Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Strings [DB] > Hybrid DB Strings

Old 04-22-2007, 10:46 AM
Posting Member

Flint Buchanan is on a distinguished road
Default Pirastro-Evah Pirazzi

I've started this thread for anyone who gets a the first sets that come out.

I'm very interested in these, especially as compared to their cousins-Obligatos.
Old 09-01-2007, 02:12 PM
Posting Member

Marcus Johnson is on a distinguished road

I'm putting a set on today, I'll get back to you. I'm an ex- Obligator.
Old 09-02-2007, 01:45 PM
Posting Member

Okay, played the first gig last night, an unamplified duo. When compared to Obligatos, the Pirazzis feel much more substantial, slightly higher in tension. They feel quite a bit like Olivs to me. No roll at all. Nice strong fundamental when pizzed, and very even throughout their range. Just bigger overall sound than Oblis. The E may be slightly lacking at this point, but I need to give them a chance to get used to the bass and vice versa. Maybe play with the string height a bit.

I can't address the orchestral arco issue, but my early impressions of the jazz arco capabilities are very positive. Lovely, complex tone, and they respond very quickly on my bass. I actually found myself looking forward to bowing improvised solos, and going for ideas that I might have balked at on other strings. I'm looking forward to exploiting this aspect of these strings.

I think they're a winner. They aren't Olivs, but they're pretty close for a fraction of the price. We'll see how it pans out, I have lots of gigging and recording coming up.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:35 PM
Junior Posting Member

Charles Federle is on a distinguished road

Pirastro sent me a set to test yesterday, put a set on last night. For my bass they are nice and dark, and a decent response once they got enough rosin on them. Also a very loud string with good punch, I do also like how well they reflect accents (both left and right hand). Compared to the Bel Cantos and Orig Flexs they are much thicker. Going to try them out in the real world here soon and hopefully they will be a string I am very happy with.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:36 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Question Type?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Federle View Post
Pirastro sent me a set to test yesterday, put a set on last night. For my bass they are nice and dark, and a decent response once they got enough rosin on them. Also a very loud string with good punch, I do also like how well they reflect accents (both left and right hand). Compared to the Bel Cantos and Orig Flexs they are much thicker. Going to try them out in the real world here soon and hopefully they will be a string I am very happy with.
This is a Bowing String mainly?
Old 09-05-2007, 10:50 PM
Junior Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
This is a Bowing String mainly?
For me they are, though it seems to be fairly popular with those using gut as well (for pizz). I keep meaning to try them out and see how they are pizzwise, but I keep getting distracted. Granted I am most likely not the best person to judge a string's pizz qualities.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:11 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Lightbulb A message from the Top..

I emailed Pirastro about these Strings as I have in the past tested and judged many of their sets over the last few years. This is the description attachment he emailed me back. I will also post results after testing the orchestra qualities with the Ext E/C string which is on the way to me.

From Pirastro:
Evah Pirazzi Double Bass;

The tremendous success of our Obligato strings for double bass has encouraged us to further develop double bass strings with a synthetic core.
The result is our new double bass string set Evah Pirazzi „BASS“. This set is a hybrid set, suitable for both Arco and Pizzicato playing. Evah Pirazzi strings offer outstanding tuning stability, a very short playing-in-time and an astonishing resistance to rolling. Similar to the Obligato bass strings, Evah Pirazzi ’BASS’ Strings are resistant to changes in humidity and temperature. All strings are wound with chrome steel and smoothly polished.
The big, powerful, warm and round sound of the strings is combined with an accentuated low frequency spectrum and an exceptional resonance with a good sustain. The response is quick allowing for easy left and right hand articulation. Due to the phenomenal projection of the Evah Pirazzi bass strings the beautiful richness of the range of colors and nuances can be heard even in big concert halls. The development of these bass strings was aimed at producing a sound that is as close to gut strings as possible.
Evah Pirazzi ’BASS’ is an ideal string for musicians playing both Arco and Pizzicato. First and foremost the bow response is excellent and when playing pizzicato the long sustain fully and freely evolves.
Pirastro’s color code:
Evah Pirazzi “Bass” colour code at the tailpiece end: black spiral on light green
Tone colour at the peg end: G – brown; D – red; A – black; E – green; H5 – yellow; E 2.10m - green

