Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > This Old Bass > German School of Basses

Old 06-24-2009, 09:40 PM
Posting Member

Greg Clinkingbeard is on a distinguished road
Default Is this German or Czech?

I just got this bass from KC Strings. The only label is a Hammond Ashley label marked SB138 with a date of 199?. I assume this is when it was opened up?
http://s114.photobucket.com/albums/n...atback%20bass/

Dimensions:
Upper: 20"
Center: 14.5"
Lower: 25"
Rib depth: 7.25" at break, 7.5" at lower
Back to top of heel: 44.25"
Mensure: 41.75"
D neck, although who knows what it was before?

I believe KC Strings did the scroll graft and I know they refinished it. I couldn't get as to whether or not they opened it up, although the soundpost patch and cleats appear to be new wood.
It is very open, clear and even. Not particularly loud, but great jazz tone. It sounds much better than any other flatback I've played. It also weight only 21lbs with bow and quiver.

As with many of these shop basses, it was sold to me as German, but I wonder. Most of the German basses have outer linings, causing me to come to the expert. What does Dr. Smith think? Where and when was this made?
Old 06-25-2009, 02:32 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool well..

Not for nothing but those are not the greatest pictures. I HATE when they are sideways shots. What do you expect us to do to look at a bass long-wise, lift my screen and turn it?.. lol

Anyway, it's a Germanic style bass so what does it really matter which side of the Czech border it was made in?

Why was it re-finished? Without the original varnish in tact, it's impossible to tell if the Scroll is original to the Bass or the back and ribs to the Top. These is no way there unless you measure the purfling and even at that it's not a sure thing.

When you ask Czech or German do you realize that there are at least 2 if not 3 or 4 styles of Czech Basses? Those that look German made near Germany, those inland that look more original and those nearer to Hungary or Vienna and resembling those styles. On the Germans from the last 100-150 years we have the commercial type in either round or flat back, viol or violin shape, the French style with purfling around the top and/or back which are the nicer ones, the totally hand made basses that look original if you could say that and the BIG Mittenwald basses (and some smaller 3/4s) in Gamba or lower rounded corners (Busetto). Plus a few things I left out but who can remember all this stuff.. lol

Your bass could be either Czech or German but Germanic in style regardless of the shop that made it. It is fairly commercial looking and without the linings or with them I don't think it really matters.

How do you like the bass? Just bought it?

I have a Bohemian Bass not far from that style but a design on the back button. because of the label and knowing the person who found it and brought it here, I know it's Bohemian and German. Short of that, it would be just as difficult to tell. Mine has deeper ribs, slightly similar body bout dimensions but shorter in the body and only a 41" String length.

Value wise its no difference on the origin for German or Czech for a bass like that. The re-finish hurts the most if you ask me. Touch-up and overvarnish is always better than brand spankin' new when it comes to an old bass. If this was unavoidable like it was painted black or re-finished before, then re-doing it correctly was the best way to go.

So, Germanic, 80-120 years old.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:35 AM
Posting Member

Greg Clinkingbeard is on a distinguished road

Thanks Ken.
First, I am only a hacker bass player. I can't be expected to be even a mediocre photographer too! lol

I see some similarities to your bass, but the button area is quite different.
The 3/4" diff in string length may well be due to the new neck being set higher, where the original may have been set deeper and Eb.?

I agree with you on the refinish but can't do much about that now. Maybe it had been refinished before, or too butt ugly to ever sell. I do know Anton believes that one of his big tone secrets is his ground and varnish. He told me that he's never seen a germanic flatback like this that sounds as good as this one and most of the reason is his finish. Who knows what to believe. I've played a dozen or so and this one just sings by comparison. Most of them sound choked or with a strong fundamental, but little else. This thing has a very clear, open tone that sings evenly from top to bottom.

I had been looking for something smaller than the big one I bought from them over a year ago and this fit the bill.

In the end, I don't think it matters much where it was made, as it is an unlabled shop bass. It was advertised as, 'German flatbackm 1880'. That guess is as good as any, it seems.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:03 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up length..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Clinkingbeard View Post
I see some similarities to your bass, but the button area is quite different.
The 3/4" diff in string length may well be due to the new neck being set higher, where the original may have been set deeper and Eb.?
On the length, your Body is longer as mine is only 43" so with the exact same neck and set, your bass would have a longer string length possibly if the FFs were set in a similar position.

Enjoy it.. sounds like you have a good bass to play.