Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Strings [DB] > Hybrid DB Strings

Old 11-22-2010, 01:01 AM
Senior Posting Member

Bin Hire is on a distinguished road

Yes and...
"There are very few human beings who receive the truth, complete and staggering, by instant illumination. Most of them acquire it fragment by fragment, on a small scale, by successive developments, cellularly, like a laborious mosaic. "
Anaïs Nin

Old 11-22-2010, 01:04 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Question huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bin Hire View Post
Yes and...
"There are very few human beings who receive the truth, complete and staggering, by instant illumination. Most of them acquire it fragment by fragment, on a small scale, by successive developments, cellularly, like a laborious mosaic. "
Anaïs Nin
Are we still talking about Spiro Weichs here or some other Planetary kind of stuff?
Old 11-22-2010, 01:22 AM
Senior Posting Member

Apologies Ken.
It just seemed like the quest for a perfect hybrid string was a bit philosophical. There can never be one right answer.
Pardon me if I am wrong.
The Universe, in my humble opinion, is all about positive and negative, black and white. All opposites exist together.
You bow or you pizz. You find the middle ground.

Last edited by Bin Hire; 11-22-2010 at 01:26 AM. Reason: Sorry again, just adding a thought.
Old 11-22-2010, 01:54 AM
Junior Posting Member

Eddue Johnson is on a distinguished road

Yes, point understood.

But since we are discussing hybrid strings, I think it might be asking too much for a string to excel at both jazz and orchestra settings as long as it can perform well at either. And considering that Spiros (weich included) are designed to be an orchestra string which is accepted by many to be the go to string for jazz it seem to qualify as a good hybrid string.
Old 11-22-2010, 02:11 AM
Posting Member

Terry McDougal is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddue Johnson View Post
Yes, point understood.

But since we are discussing hybrid strings, I think it might be asking too much for a string to excel at both jazz and orchestra settings as long as it can perform well at either. And considering that Spiros (weich included) are designed to be an orchestra string which is accepted by many to be the go to string for jazz it seem to qualify as a good hybrid string.
My Man, it is a good hybrid string. It's just that, by definition, one application will probably be a bit stronger than the other.
I use Weichs for pizz and bowing, but no longer on my main bass. I accept that there is always a compromise and, as Ken would probably add, no two basses are really the same.
Well, since we're quoting, here's one from José Ortega y Gasset:
"There are people who so arrange their lives that they feed themselves only on side dishes."
Hey, use what works best for your purposes.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:58 AM
Junior Posting Member

Usually with the topic of hybrid strings comes the comparison to the top orchestra strings.

Did the weichs work well for you in an orchestra?
Old 11-23-2010, 08:44 PM
Senior Posting Member

Quote:
Usually with the topic of hybrid strings comes the comparison to the top orchestra strings.

Did the weichs work well for you in an orchestra?
Do you want to play in an orchestra on a fairly regular basis or do you want to play other music? I don't want to play in an orchestra, but I want to play arco as much as I can. I guess that if orchestral playing was my passion, I'd check out what the symphony players are using. I suggest that you go to a local symphony concert and find out what strings they are using. Really that's the proof of the pudding.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:35 PM
Junior Posting Member

I Also want to play arco as well as pizz but not in an orchestra. I am curious to how others are using spiros rather than just rely on my own experience.

Maybe a better question might be:

Is the purpose of a hybrid string to be able to play well in an orchestra and a jazz band, just play arco and pizz?

Since I am not an orchestra bassist, it's either arco or pizz for me. I can't speak for orchestra players.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:27 AM
Posting Member

Quote:
I Also want to play arco as well as pizz but not in an orchestra. I am curious to how others are using spiros rather than just rely on my own experience.

Maybe a better question might be:

Is the purpose of a hybrid string to be able to play well in an orchestra and a jazz band, just play arco and pizz?

Since I am not an orchestra bassist, it's either arco or pizz for me. I can't speak for orchestra players.
There are better bowing strings but, as a hybrid, Weichs bow well.

