Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Electric Basses > Woods, Electronics, & Components

Old 01-07-2010, 02:38 PM
Junior Posting Member

Dave Longenecker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
It can't be mailed.. Pay anything?? Ok, come and bring the bass. I promise I will send you home with the Groove. Maybe not the Bass or THIS Bass but, the Groove will be crossing the border with you..

True story.. A year ago or so I was called to sub on a Duo gig, Vibes and Bass at the Philly Art Museum, Sunday Brunch. The Vibes players asks the regular guy, who is this Sub from New York, I don't know him. My friend replies, "he sounds like Ray Brown". The Vibes guy replies, "this late in the week I'll settle for Ray White!"

I grew up playing along with Ray, Oscar and Ed on the record player. I would record the tunes with the Mic on my bass to see if I could sound and feel exactly like him on the playback. I met Ed Thigpen at a NAMM show at Chicago and almost scared him. I was the only guy at the Show (non drummer maybe) that knew who he was. If he knew all the hours I played along with him on Record he would almost think I was a stalker. Ray thought I was a bit 'off' as well when we first met but an older Jazz Guitarist let him know how much I followed his playing and admired him which was evident in my playing, I think! From then on it was all smiles when we met at future NAMM shows. He was and will always be my Idol of what Jazz bass IS!
I've got a friend here in Toronto who is 92 years old and used to play with Joe Jones and Jack Teagarden and lots of the greats back in the day. He looks like and has the same sense of humor as George Burns - people used to say that he sounds like Ray Brown and he would say "Are you kidding? Ray sounds like ME!"

So your friend says that you sound like Ray Brown! WAY TO GO, KEN!!! THAT'S a GREAT compliment! I hope to hear you play one day!

Cheeers!

Dave
Old 01-07-2010, 05:29 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Wink hear me play?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Longenecker View Post
I've got a friend here in Toronto who is 92 years old and used to play with Joe Jones and Jack Teagarden and lots of the greats back in the day. He looks like and has the same sense of humor as George Burns - people used to say that he sounds like Ray Brown and he would say "Are you kidding? Ray sounds like ME!"

So your friend says that you sound like Ray Brown! WAY TO GO, KEN!!! THAT'S a GREAT compliment! I hope to hear you play one day!

Cheeers!

Dave
As soon as you show up with the bass, I will play till you either fall asleep or beg me to stop..

Tags
p.a.p.a., papa, preamp