Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Bows (and Rosin etc)

Old 12-18-2007, 10:07 AM
Senior Posting Member

Eric Swanson is on a distinguished road
Default Great bow restoration experience in Boston

Just a note to pass on that I had a life-giving restoration experience with a bowmaker in Boston.

My Morizot had been crudely handled by an unmentionable man who had messed up an attempt to repair a loose bone tip cover. Of course, my fault for taking the stick to a hack. The bow also needed a grip, plus some reattachment of the the frog's nickel strap and seating piece (? - the part that sits right on the stick).

My savior was Eric Lane, at Reuning and Son. What a great experience working with him has been! Here he is:

http://www.reuning.com/other/our_company/lane.html

Eric was a DB Performance Major and player before he got into bowmaking. He spent much time looking at my stick, weighing it, discussing curve, restoration, and grip options, weighting options, my needs, etc.

He also noticed a kink the pernambuco had developed and proposed to correct the stick's curve. He actually went a bit beyond that and added a bit more curve.

He did all the work most skillfully. He replaced the bone tip cover, reattached the frog's nickel, did a great rehair, installed a new grip, and recurved the stick.

I reported that I didn't like the additional stiffness that the new curvature created, so now he will take some of the new curve back out, no charge, no hassle, no attitude.

As a cabinetmaker, I really appreciate his manual skill. The bone carving at the tip is seamless and matches the original curvature perfectly. He regripped the bow and balanced the tip perfectly, so the balance point is unchanged.

The bow is light...it came to him ungripped at 124 grams. Now gripped it is at 130 grams. Still light, but it suits me well.

Bless Eric Lane and Reuning and Sons for giving him a place to practice his craft!

Bless Zach Martin in Providence for referring me to him!

http://www.zacharysmartin.com/

Heartening to work with someone so good. All the work took about three weeks for him to fit into his schedule. The finished budget was within his initial estimate.

Old 12-18-2007, 01:19 PM
Senior Posting Member

Anselm Hauke is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Swanson View Post
interesting cornerless bass on his website