It's a braw bricht moonlit nicht the nicht, so play and enjoy.
Old 11-24-2010, 01:05 AM
Junior Posting Member

That's just what I'll do!

Thanks
Old 11-24-2010, 01:40 AM
Posting Member

Quote:
That's just what I'll do!

Thanks
Just be warned that they take a few weeks to settle down for bowing, especially the D.
Noo jist haud on!
Old 01-24-2011, 01:52 PM
Posting Member

Scott Pope is on a distinguished road

OK, now that TI has two sets of Spiro Weichs, the 4/4 S42 set and the 3/4 3885 set, which set is being being referred to in the above posts? Thanks.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:43 PM
Senior Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Pope View Post
OK, now that TI has two sets of Spiro Weichs, the 4/4 S42 set and the 3/4 3885 set, which set is being being referred to in the above posts? Thanks.
I don't remember the numbers, but wouldn't it be the 3/4 set?
Old 03-03-2011, 04:21 PM
Posting Member

Scott Pope is on a distinguished road

I just got a set of used Weichs for my CCB, the E & A from one source and the D & G from another. Total outlay: @$80 for a set in great condition. On closer inspection, I believe these are the S42 set, which will play just a tad lighter than the 3885 set on a 3/4 scale bass, according to TI's published tension specs.

No, I don't have substantial experience on DB, but oh, I like the way these feel and sound. I do have 35+ years "on the slab," and on tuba, so I'm used to laying down what needs to be laid down to support the ensemble.

Even though I tinker mechanically with many of my other instruments, and have worked on the setup on my CCB as much as a learning experience so I will know the ins and outs of how DB really works, I don't see myself getting into the string du jour race. But I didn't on tuba mouthpieces, either, and if you go on such forums as TubeNet, for tuba players it's mouthpieces as it is strings for DB players. I just contacted Matt Walters at Dillon Music, discussed my playing, and he recommended a mouthpiece. Vladimir adjusted the rim on the lathe to suit my embouchure, and I haven't looked back. I have a couple others for specific purposes, like outdoors or high tessitura, but one basic mouthpiece.

I only relay this seemingly non-related anecdote to emphasize the point that for a guy starting out, instead of spending way too much $$ on any aspect, whether strings, rosins, etc., time is usually better spent getting to know a professional, or rather the time for him to get to know you, so he/she can make a recommendation from experience that will save massive amounts of time and money in the long run.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:13 PM
Senior Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Pope View Post
I just got a set of used Weichs for my CCB, the E & A from one source and the D & G from another. Total outlay: @$80 for a set in great condition. On closer inspection, I believe these are the S42 set, which will play just a tad lighter than the 3885 set on a 3/4 scale bass, according to TI's published tension specs.

No, I don't have substantial experience on DB, but oh, I like the way these feel and sound. I do have 35+ years "on the slab," and on tuba, so I'm used to laying down what needs to be laid down to support the ensemble.

Even though I tinker mechanically with many of my other instruments, and have worked on the setup on my CCB as much as a learning experience so I will know the ins and outs of how DB really works, I don't see myself getting into the string du jour race. But I didn't on tuba mouthpieces, either, and if you go on such forums as TubeNet, for tuba players it's mouthpieces as it is strings for DB players. I just contacted Matt Walters at Dillon Music, discussed my playing, and he recommended a mouthpiece. Vladimir adjusted the rim on the lathe to suit my embouchure, and I haven't looked back. I have a couple others for specific purposes, like outdoors or high tessitura, but one basic mouthpiece.

I only relay this seemingly non-related anecdote to emphasize the point that for a guy starting out, instead of spending way too much $$ on any aspect, whether strings, rosins, etc., time is usually better spent getting to know a professional, or rather the time for him to get to know you, so he/she can make a recommendation from experience that will save massive amounts of time and money in the long run.
Scott, this is very good advice. I played trumpet when I was younger and you are spot on about mouthpieces. Yes, strings are the same. They won't give you a shortcut past the hours of practice.
Old 05-13-2011, 04:07 PM
Senior Posting Member

Richard Prowse is on a distinguished road

I've got Weichs back on my main bass and they're sounding great, both with the bow and pizz.