Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Amps, etc. [DB]

Old 08-20-2011, 02:38 AM
Posting Member

Eduardo Barbosa is on a distinguished road
Default Revolution solo - HELP NEEDED

Anybody out there using the RS as their main pick up?

I have an Upton Hawkes, and the pick up was fitted by the Upton guys.

Anyway, the problem I am having is that the lower notes are sounding pretty heavy, and as I go up to the G string and keep moving up into thumb position there is a drastic loss of sound.

I feel that I've tried just about every position moving the pick up around, and also tried switching it face down.

I am also used to the Realist on my other basses, and the RS seems almost too "airy" sounding....

But thumb position is just dead!
Old 08-21-2011, 10:23 AM
Posting Member

Sam Sherry is on a distinguished road

Have you called the Uptons?
Old 08-21-2011, 10:54 AM
Posting Member

Adam Linz is on a distinguished road
Post Grounding

Sounds like a grounding issue. When I first ordered my pick up from Upton I had it installed and took it to a recording session right away. It sounded like Gary Peacock on a high end EQ fueled by crack. Hahaah. And when I put it ribs down on the ground it sounded fine. Big and full. Pull the bass up and I sound like a pair of near field monitors with a Broken tweeter. Call them up and get a replacement pronto. I think these pickups are great. Very natural but they seem very fragile. And it sucks cause if you used an underwood before like I did you have cut some room for the Revolution. Great pickups but very fragile. Good luck.
Old 08-21-2011, 10:49 PM
Posting Member

Eduardo Barbosa is on a distinguished road

I have not called them.
I recently purchased this bass used. It was sold back in 2006, but it seems like it just sat at this guy's basement for a long time.
I've been using the Realist for about 12 years or so... pretty much since it came out. And I am very used to that sound and how it responds.
I initially like the RS and I am hoping it works out for me.
I played a gig today an thought it sounded a lot better.
i think I found a better spot for it and I marked it with a pencil.
I am not sure this is the sweet spot yet, but it sounds much better.

Question:
Although I am getting better response, I am running it through a GK 150 combo, and I am currently setting the highs at about 9 o'clock, low mids, and high mids at about 10 o'clock.
That seems to calm down the high frequency, piezo like sound. And as I need to turn up the volume I find myself bringing those frequencies back even more. And as I go up into the high range of the bass it definitely sounds kind of trebley.

so the question is ; is that more of a characteristic of the type of pick as if I were comparing it with the Realist, or I haven't found the sweet spot yet, or maybe this one is just not working properly, or... something else...?

Thank you.