Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Strings [DB] > Hybrid DB Strings

Old 10-29-2010, 06:29 PM
Posting Member

Terry McDougal is on a distinguished road
Default Good old Weichs!

I've just put Spiro Weichs back on my bass. I've tried Dominants, Bel Cantos and Evas lately and they're all good. Last weekend, for reasons I won't bore you with, I finished up playing a set with a borrowed ply strung with Weichs. Bowing and pizz were required. I noticed that, high up on the G, these strings seemed to have a nice sort of clarity that came with a sort of 'bite'. I was also reminded of their nice pizz sound. A couple of days later I put a slightly used set on my bass. They still sound a little 'new', but I'm liking their honest tone. Okay, a little more care is needed to avoid scratches, but I can handle that. I think that when these strings really settle I'll be happy for a long time.
I'm also thinking of the money I've put into other strings over the last year, only to finish up back where I started.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:36 PM
Junior Posting Member

Eddue Johnson is on a distinguished road

I agree that Spirocore weichs are great hybrid string, as well as the entire Spirocore family of strings. I recently started using Spiro starks and feel like they are under rated as a hybrid string. My main bass has Dominants, which are also a good hybrid string but with a completely different sound and feel.

I think one reason weichs and most other Thomastik strings are overlooked as hybrids because to get the best out of them you need the proper setup, which will be different than the standard jazz or orchestra setup. In my area, most of the jazz bassists use Thomastiks and have their basses setup with the typical low bridge height and lower tension weichs, great for pizz but requiring a lot more effort to get a good arco tone. Somewhat the opposite for orchestra players but they rarely use Spirocores around here. And I have heard many guys say that it's too hard to play 3 or 4 jazz sets a night with a bridge set at the typical arco basist's height, even when using weichs or solos, not to mention mittles or starks!

But with the right setup, on the right bass, weichs can be great hybrids.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:04 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool well..

I say it depends on the Bass as much as the player. I have Weichs on one of my modern Italian Basses currently (G.Lombardi, 1976) and it bows kinda good. Too good to change the strings actually. I had Weich Spiros on my Bohemian bass as well (which I just sold) but that was not as deep a bass for bowing and it didn't sound quite as good but it worked. It was my Jazz instrument so I didn't care how well it bowed.

Years ago when there were ONLY Spiro Reds or Rope Core Blues (can you remember that far back?.. maybe there were solo Spiros, not sure when they came out), I used the Reds on my old Italian Bass for every thing I did. Sure, I tried some other strings and my Bass was also with me in hand the test bass/player for the Labella steels back in 1978 or so. Rotosound even made an Orchestra string that for me, was lighter tension but more of a Jaegar feel string than a Spiro. The Reds were in the middle for me so that was my go-to string that I used the most. If I had a bowing job, same bass same strings. Jazz gig, same same. So, with the Weichs out now, they make it easier to bow on lesser basses than the old classics whihc can sometimes work and sound as good with anything from pure rope to barbed wire.

One thing though I want to mention. If the strings are too flexible on your bass, when you pizz like in jazz and you start to dig in harder, you might find yourself chasing the beat as they respond slower when played hard. For that, Reds are better.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:59 PM
Junior Posting Member

That is one of the reason why I prefer higher tensioned strings. Weichs are a lot easier to play but on the faster uptempo tunes I sometimes hear myself behind the beat. It's really noticeable at times when the band is playing a song faster than it should be played.

I used to think, like many others, that Spiros were hard to bow because most bassits I knew played them pizz but not arco. Then I heard how well they sound when played properly. Then I knew the strings weren't the problem.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:17 PM
Senior Posting Member

Bin Hire is on a distinguished road

The first time I played Weichs I had only played old strings on school basses. I don't know what they were.
When I first put my bow on some strings with the purple and red ends, on someone else's bass, I thought,
"This is easy!"
Old 11-13-2010, 08:40 PM
Senior Posting Member

Thomas Erickson is on a distinguished road

I don't know why so many people say that spiros are bad for bowing; IMO they bow fine - just takes a little different approach is all...

Which isn't to say that spiros sound good on every bass though!
Old 11-14-2010, 03:29 AM
Junior Posting Member

There are many bassists, myself included, with very limited bowing skills. Sometimes it's just a matter of blaming the strings rather than admitting we haven't mastered the technique of playing arco, then move on to more forgiving strings.
Old 11-14-2010, 01:18 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Lightbulb why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Erickson View Post
I don't know why so many people say that spiros are bad for bowing; IMO they bow fine - just takes a little different approach is all...

Which isn't to say that spiros sound good on every bass though!
Unless you have a very dark smooth sounding bass, usually old Italian or German 200 years or more and play very well with the Bow classically, bowing 'Spiros reds' instead of standard Orchestra bowing strings, the 'barbed wire' sound will not blend in with the rest of the bass section.

I have seen a few Extension Es in the Reds and occasionally a mixed set with the E and A in Reds but rarely do I see any level headed Orchestra player using a full set of Spiro Reds in USA. There are just so many better choices for bowing strings. Usually a player starts with the smoothest string he can find for bowing and then starts gradually brightening up the sound testing other strings till he gets what he needs to match the desired sound of the section.

Show me a professional Orchestra with all the basses bowing on Reds. Please!
Old 11-14-2010, 03:34 PM
Senior Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
Unless you have a very dark smooth sounding bass, usually old Italian or German 200 years or more and play very well with the Bow classically, bowing 'Spiros reds' instead of standard Orchestra bowing strings, the 'barbed wire' sound will not blend in with the rest of the bass section.

