Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Double Bass Talk in General

Old 02-17-2009, 12:32 PM
Posting Member

Brian Gencarelli is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down Reply to Calvin Marks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin Marks View Post
I don't know where this entire "your knuckle should hang over the bridge" business came from. When playing the bass there really are no "it has to be's". If your instrument is too high for you you're going to develop a ton of problem for your bow arm and back. Have any of you seen Tom Martin play?? He's about 5'5" and his bow arm is virtually straight in that it just hangs and plays beautifully into the string...There's no silly "knuckle over the bridge" business.
Calvin,

With all due respect, I am getting tired of your tone in the posts you are writing lately...

I don't know you, and you don't know me. I don't think the way I set up my students should be considered "silliness". I have former students playing in orchestras all over the world. They have attended major universities, conservatories, and been very successful. If you would actually take the time to try my "guide" for set up, you might actually find that it works.

I will maintain that the bow hand is the most important aspect of a player's position and that the left hand is secondary to the comfort and ability to reach the entire range of the area from the fingerboard to the bridge without "reaching". Hence, the "second knuckle silliness" that you call it will put the right arm of the player 99.9% of the time in the correct area. Especially in the "traditional" standing position.

If you want to speak about "non-traditional" approaches and how you have to accomodate your physical shortcomings, by all means, feel free to speak on that. It sounds like we are relatively the same build. I sit. I have tried the bent endpins, etc... but the stability I achieve on a stool can not be matched by any standing position period. That's physics and geometry.

Bottom line- If you want to compare resume's and who we have played for, studied with, etc... we can do that. That will not make me a better teacher, nor you a better poster. There is no "right" answer on how to play the bass. We do the best we can. I was giving my perspective to a poster about how I set up bass students. Plain and simple. You chose to use derogatory language for a legitimate approach. Professionalism is a very valuable skill in this business.

Brian
Old 02-17-2009, 01:53 PM
Senior Posting Member

Calvin Marks is on a distinguished road

Look, if you want to talk with me. Take it to PM, where I could discuss this with you civilly. Otherwise, I don't want to discuss this matter any further.

Regards,

Calvin

Last edited by Calvin Marks; 02-17-2009 at 02:10 PM.
Old 02-17-2009, 03:11 PM
Posting Member

Brian Gencarelli is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Look, if you want to talk with me. Take it to PM, where I could discuss this with you civilly. Otherwise, I don't want to discuss this matter any further.

Regards,

Calvin
Actually, I just wanted to state these points for the record as anyone can see our posts.

1) I would just like to acknowledge that there is no "one way" to teach the double bass. (Many of your points in your post are valid.)

2) To dismiss someone's methods as "silliness" is unprofessional and inappropriate.

That is all.
BG
Old 02-17-2009, 03:51 PM
Posting Member

Sam Sherry is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Look, I've studied with Karr, so I fully understand what he's trying to achieve with his technique and posture.
Swell. In that case you're surely entitled to your opinion (and I'll try to edit my above post accordingly).

Quote:
I've also had very detailed discussions with him and he's told me outright that he almost always bows incredibly close to the bridge . . . .
As noted above, a lifetime ago I was lucky enough to get to hang around with Gary for a while. Based on that experience, I'm certainly not calling you a liar but I remain doubtful that those were Gary's words or that was Gary's actual practice. But so be it -- I'm just an internet figment.

Quote:
I also went to your website, great looking bass by the way! It seems that you gently rock the instrument inwards...Not exactly what Gary preaches, nevertheless it seems to work for you, correct?
Cal, there's not much point in discussing my technique. Trust me, I work for it not vice versa!

What can I say? When I play pizz (like in those pics) I stand up straight, my bass sometimes leans but my bass balances itself. When I bow I stand up straight, my bass stands up straight and my bass balances itself. I don't pretend to be Gary Karr -- now that would be something wouldn't it!

I remain convinced that the reason I am able to play and remain healthy, even though I'm just a part-time dubber, is that I was brought up in the ergonomics of the Karr / Tolo school. Thank you yet again, gentlemen. To each their own. Play on.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:38 PM
Senior Posting Member

Richard Prowse is on a distinguished road

When I was (slightly ) younger (about 38 years ago) I studied the violin at university; not with Gary Karr because:
1) he plays the bass and
2) he's never taught at Victoria University, Down here (NZ).
Teachers always made me do things that made my left arm hurt, along with other bits of my body. My teacher at university also seemed to instill in me that serious looking old people were very good and that I sucked. A few years later I realised that pain was not good and, when I started playing bass, I resolved that I would always strive to keep my whole body relaxed. If your body's relaxed, you can reach all the notes and the bass is balanced - you've probably just about got it right. Oh, and I also later learned that music is about intuition and not necessarily about serious looking old people who always play the right notes but who have no soul.