Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > New Forum Member Introductions

Old 02-11-2007, 02:25 AM
Posting Member

Michael Holden is on a distinguished road
Default Ok, I'll go first.

Greetings all! I live in Stuart, Florida; and attend Indian River Community College as a Music Major, (I'm looking to transfer to UF or FSU). I've played bass guitar for 6 years. I own a 1973 or 1974 (there is major debate on the actual date... but it's one of them) Fender Precision bass, a Frankenstein Highway1 fretless Jazz, and a Geddy Lee Jazz bass.
I discovered the upright bass about a year ago. I purchased a 1960-ish William Lewis and Son Orchestra Laminated bass, and have been playing it ever since (which means my Bass guitars, unfortunately, get no play time). I have played in my college jazz band, and local trios. I recently discovered Classical music and purchased a French bow from Upton bass, and have been taking lessons from Mr.Ben Joella.
Old 02-11-2007, 04:04 PM
Junior Posting Member

Tom Martin is on a distinguished road
Cool Hello and Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Holden View Post
Greetings all! I live in Stuart, Florida; and attend Indian River Community College as a Music Major, (I'm looking to transfer to UF or FSU). I've played bass guitar for 6 years. I own a 1973 or 1974 (there is major debate on the actual date... but it's one of them) Fender Precision bass, a Frankenstein Highway1 fretless Jazz, and a Geddy Lee Jazz bass.
I discovered the upright bass about a year ago. I purchased a 1960-ish William Lewis and Son Orchestra Laminated bass, and have been playing it ever since (which means my Bass guitars, unfortunately, get no play time). I have played in my college jazz band, and local trios. I recently discovered Classical music and purchased a French bow from Upton bass, and have been taking lessons from Mr.Ben Joella.
Hi Michael and welcome to the site. If you send me the serial number of
your Fender Precision , I can tell you within a month or so when it was
made by Fender and/or shipped from the factory. Ive been playing
electric bass since 1959 and also have a Precision. Other info about me
you can find on my profile. Regards, Tom
Old 02-11-2007, 06:09 PM
Posting Member

Wow I would appreciate this greatly!!! the serial is 505666 Thanks!
Old 02-12-2007, 09:17 AM
Junior Posting Member

Tom Martin is on a distinguished road
Talking

Quote:
Wow I would appreciate this greatly!!! the serial is 505666 Thanks!
Sent PM with info. If you need futhur info let me know.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:58 AM
Posting Member

Phil Maneri is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Martin View Post
\If you send me the serial number of
your Fender Precision , I can tell you within a month or so when it was
made by Fender and/or shipped from the factory.
Fender serial numbers from that time period are nowhere near that precise. All you can truly infer from a Fender Serial number is the approximate year the neck plate was made within 18 months or so. Assuming all original parts Neck date stamps, pickup markings, and pot numbers taken along with the serial number can get you a 3-6 month assumption about construction date. Shipping date is not inferable from any numbers on the bass.

Phil Maneri
Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
Fifth Avenue Fret Shop
Columbus, OH USA
Old 02-12-2007, 10:50 AM
Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Maneri View Post
Fender serial numbers from that time period are nowhere near that precise. All you can truly infer from a Fender Serial number is the approximate year the neck plate was made within 18 months or so. Assuming all original parts Neck date stamps, pickup markings, and pot numbers taken along with the serial number can get you a 3-6 month assumption about construction date. Shipping date is not inferable from any numbers on the bass.

yea that's where the controversy comes in to play. The neck stamp is like none anybody has ever seen. It's usually something like 10345-0442 and so on. Mine is 63-0244. I took it to a luthier and he said he THINKS it's a 1973. Just because the Tugbar is on the "G" string side. he said in '74 they switched it to the "E" string side. But he cannot decipher the neck stamp.
Old 02-12-2007, 11:35 AM
Posting Member

Quote:
yea that's where the controversy comes in to play. The neck stamp is like none anybody has ever seen. It's usually something like 10345-0442 and so on. Mine is 63-0244. I took it to a luthier and he said he THINKS it's a 1973. Just because the Tugbar is on the "G" string side. he said in '74 they switched it to the "E" string side. But he cannot decipher the neck stamp.
He's right. That serial plate could be on anything from '72-'74. The tug bar moved in '74. The red stamping on the end of the early 70's necks are at this point still undecipherable. What are the pot dates?

Phil Maneri
Fifth Avenue Fret Shop
Columbus, OH USA
Old 02-12-2007, 01:33 PM
Posting Member

the pots aren't original... the only things not original on the bass is the pickguard and pots. so I don't know the pot dates.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:22 PM
Senior Posting Member

David Powell is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Maneri View Post
This is interesting information Phil. I have a Fender P, numbered 406527. Like Michael Holden's P, the tugbar is on the G side. I bought this bass used from a pawn shop in Albany, Ga in spring of 1975. When I got curious as to the exact age of my bass, I enquired to the then Fender, Rogers, Rhodes (CBS musical instruments) company. That was in 1976. They sent me a nice letter on company stationery that I still have. Apparently if you asked them at that time, the records were pretty precise. Quoting the May 28, 1976 reply from Vince Basse, Service Manager: "Our records show that your bass was built August 2, 1973 and was originally sold to Bibb Music in Macon, Georgia. We have no idea who purchased the instrument from this store." I guess the records got fuzzier with time.

