Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Strings [DB] > Hybrid DB Strings

Old 09-15-2007, 01:34 PM
Posting Member

Marcus Johnson is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold Schnitzer View Post
Huh? Which is it, Island man?
I was thinking about this some more as I was playing these strings on the bandstand (god forbid I should actually be thinking about the music ).... on my bass, they feel quite soft and comfortable under my left hand, while under my right, they feel a bit stiffer and very precise. I don't remember having that impression from any other string, and it's pretty subtle. It works out well for me, because I can dig in with the right hand as much as I want, while left is pretty much free to explore without a whole lot of tension.

Still hard to explain, obviously. The arco tone is glorious.
Old 09-16-2007, 10:01 AM
Senior Posting Member

Arnold Schnitzer is on a distinguished road

I received a set the other day and put them on a mint 1960s Juzek. My impressions so far are mixed. The feel is a bit stiff to me and the pizz tone is on the dry side. Arco response is so-so. I like the arco tone. I'm kind of scratching my head so far, not sure if I like them or not. They seem to me like darker-sounding Dominants, but not quite that stiff.
Old 09-16-2007, 10:57 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool mixed feelings?

Quote:
I received a set the other day and put them on a mint 1960s Juzek. My impressions so far are mixed. The feel is a bit stiff to me and the pizz tone is on the dry side. Arco response is so-so. I like the arco tone. I'm kind of scratching my head so far, not sure if I like them or not. They seem to me like darker-sounding Dominants, but not quite that stiff.
Arnold, trying a new set on a factory made Bass may not be the best way to test them. I think if you pick a high quality handmade Bass that you know, judging the results will tell you more about about the string that you can tell from a German Shop Bass. True, there are 1000's of these Basses in the world but I think only a smaller percentage of them used for bowing.

AT least we know it may not be the best string for that type of Bass. I put them on my Gilkes which is a Bass you did a long and fine restoration on. I must say the Bass has never sounded or played better and I have used several types of strings in the search both before and after the restoration.

The Pizz on the Gilkes for either Jazz or Bowing is about the best it has ever been. The Gilkes sounds noticeably louder than I have ever heard it. It has always bowed smooth so there was little room for improvement there. They do however remind me a bit of Oliv's which I have used on the Martini and some combo with G & D Oliv's on 2 other Basses. I think for me they Bow at least as good as any other great string. As a matter of fact, when bowing the G on the Gilkes if I move the Bow a bit sloppy, the string doesn't catch as well. With these new EPs, they catch even on bad strokes.

Each type of set out there has their own feel and design. The Basses themselves seem to decide which string it wants. When the 'sweet spot' is found string-wise, you will know it.
Old 09-16-2007, 11:20 AM
Senior Posting Member

My understanding is that these strings are to be considered "hybrids". So I put them on a bass that is going to be used for both arco and pizz. This bass was recently upgraded by me with some regraduation, a new bass bar and a new neck. It's a good instrument. I'm going to let the strings break in for a while, and let some other people play it. I'll post my findings here. What I wrote above was simply my first impression.
Old 09-16-2007, 11:45 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool Bass tested..

Quote:
My understanding is that these strings are to be considered "hybrids". So I put them on a bass that is going to be used for both arco and pizz. This bass was recently upgraded by me with some regraduation, a new bass bar and a new neck. It's a good instrument. I'm going to let the strings break in for a while, and let some other people play it. I'll post my findings here. What I wrote above was simply my first impression.
Thank's for pointing that out. I know you did some work but didn't know just how much. Again, for myself mainly, I can only tell how a String actually is in comparison by testing them on a Bass that I know. Of course just putting them an a Bass you can tell if they work well on that Bass or not but not really know how the fair with other strings on the same Bass. Sometimes I have switched strings 6 times over only to discover that the first set I had on was the best for that Bass to begin with within the same condition and set-up.

