Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Double Bass Talk in General

Old 03-21-2011, 06:09 PM
Junior Posting Member

Chris Shaw is on a distinguished road

Just thought I'd add to the discussion on extensions. The mechanical ones seem to be gaining ground again here in the UK amongst both professionals and amateurs. I think this is due to the huge improvement in design of the Barnaby extensions. Unlike the old Fawcett ones, these have internal springs and are totally silent in operation. I used to have a Fawcett extension and they certainly do rattle. I then used a manual one for a while but it was no good for fast playing of low notes. Now I have a Barnaby extension and I really think that it is the best compromise (no way of getting low notes is ideal, is it!) The ones that Tom Martin has on his website are made by him but seem to be a direct copy of the Peter Barnaby ones.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:28 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Question oh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shaw View Post
Just thought I'd add to the discussion on extensions. The mechanical ones seem to be gaining ground again here in the UK amongst both professionals and amateurs. I think this is due to the huge improvement in design of the Barnaby extensions. Unlike the old Fawcett ones, these have internal springs and are totally silent in operation. I used to have a Fawcett extension and they certainly do rattle. I then used a manual one for a while but it was no good for fast playing of low notes. Now I have a Barnaby extension and I really think that it is the best compromise (no way of getting low notes is ideal, is it!) The ones that Tom Martin has on his website are made by him but seem to be a direct copy of the Peter Barnaby ones.
Does the Barnaby and Facwett originals look similar. I am mainly familiar with the Stenholm from way back. Also the Martin one come mounted on some not so great wood. A Luthier here says he has to make a full Ebony mounting board for the Martin Ext. I don't know how they are delivered over your way. Also, what is the time period for the original Barnaby's or are they still available?
Old 03-22-2011, 03:10 PM
Junior Posting Member

Chris Shaw is on a distinguished road

The Barnaby and Martin extensions look pretty much identical to me. In fact I thought that Tom might have been selling for Peter Barnaby but it would seem not. I'm not sure how either are supplied as mine came with the bass when I bought it. I've only ever seen them mounted on wood that I would agree isn't as nice as ebony, but I guess we must be less fussy over here! It doesn't really need ebony I wouldn't have thought as the wood doesn't get the wear that a manual extension does. I think Peter Barnaby is still making extensions. I sent mine back to him for a service a few months ago which he did really speedily. He doesn't seem to have a website but has does have e-mail.

Hope this is of some use - I really love my Barnaby extension as it's so much better made than the old Fawcett ones.

Note: Barnaby Email by PM only
Old 03-22-2011, 05:10 PM
Senior Posting Member

Anselm Hauke is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shaw View Post
It doesn't really need ebony I wouldn't have thought as the wood doesn't get the wear that a manual extension does.
ok, i am a 5string-player and have no right to write here, but:
i understand the argument from chris, +: it saves weight not to use ebony, right?
Old 06-09-2011, 01:02 PM
Junior Posting Member

Samuel Budnyk is on a distinguished road
Default News on my bass

I recieved it from Kolstein about a month ago -I was very excited to get it back with a "slide rail" extension in place of the mechanical one. However, immediately after getting the bass inside I tuned up and looked up to do so... And noticed a crack from the the top of the neck and up through the scroll. We immediately contacted Kolstein and we sent it back to him within a day or two. Based on the damage, we concluded that the bass had to have been dropped at a very unusual angle to send that much force through the bass (which was in a flight case!) yay for shipping
We also decided that the only fix would be a new neck. This neck, however, is going to be made of maple. Stopped by Kolstein's yesterday to see if he had any basses I would exchange my Maggini for and, while I found a few that I liked better tonally and in feel, they were above the bass considerably in price. I am also, as of now, planning on getting a Laborie endpin drilled.
Any advisements with regards to modifications such as tailpieces or carbon fiber vs wooden Laborie endpins?