I also have a nice old '69 Gibson. The best they can tell me now is 1967-69, but back in 1977, Norlin identified it as a 1969. My guess is that the earlier you asked about the manufacture date, the better the information will be. Anyway Michael's came somewhat after mine, but probably not that long, assuming the numbers are sequential. Also there is no neck stamp of any kind on my bass that I can find.

Last edited by David Powell; 02-14-2007 at 04:30 PM. Reason: omission
Old 02-14-2007, 05:09 PM
Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Powell View Post
This is interesting information Phil. I have a Fender P, numbered 406527. Like Michael Holden's P, the tugbar is on the G side. I bought this bass used from a pawn shop in Albany, Ga in spring of 1975. When I got curious as to the exact age of my bass, I enquired to the then Fender, Rogers, Rhodes (CBS musical instruments) company. That was in 1976. They sent me a nice letter on company stationery that I still have. Apparently if you asked them at that time, the records were pretty precise. Quoting the May 28, 1976 reply from Vince Basse, Service Manager: "Our records show that your bass was built August 2, 1973 and was originally sold to Bibb Music in Macon, Georgia. We have no idea who purchased the instrument from this store." I guess the records got fuzzier with time.

I also have a nice old '69 Gibson. The best they can tell me now is 1967-69, but back in 1977, Norlin identified it as a 1969. My guess is that the earlier you asked about the manufacture date, the better the information will be. Anyway Michael's came somewhat after mine, but probably not that long, assuming the numbers are sequential. Also there is no neck stamp of any kind on my bass that I can find.
Several things there. Fender's shipping manifests are unavailable. I don't know what happened to them. No one I know of has that information. Its doesn't surprise me that the shipping manifests were still accessible within 3 years of manufacture in the 70's.

In interviews with Fender employees (I'll need to dig up the Asian fellow's name who wrote the strat book that told me this) they said the serial numbers were not sequential. They produced the stamped neck plates in big batches and dumped them in a barrel at the end of the assembly station. The worker bolting the neck on just grabbed one and stuck in on there. Didn't matter if it was a strat or pbass. When they got more they just dumped them on top of what was already in there. In addition Necks and Bodies and pickups were all made in batches. They just grabbed parts and put them together. Many months could have separated the building of each part so you can get some serial numbers, pot numbers, pickup markings, and neck dates a good distance apart.

Gibson is a whole nuther bag of worms. Their serialization was in a great deal of flux in the '60s so you have to use additional clues in dating those as well. Later in the '70's Gibson got that together and were much more accurate.

Martin Guitars kept great records and as such the date of manufacture is easiest to hone in on.

Phil Maneri
Fifth Avenue Fret Shop
Columbus, OH USA
Old 02-15-2007, 02:26 PM
Senior Posting Member

David Powell is on a distinguished road

I'm guessing with all the changes in ownership of the company from Fender to CBS and beyond to whatever the current status is, keeping old records was probably not the first priority. The same probably goes for Gibson and the Norlin period. I guess the date mentioned is when they finally put all the pieces together maybe? It sounds like the typical crank-em-out style factory process. So what about the neck stamp thing? I'm missing that on my old bass or I don't know where to look. All it has on the head stock are the name decals and some patent decals. I've had this one long enough to know that only a few parts are not original, mainly the POS bridge was replaced with a 25th anniversary type brass one, the knobs were changed to match, and the nut (when it broke) was replaced with a brass one. And I put strap-lock lugs on it a long time ago. And I have changed the strings but not recently!
Old 02-15-2007, 02:49 PM
Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Powell View Post
I'm guessing with all the changes in ownership of the company from Fender to CBS and beyond to whatever the current status is, keeping old records was probably not the first priority. The same probably goes for Gibson and the Norlin period. I guess the date mentioned is when they finally put all the pieces together maybe? It sounds like the typical crank-em-out style factory process. So what about the neck stamp thing? I'm missing that on my old bass or I don't know where to look. All it has on the head stock are the name decals and some patent decals. I've had this one long enough to know that only a few parts are not original, mainly the POS bridge was replaced with a 25th anniversary type brass one, the knobs were changed to match, and the nut (when it broke) was replaced with a brass one. And I put strap-lock lugs on it a long time ago. And I have changed the strings but not recently!
Neck stamps were gone by late '72. Serial numbers moved to peghead faces sometime in '76. The dead zone in between has lots of hotly debated dating issues.

Phil Maneri
Fifth Avenue Fret Shop
Columbus, OH USA