One other thing I want to point out is the usage intended for 'that' Bass. Only a few Basses I have owned works well for both Jazz or Classical with the same exact set of strings and set-up. My Gilkes and Cornerless Bass seem to do anything with a good set of strings on it. The Martini however is so dark on the bottom that for Jazz only I would want a brighter type jazz string.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:39 PM
Senior Posting Member

Two other people played the Pirazzi's today. Consensus was that this set is a winner. They liked the pizz feel and tone, felt they could dig in and the bass responded with a lot of volume. I feel they are a little stiff for me but I'm liking them more as they break in. Arco is pretty good so far, not amazing. So far the best of the hybrid strings I think.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:30 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Thumbs up best hybrid...

Quote:
Two other people played the Pirazzi's today. Consensus was that this set is a winner. They liked the pizz feel and tone, felt they could dig in and the bass responded with a lot of volume. I feel they are a little stiff for me but I'm liking them more as they break in. Arco is pretty good so far, not amazing. So far the best of the hybrid strings I think.
Yes Arnold, the best Hybrid in my book as well. I think reg. Flexocors Bow better especially on the Lower strings and Oliv G & D on the uppers are about the best but for overall playing for Pizz, Jazz, Classical etc, they do it all very well.

If you need a single Bass to be flexible for both Bowing and Pizz, this is a string to check out.

The G-string has such a great Pizz sound that I have not heard since using Olivs and the A-string.. woah.. what a cannon..
Old 10-02-2007, 09:12 AM
Senior Posting Member

I just want to add a little something I learned about these strings yesterday. The open strings vibrate with a huge excursion when played aggressively (pizz). I can make the open E and A hit the adjacent string if I fire them hard. I dressed the fingerboard on this particular bass with a good amount of camber, but the potential for rattle is still there. I see this as the opposite side of the coin from their ability to play loud and punchy.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:40 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Question hard hitters?

Quote:
I just want to add a little something I learned about these strings yesterday. The open strings vibrate with a huge excursion when played aggressively (pizz). I can make the open E and A hit the adjacent string if I fire them hard. I dressed the fingerboard on this particular bass with a good amount of camber, but the potential for rattle is still there. I see this as the opposite side of the coin from their ability to play loud and punchy.
Maybe a Gut-type set-up FB-wise for EP hard hitters, aye?
Old 10-02-2007, 03:29 PM
Senior Posting Member

Mark Mazurek is on a distinguished road

My bass likes these string a LOT.
It really does make me want to keep playing.

I had a problem on the E string when playing low F# through A (on both Spiro Weichs, Mittels, and Obligatos). It was like those notes had a wet towel over them. I think maybe the slightly higher tension has helped with this.

I can't get the E or A to rattle (without pulling it like I'm shooting an arrow). My string length is right at 42", if that helps. And I'm at 7-8 mm off the fingerboard (at the end) with the E string (6 mm on the G).

I can make the G string rattle with strong bowing, but I'm sure that's a technique issue. It would happen on any of the three sets of strings when bowing it like it was the E or A string. (I assume that the G would always require a slightly lighter touch)
Old 10-04-2007, 12:27 AM
Posting Member

Brian Glassman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Johnson View Post
.... on my bass, they feel quite soft and comfortable under my left hand, while under my right, they feel a bit stiffer and very precise. I don't remember having that impression from any other string, and it's pretty subtle. It works out well for me, because I can dig in with the right hand as much as I want, while left is pretty much free to explore without a whole lot of tension.

Still hard to explain, obviously. The arco tone is glorious.
+1

Just got my early 20th cent. German bass back up to NJ from Miami. I decided to put my new set of EP's on that rather than the Prescott.
The German is brighter and is more in need of a louder, darker string. The already dark and lush Prescott does fine w/ Spriro Mittels w/ a Superflex G. The brighter strings counterbalance its darker sound. The rusult is robust, but clear, to-die-for pizz sound. But I do long for easier bowing lower strings.

Just put the EP's on the German taking off newish Flatchromsteels that I was experimenting with.

First impressions: Piz; Deffinately thicker, darker, 'ropier' w/ more 'thunk' and less metallic 'splank' to the start of the notes. Nice warm G sound. Less pingy than Spiros or FC's. Nicely balanced set. Definately makes this bass louder. I can see what you guys mean about the E needing to break in. There's some growl down there, but not like Spiros.
Maybe a little more work than the FC's, but I'm enjoying the volume. Could be just what the Dr. ordered for this bass.
These are my first sythetic core string of any kind and they do seem to be stretching out over this first day and getting growlier and louder when I bring them back up to pitch.

