Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Strings [DB] > Hybrid DB Strings

Old 06-23-2011, 12:15 AM
Posting Member

Eduardo Barbosa is on a distinguished road
Default D'Addario Zyex

I have not seen any threads on Zyex yet, so here I come.
After all these years I decided that I like Obligatos, Pirazzis, and Spiros. So i just order a couple of sets of Obligatos and one set of EP's, because I got a deal on them.
I really hate trying out strings. And there are too many to try. So I am happy with my choices.
Then, guess what?
D'addario sends me a set of Zyex Medium gage to try out.
Well, I figured, in these next few days while I wait for the ones I ordered, why not try them anyway.
Go to my local shop to pick them up, and they have a very nice Chinese bass strung up with them.
They sound killer on that bass. Just the perfect combination. They sound great pizz. Just enough warmth, but bright enough to get a good growl. And then when I try to bow them, they sound great as well. very focused sound, lots of clarity, without that treble edge that I am used to hear from the Obligatos. In fact it seems like I am playing on a different set of strings.
needless to say I was very excited to get home and try them on my bass.
I put them on my Romanian, large 3/4, flatback, that was strung with EP's regulars. And I use that bass mainly for Orchestra, and an occasional Jazz gig here and there. In fact I even used on a jazz album that I recorded not long ago. Just a great sounding bass and loud too.
Well, It's hard to believe how bad these strings on that bass! They made my bass sound like a bad plywood!!!
I even thought I had maybe moved the soundpost, but it remains in the same place.
On this particular bass these strings sound very, very nasal. incredibly annoying. They are really loud with the bow, but very bright. Not particularly scratchy. Just bright.
So now, I am always the first one to say that you need to wait about at least a couple of months to judge what a string really sound like on your instrument. But I have never tried any string that sounded so bad at first.
I am sure hoping that in the next week or so something really happens to the sound as they settle in.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:32 PM
Posting Member

Shane Wilcox is on a distinguished road

I'd be interested to hear how they "develop" -- I thought about these strings to replace the Corellis that came on my bass (settled on EP weichs, and am waiting on delivery). I'm sure it's unjustified, but I can't get past thinking of D'Addario as cheap (as opposed to merely inexpensive). The Zyex strings get mixed reviews, although I've never seen one as mixed as yours!
Old 06-24-2011, 02:02 AM
Posting Member

D'addario... well, I kind of think that D'addario helicores tend to make most basses sound good. With all the different tensions, and choices, you end up finding a set that works with your bass. But I am just not into steel strings. except by Spiros Mittles, I don't like how they feel.
So I am pretty set between Obligatos and EP's.
I would have never bought the Zyex, and even though they were sent to me, I am debating if I should keep them or not.
On my bass, they end up sounding a lot like helicores Pizzicato without the scratchiness.
They actually bow very well. They are very loud under the bow but they are very bright, without the edge...
I am debating if I should wait until the next Orchestral season. My rehearsals begin in mid August. I'll try to wait that long to give a fair trial, although that might be very hard being that the EP's and even the Obligatos are just sitting here!
Old 07-06-2011, 01:24 AM
Posting Member

Default Quick Update!

These strings seem pretty loud even at a low action.
They feel stiffer than Obligatos compared at the same height on the same bass.
Initially they sounded a lot like Helicores Pizzicato. They have that same bright quality, which actually went away in just a few days. Although don't get me wrong, they are still very bright, but just without the edge now.
Overall, they feel good, they are easy to bow.
Just a very dependable hybrid string overall.
My only concern, is that I feel like they might have a sort of generic sound that takes over the actual instrument.
So instead of being able to hear specific qualities about the bass, the actual characteristics of the string sort of take over and become predominant. I hope that makes some sense...
There are certain things about the voice of my bass that I want to hear. And at first I felt that these strings completely changed the character of my instrument. Almost like some of the complexities of the sound disappeared and a more generic plain sound is what's left.
Anyway, rehearsals with the Orchestra don't start until mid September, but I'll keep them and will do the Jazz gigs for now and if things change I'll report back.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:45 PM
Posting Member

Default Zyex medium gauge

http://youtu.be/t6iF3gWKlG0

I made a quick video to show how these string are coming along.
I actually really dislike them, but being that they were free and I have 3 basses, I am still waiting to see if they develop into something OK.
As it was pointed out to me, and I can actually hear on the video they sound OK. But from my perspective playing the bass and hearing it from behind, I don't like them at all.
I don't like the feel either. They are too stiff.
I wouldn't go for light strings though because I have not played any light strings that feel right to me.
I like when strings feel heavy and meaty but with some flexibility. Like Obligatos, Ep's, Animas, etc.
Zyex just feel like a wire coat hanger!
Also, the E string sounds a lot darker than the rest of the set, and although I have never liked mixing strings, I am considering switching it for and Helicore Hybrid medium gauge, and maybe even heavy if the quality of the sound matches but not the feel.
Anyway, I feel kind of bad because it seems like a lot of people really like these strings.
I'll keep trying. At least I am very happy with my other two basses.
Old 08-19-2011, 04:49 PM
Senior Posting Member

Richard Prowse is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduardo Barbosa View Post
http://youtu.be/t6iF3gWKlG0

I made a quick video to show how these string are coming along.
I actually really dislike them, but being that they were free and I have 3 basses, I am still waiting to see if they develop into something OK.
As it was pointed out to me, and I can actually hear on the video they sound OK. But from my perspective playing the bass and hearing it from behind, I don't like them at all.
I don't like the feel either. They are too stiff.
I wouldn't go for light strings though because I have not played any light strings that feel right to me.
I like when strings feel heavy and meaty but with some flexibility. Like Obligatos, Ep's, Animas, etc.
Zyex just feel like a wire coat hanger!
Also, the E string sounds a lot darker than the rest of the set, and although I have never liked mixing strings, I am considering switching it for and Helicore Hybrid medium gauge, and maybe even heavy if the quality of the sound matches but not the feel.
Anyway, I feel kind of bad because it seems like a lot of people really like these strings.
I'll keep trying. At least I am very happy with my other two basses.
Eduardo,
thanks for posting the YouTube clips of you playing these strings. The pizz. sounds good to me. Were they hard to bow?
Old 08-20-2011, 02:23 AM
Posting Member

Hi Richard,
I didn't think they were hard to bow from the aspect that the bow grabs these strings very easily, but the sounds that comes out is very bright...

I think that with the bow they might cut through very well, but I doubt that they will blend well with the rest of the section.

From watching the video I also think that they sound good pizz, but it feels like I'm making a lot of effort to get that sound.
basically I don't feel like they measure up to Pirastro Obligatos or Evahs.

As a final thought, I believe that these strings would work well or average basses, factory made basses, etc.
But if you own a bass that has a certain character maybe you should try something better.
In fact my basses are not anything special, and I still think I am better off with other type of strings.