View Post
Well, I guess it's time to speak. I have had the opportunity to play practically every brand of amp out there.
Have you tried the Eden WT-550 or WT-405 through any of the Eden Cabinets?

Old 07-31-2009, 11:16 PM
Senior Posting Member

Oren Hudson is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keir Riggs View Post
I'll sell every piece of gear I own to get one of these amps. Hands down the most incredible clear true tone I have ever heard!
Did you do it and do you still feel the same way? Just curious.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:30 AM
Posting Member

frederic vidal is on a distinguished road

Have you tried a TC ELECTRONIC RH 450 ?

With the RS 212 cab seems to be a great amp...

8,8 pound for the head and 450 W !
Old 12-28-2009, 10:20 PM
Senior Posting Member

Thumbs up Eden WTX-500

Eden's newest head is the WTX-500. 4 lbs. and 500W at a 4 Ohm load!

Old 12-30-2009, 01:15 AM
Posting Member

Christopher Rhodes is on a distinguished road
Default Little Mark 800 & Little Mark Tube 800

The new Little Mark's now are 800 watts with a 4 Ohm load!

6.5 lbs

Smith Bass (MD7 or BMT 6/with new smith strings) + LMKII + Bag End cabinet = superior sound.

Last edited by Christopher Rhodes; 12-30-2009 at 01:38 AM. Reason: too much info...
Old 01-10-2010, 08:23 PM
Senior Posting Member

Cool Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Rhodes View Post
The new Little Mark's now are 800 watts with a 4 Ohm load!
The difference of 300W and the additional 2.5 lbs in weight (over the WTX-500) doesn't impress me with "new Little Mark's". Why? Because there's not much discernable volume diffence in the additional wattage (maybe +1.5 db). You don't get coverage by adding wattage, you get coverage by adding speakers.

What is more noteworthy is it appears the LMT800 utilizes a 6205 tube in the pre-amp stage. This gives you the tone dynamic of mixing tube and solid-state. Theoretically, this should provide for some really nice tone. This is what Eden has been doing for years in their WT Series Amps: A Hybrid Bass Amp design. The newer Eden WTX Series utilize the Golden Ear Chip to accomplish the same.

Last edited by Tim Bishop; 01-10-2010 at 10:01 PM.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:36 AM
Posting Member

Christopher Rhodes is on a distinguished road
Default Agreed - More cabinets means better sound

Tim,

I agree. More Cabinet means more volume; coverage; etc. I generally run two 4x10 bagend cabinetsm or two 1x15 cabs. This means better coverage and volume for me. Especially in large venues, I setup on the hi-hatt side of the drummer.

Those speakers are heavy, but they sound so good to my ear.

I gonna try one of these wtx heads, we the opportunity presents itself.

I seem to prefer light-weight heads, but I like heavy speakers - vice the light neo cabinets. Crazy!
Old 01-11-2010, 08:26 AM
Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bishop View Post
The difference of 300W and the additional 2.5 lbs in weight (over the WTX-500) doesn't impress me with "new Little Mark's". Why? Because there's not much discernable volume diffence in the additional wattage (maybe +1.5 db). You don't get coverage by adding wattage, you get coverage by adding speakers.
You do get headroom though, which is going to be meaningful. An amp you run close to its output threshold sounds different than an amp which can "relax" because it's got power to spare. And you can run more speakers, I imagine. Looks to me like the amp would front-end to a bigger rig, which is probably the point of it, really.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:21 AM
Junior Posting Member

David Newcomb is on a distinguished road
Default light rigs

Thought I'd update my input on this. I got back into gigging bands about 18 months ago and having back issues, after much trial and error, this is the rig i use;
For small rooms- Eden WTX260 260 watt @ 4 ohms (discontinued but now a Nemesis head) with an Avatar 2x10 Neo cab which handles 500 watts @ 4 ohms

Bigger rooms-Eden E300T 300 watt @ 4 or 8 ohms all tube monster head and same Avatar 2x10 Neo.

The WTX260 has plenty of beef for a small room with great tone and weighs 4.3 lbs and fits in the pocket of the gig bag!

The E300T weighs just 42 lbs probably due to toroidal transformers.
Avatar claims their Neo 2x10 also weighs 42 lbs but I think its closer to 48 according to my back LOL!
I do load ins in three relatively easy trips with the tube head and two relatively easy trips with the micro head.

