Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Strings [DB] > Hybrid DB Strings

Old 03-15-2007, 09:02 AM
Junior Posting Member

Stefano Senni is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Stefano Senni
Default Jargar Forte

Hi folks,

I just would like to explain to you all my big satisfaction from having installed Jargar forte (red silk) G and D on my bass. They match perfectly with Spiro orchestra (reds) E & A. Jargars bow like a dream, smooth and deep, and they also have a rich, sophisticated pizz tone, with a good sustain, but without the common disdvantages of Spiros D & G (twangy, thin and metallic). They're cheap too...I recommend them to you guys, jazzers and not.
I have not tried the E & A but I assume they're not so good for pizz so I might not go for them..
Old 03-18-2007, 02:34 AM
Posting Member

Drake Chan is on a distinguished road

Actually, in my search for a hybrid strings last year, I was looking at Jargar mediums. I decided to pass on them and went with Kolstein Varicores because I read that they were not very clear for pizzicato.

I was wondering whether you have tried Pirastor Flexocors. If you have, can you compare their pizzicato sound and sustain to the Jargars?
Old 03-19-2007, 05:07 AM
Junior Posting Member

Default Flexocor Vs Jargar Forte

I tried Pirastro Flexor G & D on my bass and they felt much stiffer than Jargar Forte. They bow good and pizz is ok but jargars have a more complete and sophisticated sound to me. I occasionally have played a full set of flexocor on other basses and find E&A quite not usable for pizz purposes, but depends also on the quality of the bass ...
I have no experience with Kolstein Varicores.
Old 03-19-2007, 05:54 AM
Posting Member

Drake Chan is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the response.

I may try the Jargars in the future, as you give them a very glowing review. I'd like to know how "complete and sophisticated" a tone those strings really have.

As for the Varicores, I don't think that many people have tried them at all, or that they indifferent to them. For whatever reason, Kolstein still manufactures and sells them, yet nobody ever talks about them.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:32 AM
Junior Posting Member

I find the Jargars WARM. They have the right amount of sustain I like, not too long, not too short. They remind me a lot of the gut sound, but without the big disadvantages of it. Of course the bass has a lot to do with it and the way of playing too. I find myself very comfortable and my bass responds greatly.
I am a bit surprised that the Jargars are not so popular...anyone else had any experience ? Ken ? I remember an old thread of yours on TB regarding jargars forte ...
Old 03-19-2007, 10:16 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Jaegar Forte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefano Senni View Post
I find the Jargars WARM. They have the right amount of sustain I like, not too long, not too short. They remind me a lot of the gut sound, but without the big disadvantages of it. Of course the bass has a lot to do with it and the way of playing too. I find myself very comfortable and my bass responds greatly.
I am a bit surprised that the Jargars are not so popular...anyone else had any experience ? Ken ? I remember an old thread of yours on TB regarding jargars forte ...
Yes, I have used these and liked them. The A and E did require some extra bow pressure but the sound was rewarding. Currently I have a set Split on two Basses. One with G/D Forte Jaegar and A/E Eudoxa and one with Oliv G/D and A/E Forte Jaegar. It seems that each Bass likes what it likes and will not listen to reason.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:10 PM
Junior Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
It seems that each Bass likes what it likes and will not listen to reason.
I totally agree