Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Double Bass Talk in General

Old 04-04-2007, 03:44 PM
Posting Member

Flint Buchanan is on a distinguished road

same price range as the $4700 wilfur?
Old 04-04-2007, 03:56 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint Buchanan View Post
same price range as the $4700 wilfur?
The Wilfer is a 'plain jane' with a serious crack repaired fairly at best from what I recall when I saw that Bass last on line. Mine is a bit more money but it's 10 years old without a single crack, has been played-in somewhat and has some nice figure and overall upgraded woods as compared to the Wilfer.

All in all, the Wilfer is less value for its price making mine a better buy even at a slightly higher price.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:34 PM
Posting Member

I've been TERRIBLY over quoted on the Shen line if your Shen bass is in the 5k ballpark.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:17 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Lightbulb Over Quoted?

Quote:
I've been TERRIBLY over quoted on the Shen line if your Shen bass is in the 5k ballpark.
Please tell me the models and prices we are talking about. My Shen 3/4 although the highest end Gamba I think they even made is not brand new but is still without any damage with the exception of minor cosmetics of a 10 year old Bass used on occasion. I think 9k-10k or so was it's list price in 1997 but I need to move it and can be very reasonable on the asking price which is currently 6k completely set-up, as-is. If it were new stock, slightly higher might be warranted but thus is not the case and I need to move the Bass out and make room for others as well as pay for some expensive restorations.
Old 04-05-2007, 04:30 PM
Posting Member

I was not aware of your asking price when I wrote my comment.

I have been looking to upgrade my christopher hybrid, and had thought I would go with a shen willow (which is still overpriced in my geographic area). I will have to re-evaluate my position and see where I wind up after Uncle Sam gets his quarterly bite next week.
Old 04-05-2007, 04:59 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool Shen Willow?

Quote:
I was not aware of your asking price when I wrote my comment.

I have been looking to upgrade my christopher hybrid, and had thought I would go with a shen willow (which is still overpriced in my geographic area). I will have to re-evaluate my position and see where I wind up after Uncle Sam gets his quarterly bite next week.
I think the Shen Willow 3/4 Gamba runs about $3500 or so from the shops I know of unless things have jumped recently. This depending on the set-up and who you get it from. What prices have you heard and for what level of set-up?
Old 04-05-2007, 07:26 PM
Posting Member

In your area that price sounds good. Around here they seem to be closer to 4500 or more for the 3/4.
Old 04-12-2007, 05:29 PM
Junior Posting Member

John Sprague is on a distinguished road

Quote:
details that the Shen Rogeri 800 is "european" made.. is that true?
Negative, all made in Suzhou, China, proudly.
Old 04-14-2007, 11:41 PM
Junior Posting Member

Jack Vogel is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
The best way to judge the quality of a Bass in my opinion is with a Bow playing orchestral works. This is the most demanding array of sounds demanded of a bass. Playing Pizz with an Amp is no way to judge quality. The better the Orchestral capabilities, the more valuable the Bass is. You can plug in just about any 'table top' with Spiros on it and sound acceptable for Jazz but acoustic Orchestra Bowing is where we separate the Men from the Boys Bass-wise, and player wise on occasion..lol
Absolutely, I was sold in a minute on my Hungarian bass listening to
my luthier play some Bach passages on it, not only sold me on the
instrument, but was also a life changing sorta event, it convinced me
I had to learn THAT art, the bow is itself an instrument and subtle
brush that can touch the soul like nothing else.

Jack
Old 04-27-2007, 06:00 PM
Junior Posting Member

Steve Loeb is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Also, the Wilfer has a repaired Crack.
For the record that particular Emanual Wilfer is mint, otherwise it would have been priced lower.

Hi Ken ...
Old 04-27-2007, 06:58 PM
Posting Member

Drake Chan is on a distinguished road

[quote=Greene;3750]
Quote:
Also, the Wilfer has a repaired Crack.

For the record that particular Emanual Wilfer is mint, otherwise it would have been priced lower.

Hi Ken ...

You've got to use your real name as your user name. It's Steve Loeb, I believe. Correct me if I'm mistaken.
Old 04-28-2007, 12:56 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool Wilfer..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Loeb View Post

Hi Ken ...
Hi Steve. Sorry, I must have been thinking of a different Bass. I saw a slight shadow on one of them that looked like a repaired bass bar crack. I guess it was a different Bass.

Being a 'welcomed' commercial user, you can put your website in your signature but either way, it should be in your profile. In the case of this Wilfer in question we could easily look at it for reference and clear things up visually as well. For the readers new in the DB game Steve has in the last few years expanded the business (by going online) which was started by his late father Jack Loeb known as Ideal Music a distributer of European made Violin Family instruments and accessories which for decades was right around the corner from Metropolitan Music owned and run by the Juzek Family which moved to Vermont about 30 years ago.

Drake, thanks for the help with the name thing. Even though more than half the new members make that mistake almost all of them comply at the first mention.

Commercial users on this Forum so far are mainly Luthiers that repair, sell and make Basses. Steve falls in a similar classification as John at CSC/Shen who by the way is one of my favorite people Basses aside. MPM/Mike Pecanic, another commercial user is in a class of his own famous for his beautiful handmade exotic Tail pieces. Although he is also a Luthier he concentrates on accessories to improve and maintain the DB. Maybe one of these days I will make a listing of all the Pros of the equipment we use over in Luthier section.

By the way in your Profile I see this; "Musical Background:Hart", etc..

It just so happens that I have a beautiful and rare individually handmade English Double Bass made by John Thomas Hart, London c.1830. What does the reference to "Hart" mean in your profile?

It's the better class of people this Forum seems to be attracting which the 'real name' thing actually helps weed out the 'lurkers' and in some cases the trouble makers. It's nice to know who you are talking to and from the looks of things we have quite a few members that call this place home away from home regardless of DB or BG. Also here I see more of the person coming out than just the subject of some part of the Bass realm which to me is more of a real life day by day live Opera if you will.

Sorry Steve to go off topic on your reply and entrance here at the Forum but I want to make sure you feel welcomed here even though I made a mistake mentioning one of your Basses on your stock list.