There it is straight from Germany. Each player and each Bass must be tested for the optimum string match. I use more than one String type for various Basses or musical needs. If you play one Bass and one style you may be able to use only one String type but everyone gets the 'itch' from time to time to taste 'other fruits'!
Old 09-07-2007, 12:37 PM
Posting Member

Greg Clinkingbeard is on a distinguished road

http://www.pirastro.com/homeset.html

scroll down for DB

I've settled on Mittels on the bottom and Obligatos on top. These do look interesting though.
Old 09-07-2007, 01:26 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Thumbs up yes..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Clinkingbeard View Post
http://www.pirastro.com/homeset.html

scroll down for DB

I've settled on Mittels on the bottom and Obligatos on top. These do look interesting though.

Yes, I know it's from the website but it came to me from the guy that is in charge there so it's the final word.

He also added this comment in his email; These strings are perfectly balanced for both styles - pizz and arco. Dark and powerful sound in a way like modern gut strings but with more punch.
Old 09-07-2007, 03:53 PM
Posting Member

Greg Clinkingbeard is on a distinguished road

I wanted to give the not so final, errrrrrrrr final, not so final word.
They have a nice picture on their site.
Old 09-07-2007, 04:53 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool Final?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Clinkingbeard View Post
I wanted to give the not so final, errrrrrrrr final, not so final word.
They have a nice picture on their site.
I don't think any single string is the final solution for all. It's just great that we have so many choices to choose from these days. We had much less choice 30 years ago and before.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:04 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Arrow Strings in, strings on..

I just got my Extension set today and put them on. They are still stretching so I will play them throughout the day as time allows and re-tune as needed.

I wasn't sure which Bass to try them on so I called Arnold to get his input. He suggested I try them on my Gilkes so I did. Listed below is the first reaction playing them only a few minutes. I will update the list as they break in and have more to say about them.

First off, I replaced a regular set of Flexocor Strings with the EPs and they are only about .010" at most thicker than the Flexs so not much of a change on the string slots. The Gilkes had Stark Flexs after its restoration and a few months later put the regular gauge on the the slots started out larger to begin with.

The EPs feel very soft on the left hand and believe it or not, slightly smoother sounding on the Bow on the 'G' string to me. Maybe it's more of how the Bow and string grab each other rather than smoothness but in either case, I like the feel. The E/C sounds bigger and more open than it did with the Flexs as well. The 'A' string is also wider sounding. The 'A' and 'D' though did sound deeper before but tighter. The sound is more open now for the time being.

Second, the Pizz is very jazzy as compared to the thumpier sounding Flexs or at least on this Bass. The Gilkes has a fairly 'dry' sound as compared to others I have or have played so any help getting it more 'olive oil' sounding is a plus in my book. The Gilkes sounds even more open than it did an hour ago and a more penetrating sound filling the room as well. The Flexs might have been a bit darker sounding but with less overall sound behind it.

Bottom line so far after a few minutes? I like these strings. They feel soft under my fingers, and grab the Bow well with a slight edge on the definition of each note. The Gilkes is now more suitable for jazz work as well.

