Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Bows (and Rosin etc)

Old 07-29-2007, 10:02 AM
Senior Posting Member

stan haskins is on a distinguished road
Default Inexpensive German bows

Here's a link to a review I just wrote about some inexpensive German bows I had a chance to try this summer, including a couple of the bows sold through Ken's shop:

http://gluedtothestring.blogspot.com...rman-bows.html

Thanks,
Stan
Old 07-29-2007, 04:32 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool About the length...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan haskins View Post
Here's a link to a review I just wrote about some inexpensive German bows I had a chance to try this summer, including a couple of the bows sold through Ken's shop:

http://gluedtothestring.blogspot.com...rman-bows.html

Thanks,
Stan
Quote:
-Ken Smith Basses: Ken's shop recently started selling well-priced Chinese made bows. I had a chance to try two different models at my luthier's shop: The Fendt and the Domenico. They're both quality bows, which happen to come with black hair (which is my personal favorite) and are on the longer side. They're both worth a try.

The Fendt model was very well-balanced and light feeling Pernambuco bow weighing in the low 140s. It played easily, but, much like the carbon fiber bow, it just didn't seem to want to draw a very loud sound. It was very even and controllable, though, and handled well off of the string. For some odd reason, I got the feeling that this stick wanted to be a French bow - I'm not really sure why, it was just the impression I got. It was certainly a good bow, and well-priced (listed on-line at $600 - this particular one was selling cheaper.)

The Domenico model is a lower grade "Fine quality brazilwood" bow. It was a little bit heavier (146 gr), but still relatively well-balanced and controllable. This stick pulled a louder sound for me, but still played fairly evenly. It does pull sort of a "raw" sound at first: it can take a little extra work to get the notes to start clearly on bow changes (I'm not sure if this has to do with the grade of the wood or not). However, I determined that this one was the best overall value for me, and it's the one I have at home right now. It lists at $200 on the website, but I payed $300 + tax for mine (either because I'm a sucker, or because this one is a little better than the others: you decide).

The Domenico bow was well under my budget, and I'm playing it happily now. It's a fine upgrade for me, as I was playing a flimsier Chinese brazilwood bow before, which still draws a decent sound, but doesn't recover well from off of the string. I guess I will continue to shop over the next couple of years, though . . . I would appreciate any suggestions other German bowists would care to send my way. If you know of any good, reasonably priced German bows that are worth a try, leave a comment! Posted by Stan
First off, thanks for the great Review. Since each Bow is individual, shops can price them accordingly. One time I personally took one of the Brazilwood model French Bows home. It was so good, I couldn't put it down myself!

On the length, they are actually on the shorter side as far as German Bow models go. My German models actually have the same Length as my French Bows which are average length, just about 1/2" longer than the shorter Sartory models.

Average Playing Length of Hair: 21 1/4" - 21 1/2" (all KSB German models)
Length of Stick from Tip (not including Screw): 26 3/4" (all KSB German models).
Old 07-29-2007, 10:47 PM
Senior Posting Member

stan haskins is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post

On the length, they are actually on the shorter side as far as German Bow models go. My German models actually have the same Length as my French Bows which are average length, just about 1/2" longer than the shorter Sartory models.

Average Playing Length of Hair: 21 1/4" - 21 1/2" (all KSB German models)
Length of Stick from Tip (not including Screw): 26 3/4" (all KSB German models).
Thanks for the info, Ken. The comment about being "longer" was just meant in comparison to the Arcos bow I tried a couple of paragraphs before. I didn't do any measuring.
Old 07-29-2007, 10:59 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool longer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan haskins View Post
Thanks for the info, Ken. The comment about being "longer" was just meant in comparison to the Arcos bow I tried a couple of paragraphs before. I didn't do any measuring.
When a Bow grabs the string well, it feels longer. Also, when a Bow plays even from tip to frog in sound and feel, it feels longer as well.

The reason I use playing length of hair and not just overall measurement is because the Tip, Frog, Stick and Screw is not that actual playing length. Only the hair that touches the string is. The rest of the measurements are up to the Bow maker.

Most Bows I have tried play shorter than they are because they are only consistent for 1/2 to 3/4 the Hair length. Only the better ones play even from tip to frog and may feel longer because the play longer.

At home now I am using my shortest Bow, the Bazin with my biggest Bass, my 5-string. It grabs the string well and is easy to handle.