If i can figure out how to keep my wife from killing me, I'm gonna upgrade to an Earcandy 2x10 Neo at some point with the Cabbiecab luggage system.
Why is it that women who know NOTHING of gear can instantly figure out you upgraded even if something mostly looks the same? LMAO!
Old 01-21-2010, 10:38 AM
Senior Posting Member

Default Nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Newcomb View Post
Thought I'd update my input on this. I got back into gigging bands about 18 months ago and having back issues, after much trial and error, this is the rig i use;
For small rooms- Eden WTX260 260 watt @ 4 ohms (discontinued but now a Nemesis head) with an Avatar 2x10 Neo cab which handles 500 watts @ 4 ohms

Bigger rooms-Eden E300T 300 watt @ 4 or 8 ohms all tube monster head and same Avatar 2x10 Neo.

The WTX260 has plenty of beef for a small room with great tone and weighs 4.3 lbs and fits in the pocket of the gig bag!

The E300T weighs just 42 lbs probably due to toroidal transformers.
Avatar claims their Neo 2x10 also weighs 42 lbs but I think its closer to 48 according to my back LOL!
Nice set-up!

Old 01-21-2010, 10:39 AM
Senior Posting Member

Talking Lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Newcomb View Post
....If i can figure out how to keep my wife from killing me, I'm gonna upgrade to an Earcandy 2x10 Neo at some point with the Cabbiecab luggage system.
Why is it that women who know NOTHING of gear can instantly figure out you upgraded even if something mostly looks the same? LMAO!
Too funny! Lol!

Old 01-23-2010, 04:37 PM
Posting Member

I haven't really been around, but got an update via email and thought I'd chime in.
I found an old Trace-Elliot AH250SMX head in some disrepair, fixed 'er up and it's sitting atop 2x Bag End S15 D cabs. In the band mix, which I learned about by standing out front while someone else played my rig on a jam-nite we host 2x a month, the sound is punchy, sweet, articulate with a pleasant 'bloom'. No mud, not an overbearing lashing of "that Trace-Elliot sound" after you get the EQ dialed in and decide if/when to use the Pre-Shape feature.
This rig is a relatively easy load in/out, and sounds great. Plenty of bottom and can get plenty loud. TE tend to under-rate their wattage numbers.
I landed this rig for a total of about $650, through bottom-feeding Craigslist and being picky.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:55 PM
Senior Posting Member

Wink Small, light, and loud?

Roger, you should try some of the newer lighter amps that are out there now-days. I'm sure you would be impressed with the right set-up. I'm talking amps in the 3.5 - 4.5 pound range and putting out 500W+.

Old 02-09-2010, 07:22 PM
Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bishop View Post
Roger, you should try some of the newer lighter amps that are out there now-days. I'm sure you would be impressed with the right set-up. I'm talking amps in the 3.5 - 4.5 pound range and putting out 500W+.
I'll bet I would, but I'm broke a lot! I just scored an old A.M.P. BH420 for $300, and that's all folks until next year (it's a back-up for the TE head). But I won't poo-poo the new mini-heads, I've heard a few and they sound very nice ideed.

Maybe after my new working band starts pulling in some bread I'll go venture out into the Small World! I'd love to carry half my rig in my bass' gig-bag.
Old 02-20-2010, 06:24 PM
Senior Posting Member

Default Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Vaughan View Post
....I'd love to carry half my rig in my bass' gig-bag.
Yes. And you'd be surprised at what you could have for under $500.00, I gaaaroooaaannnteee.

Old 11-05-2013, 03:44 PM
Posting Member

Danny Hernandez is on a distinguished road
Default Ampeg PF-500 & PF-210

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	7183
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	2859Just wanted to see if you guys think that this combo would be a good rig? I currently have a Fender Rumble 150.
Old 11-05-2013, 03:54 PM
Senior Posting Member

Question Possibly....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Hernandez View Post
Attachment 2859Just wanted to see if you guys think that this combo would be a good rig? I currently have a Fender Rumble 150.
Possibly. It really depends on how much coverage you think you will need, given your situation. What I can tell you is this: You don't want to lack in headroom, ever.