More to come as I play them .....
Old 09-11-2007, 12:23 PM
Posting Member

Good review. I really love the front of the notes with these strings, both arco and pizz. They were actually a little stiffer than I expected.... maybe because in my mind I was still holding onto the feel of the Obligatos that I'd used in the past. They're not like that at all. They really feel just about right on my bass; soft feel, yet with enough feedback to allow me to dig in.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:06 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Thumbs up Stiffer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Johnson View Post
Good review. I really love the front of the notes with these strings, both arco and pizz. They were actually a little stiffer than I expected.... maybe because in my mind I was still holding onto the feel of the Obligatos that I'd used in the past. They're not like that at all. They really feel just about right on my bass; soft feel, yet with enough feedback to allow me to dig in.
Coming from Flexocors, I see them as looser to me. Definitely way looser as compared to the diameter difference as these EPs are meaty in size but feel so so soft to the touch. A real winner in my book. I was starting to like the Bel's on a few basses I tried them on but the 'E' was always too soft sounding and the strings themselves had no center to the sound. These new EPs have plenty or lows, sweetness of tone and guts as well. "What took so long?" is the question.

Today they are holding pitch much better and my Gilkes has never sounded better. I was using my Martini for Orchestra for its added depth and power until I made the string change yesterday on my Gilkes. Today I AB'd them again asking one of my people here to go in the next room by my Bench and listen thru the wall. Usually the Martini shakes the floor and the Gilkes has more mid type presence. This time, the Gilkes shook my work bench thur the wall, the Martini didn't!

They say the proof is in the pudding and I'm getting fat on it..lol (or is that 'phat'?)
Old 09-11-2007, 04:21 PM
Junior Posting Member

My only real problem with the EPs sometimes is that they have a narrow band in which you can control them and get a good sound. I kept thinking with these big strings I needed to hit them harder, and that is just not good (lots of attach sound no tone), but on the same time if I am to light on them they just won't speak well either. General long tones though these have been the best orchestral strings for my bright bass. Hopefully with a little more time and experience these will work a little better under my bow.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:31 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool hummm..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Federle View Post
My only real problem with the EPs sometimes is that they have a narrow band in which you can control them and get a good sound. I kept thinking with these big strings I needed to hit them harder, and that is just not good (lots of attach sound no tone), but on the same time if I am to light on them they just won't speak well either. General long tones though these have been the best orchestral strings for my bright bass. Hopefully with a little more time and experience these will work a little better under my bow.
Well, like I have said in the past, some Basses like some strings and some don't. I don't know your Bass so I can't comment or make suggestions at this point. In my case, I put them on a Bass that seems to be very 'string sensitive'. Sometimes I put a set on different than what I've used and the Bass improves and sometimes I put a new set on and wish I never bought the bass. It's that different with my Gilkes. Also, other players like different strings than me on the same Basses tested so what does that mean?

How do you like your steak cooked? Ah, I don't eat red meat. Ok, how do you want your chicken cooked? Ahh, I don't eat animal products..

You can please some of the people some of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time.

Tomorrow I take the Gilkes to a rehearsal and will see just how well these new strings work. We are playing various things so I will be using the entire range of the Bass including most of the notes on the C-Ext.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:03 PM
Senior Posting Member

Arnold Schnitzer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Johnson View Post
They were actually a little stiffer than I expected.... soft feel
Huh? Which is it, Island man?
Old 09-12-2007, 12:14 PM
Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold Schnitzer View Post
Huh? Which is it, Island man?
Yes.

I guess that didn't come out right. Hard to describe. They aren't flabby feeling like obligatos can be, but they do feel ... what's the word?.... compliant, maybe? I dunno.

They seem to respond well to a relatively light pizz attack. I get a nice sound out of them with a relaxed, one-finger pizz. Not much effort, lots of sound. There's a really nice definition to the front of the note, and then a nice bloom afterwards. Your bass seems to like them, BTW... but then, that bass has sounded great with every string I've ever put on it. These strings have maybe the best balance across the whole range that I've tried so far.

Last edited by Marcus Johnson; 09-12-2007 at 12:48 PM.
Old 09-13-2007, 02:15 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Thumbs up First rehearsal report..

Ok, I used the Gilkes and new EPs last night. I like them! They bow smooth, sound deep, sounds loud, warm plush pizz sound and very easy to play.

It's my new favorite string.
Old 09-14-2007, 12:10 PM
Posting Member

I think I can safely say that it's my new favorite as well at this point.