I have seen a few Extension Es in the Reds and occasionally a mixed set with the E and A in Reds but rarely do I see any level headed Orchestra player using a full set of Spiro Reds in USA. There are just so many better choices for bowing strings. Usually a player starts with the smoothest string he can find for bowing and then starts gradually brightening up the sound testing other strings till he gets what he needs to match the desired sound of the section.

Ken, when you mention reds, are you talking about all the Spiros, or just the medium ones?
I humbly suggest that the bass is also bowed in other settings, not just in the orchestra.
Old 11-14-2010, 04:40 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Lightbulb reds=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bin Hire View Post
Ken, when you mention reds, are you talking about all the Spiros, or just the medium ones?
I humbly suggest that the bass is also bowed in other settings, not just in the orchestra.
Red's are the medium ones and back in my younger days, there was only one kind and maybe solos. Weichs were not out just yet and Stark Reds are more recent to me ears. Are there others that are Red at both ends?

Other settings? Sure, why not but the true test I thought was playing Orchestra music or Classical type solos.

Who wants to head scratchy bowing?

No one I know..
Old 11-14-2010, 04:57 PM
Senior Posting Member

Quote:
Red's are the medium ones and back in my younger days, there was only one kind and maybe solos. Weichs were not out just yet and Stark Reds are more recent to me ears. Are there others that are Red at both ends?
I got confused because this thread was talking about Weichs. A thousand apologies.
Quote:
Other settings? Sure, why not but the true test I thought was playing Orchestra music or Classical type solos.

Who wants to head scratchy bowing?

No one I know..
The Weichs don't scratch much and are quite bowable, but I agree that other strings are a better choice if one is going to bow.
Any bowing situation is a true test, in my humble opinion.
Old 11-14-2010, 05:18 PM
Senior Posting Member

Thomas Erickson is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I didn't say they were an ideal orchestra string, I only said that IMO they aren't that hard to bow.
Old 11-14-2010, 05:41 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Lightbulb well..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Erickson View Post
I didn't say they were an ideal orchestra string, I only said that IMO they aren't that hard to bow.
Hard to get a smooth bowing sound from unless you have the right bass and technique combined. So, hard to bow. I disagree, sorry.
Old 11-14-2010, 08:59 PM
Posting Member

But the Weichs are easy enough to bow. Which was where I started. I've just changed my strings around again lately. I settled on BCs because they are easier for quick bowing, but it was a close contest with the Weichs. As we say back home:
We're a' Jock Tamson's bairns!
Old 11-14-2010, 10:04 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool ok..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry McDougal View Post
But the Weichs are easy enough to bow. Which was where I started. I've just changed my strings around again lately. I settled on BCs because they are easier for quick bowing, but it was a close contest with the Weichs. As we say back home:
We're a' Jock Tamson's bairns!
Yes, the Weichs are easier to Bow than the full reds no doubt. The BCs/BelCantos are far better for bowing as are the Pirastro Orchestra strings as well. Personally, I use and like Belcantos but favor the Pirastro orchestra strings for tone. The new Passione strings are actually fun to play whereas the Belcanto's work as well, just not as much fun.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:02 AM
Posting Member

Quote:
Yes, the Weichs are easier to Bow than the full reds no doubt. The BCs/BelCantos are far better for bowing as are the Pirastro Orchestra strings as well. Personally, I use and like Belcantos but favor the Pirastro orchestra strings for tone. The new Passione strings are actually fun to play whereas the Belcanto's work as well, just not as much fun.
Are the Passione strings a bit stiffer? What are they like for pizz?
Old 11-15-2010, 12:38 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool Passione's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry McDougal View Post
Are the Passione strings a bit stiffer? What are they like for pizz?
I have only tried the regular gauge so far and they are so so soft under the fingers. They Bow so smooth and easy I just love them on all 4 basses I have used them on so far. As for Pizz, it's not a buzzy jazz type sound at all like the Spiros. Kind of like a mix of Belcantos and Flexocor 92s in a blender. More of a 92 type gauge/thickness and the tension similar or in between the Weich and regular Evahs. Not too loose unless you pound it with the bow and not tight at all. As a matter of fact, I raised my strings slightly on the two basses I have them on that I use most.

Not a Hybrid string if you want a plain jazz string. The sound is deep and shorter on the pizz with a true fundamental in tone.

For a bowing hybrid string, the Spiro weichs work well for some basses. Still, they might be a bot bright or thin sounding as compared to an orchestra bass with orchestra strings.

Guys n Gals, I want to point out that I am judging this from playing mainly older Orchestra grade basses. Some not as old but still, finer instruments in price and tone than any ply, hybrid or modern factory bass in general. If the bass you have is in that range then my findings might be different than yours. You must judge for yourself what works for your bass, your ears and your playing.
Old 11-19-2010, 04:20 PM
Junior Posting Member

Questions for the more experienced arco players:

I know spiros will stand out in an orchestra but what about for solo or maybe auditions, would spirocore weich be a good choice?

Second question:

Does the compromises that have to be made to be a good hybrid string prevent it from excelling at both arco and pizz? Or is it possible for a string to be excellant for both (not just adequate) jazz and orchestra?
Old 11-20-2010, 06:16 PM
Senior Posting Member

Number two is a tough question Euddie.
I must be honest and say that I have not found the answer.
I accept that we are all different. We all see beauty in different things.
Nothing stays the same. Could a perfect string actually exist?
Maybe it is our quest as musicians to take something that isn't perfect and to make it work on our terms?
Old 11-20-2010, 06:29 PM
Posting Member

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh. "
George Bernard Shaw

Bin, I see your point.