Arco; seems pretty outstanding. All the strings including the lower ones get started pretty easily. More robust and pleasantly darker than FC's. Can't help wondering what they would feel like under the bow on the Prescott.
More later.

BG __________________
-Straight ahead and strive for tone
Old 01-23-2008, 03:19 AM
Junior Posting Member

Dan Tice is on a distinguished road
Default EP Update?

Hey Brian,

Just wondering if you're still using the EP's. If so, how is the arco holding up now that they have some time put into them?

Thanks!

Dan
Old 01-23-2008, 02:29 PM
Posting Member

Eric Hochberg is on a distinguished road
Default My 2 Cents

I've been using them for a couple of months now, but split between two basses. The E and A on my '55 Juzek are wonderful, especially under the bow. The fullest, loudest sound I have heard on this bass and I've been playing it for 30 years. I think I prefer Spiro Mittels for jazz pizz for a little more sizzle, but these work well. I have Obligato D and G on this bass and the combination is fine together. It seems that the Obli D and G are louder now, too.

On my other, older, German bass with a darker sound, I have the EP G in combo with Weichs and am very happy. More meat under my finger, less twang and darker sounding with the bow on the G string. This bass seems to like less tension, hence the Weichs.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:38 AM
Posting Member

Steve Alcott is on a distinguished road

NS LaScala, EPs, very satisfied both pizz and arco.
Old 01-24-2009, 03:31 PM
Senior Posting Member

Richard Prowse is on a distinguished road

I put a set of EPs on just under a week ago and they keep stretching (going flat). Is this normal? How long do they take to settle?
Old 01-26-2009, 11:33 PM
Senior Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Prowse View Post
I put a set of EPs on just under a week ago and they keep stretching (going flat). Is this normal? How long do they take to settle?
They're settling - good pizz sound. I just put my Belcanto set back on.
Old 01-27-2009, 01:29 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Question ok.. now..

Quote:
Please tell us how the EVs compare to the Bel's.

They are both each company's new 'wonder' string. What say you?

I have used them both but not on the same bass.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:17 AM
Senior Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
Please tell us how the EVs compare to the Bel's.

They are both each company's new 'wonder' string. What say you?

I have used them both but not on the same bass.
Ken, my friend, the EVs were thick with a gut-ish sound. The pizz sound was big and strong, and I really liked it. They were 'harder' to bow and, with my German bow, it was tougher to get the E string to sound. They spent the week stretching. If they were the only strings on a desert island and I was shipwrecked, I'd be very happy to play them. My bass is new (about 6 years old) and I doubt if it has been bowed much. The EVs seemed to accenturate the strengths (and weaknesses) of different registers. The BCs are similar to Weichs, IMO (that's 'computer speak' for 'in my opinion') but very nice under the bow. I like how they speak so easily on the E and A strings. Surprisingly, on this new bass, they still have a tendency to 'squeak' once in a while. I spent a short period (a few weeks) trying to learn to sing (vocally) and this is the sound I'd like to get with my arco playing (not my voice, something nicer). I think that I get a nice singing sound with the BCs. I'll have to live with their slightly lesser pizz quality but, hey, I've got Weichs on my German plywood!
Old 01-27-2009, 06:07 AM
Senior Posting Member

Anselm Hauke is on a distinguished road

Quote:
????
imho you should give the pirazzis some weeks to develop before judging
Old 01-27-2009, 01:07 PM
Senior Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anselm Hauke View Post
????
imho you should give the pirazzis some weeks to develop before judging
IMEMHO (in my even more humble opinion),
I'm sure you're right. I'll give them another run some time down the track. Right now I just want a nice bowing sound.

My daughter is staying and, while practising yesterday, I casually asked her,
"What do you think of the sound of the bass?" I'd just put the BCs on.
"It sounds like a bass." she replied.

Many years ago I wrote a tune for my daughter. I was practising it one winter morning when she got up and came and sat by the heater. I told her I'd written what I was playing for her.
She said,
"One of these mornings, if you don't shut up, someone's going to break that bass!"

I suspect that both strings would work fine for my daughter.