Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Strings [DB] > Hybrid DB Strings

Old 01-27-2009, 11:15 PM
Senior Posting Member

Richard Prowse is on a distinguished road
Default EP or BC?

Just back from an old friend's place. He has a Christopher 600 (7/8) strung with EPs and I have a Christopher 500 (3/4) strung with BCs. Both basses seemed similar volume and sound wise, I suspect that the 600 (7/8) had a slightly bigger sound, but its action was higher and there really wasn't much in it. Both basses sounded good to us and we had a fun afternoon comparing notes about different strings we'd tried and gigs we'd done.
So, two very similar basses - which strings were better?
IMHO (in my humble opinion) the EPs had a bigger, very appealing sound and the BCs had a very beautiful 'lighter' singing sound. It was like comparing Beethoven and Mozart, a lovely sunset and a spectacular sunrise, a great lunch with friends and a wonderful night out, your best friend and your lover. Both strings were winners today.
Old 01-31-2009, 06:29 PM
Senior Posting Member

I'm about to put my EPs back on - I'm missing their pizz sound. The BCs whine a bit much the way my bass is set... it's not set low, just medium.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:46 AM
Senior Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Prowse View Post
I'm about to put my EPs back on - I'm missing their pizz sound. The BCs whine a bit much the way my bass is set... it's not set low, just medium.
Tonight I put the Weichs back on that came with the bass and they feel pretty damn good! The BCs were sweet, the EPs had a lovely strong pizz sound. The Weichs do it all!
Old 02-13-2009, 07:31 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Question The Weichs do it all?

Quote:
Tonight I put the Weichs back on that came with the bass and they feel pretty damn good! The BCs were sweet, the EPs had a lovely strong pizz sound. The Weichs do it all!
The Weichs do it all? You mean they Bow as good as the EPs? Not in my experience and nor to they sound as fat or project as well either in my world.
Old 02-15-2009, 10:13 PM
Senior Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
The Weichs do it all? You mean they Bow as good as the EPs? Not in my experience and nor to they sound as fat or project as well either in my world.
I put the EPs on for a while and then I put the BCs back on. I went to a friend's place who had EPs on a similar bass (same maker) and we compared them. I thought that the BCs had a nicer bowing sound but the EPs have a nice big strong pizz sound. I don't like the BC pizz feel (a bit too gentle under the fingers) so I put the EPs back on. I gave them a good go for about three weeks. I found I had to use a lot of rosin to make them speak (well, more than I generally use, which is about four down bows every day or two - I practise for 1 to 2 hours per day on average... sometimes less). They're big fat strings and were harder to play at the top of the board. One day I picked up my old plywood that has Weichs on. Obviously this bass can't match the new bass for sound but it was a pleasure to bow the old Weichs. I put the Weichs, that were on the new bass when I got it, back on. It had been sitting in a shop for a while (about 5 years) and hadn't been played much but the Weichs had certainly settled quite a bit. The bass felt good and the sound seemed to match those of the EPs - I played it for a while with two EPs and two Weichs on. I eventually put the BC E back on so that I could have an easy bow on the lowest notes. I'm practising a lot of bowing and I'm enjoying the sound that the 3 Weichs are giving and, of course, their reliable pizz sound. I guess the EPs and the BCs haven't lived up to all the hype for me. I've listened hard to all these strings - I'm really fussy about how my bass sounds. I've been known to change my mind, but I think that the Weichs will be staying put. People often disagree with me about the bow-ability of Weichs. I went to a clinic once (in Palmerston North) and some yankee bassist called Tom Warrington (who was playing at the clinic) rubbished what I said, which was basically that Weichs were not hard to bow (I know you have to be careful not to make them scratchy). Well, I've bowed Weichs on quite a lot of different basses but no one wanted to listen to me at that clinic. It still bugs me a bit how no one would listen. All I can say is that I'd happily put my money where my mouth is and have a 'bow off' with anyone. Just bring your bass to Wainuiomata and face up to the Weich challenge.
Old 02-27-2009, 02:51 PM
Senior Posting Member

The Weichs (with a E BC) are sounding great. I gave the EPs to my brother. I played solo the other night in a blackboard concert (90% arco). It was great to have the Weichs on board.
Old 02-27-2009, 05:09 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool gave?

Quote:
The Weichs (with a E BC) are sounding great. I gave the EPs to my brother. I played solo the other night in a blackboard concert (90% arco). It was great to have the Weichs on board.
I hope your brother plays classical DB. These are one of the top strings in Orchestras today. I know of several great players using them.

When they first came out I put a set on my Gilkes and the bass shortly after went out on sale trial. The customer put Flex 92s on the G&D because he said they rang more. I thought the Evah's were just fine top to bottom and that is with the Ext E/C. I did Beeth. 6th on that fingering all the separate 16ths in the Storm. The Bass sounded just great.

The Gilkes fell out of my rotation when the Hart came in from restoration and also using the Martini as well after a restoration on that. Today I was playing some of the Basses when my son pointed out that I play better on the Gilkes. His observation was that me and the Gilkes work best than me with the Hart or Martini and I had been playing mainly the Martini the last few weeks.

Well, I had some old Orig. Flexs on the Gilkes that I put on to try a while back and althought they worked ok, I never got used to the sound. The Ext.E/C was an old Eudoxa FlatChrome (now called Orig. FlatChr.). A few weeks ago I bought some strings to have for my Basses here in the shop and got a set of the Evah's once again. I just put them on the Gilkes and the Bass seems louder and deeper off the bat. Not smoother and not less smooth than the Flexs but just different.

So Richard, you just gave away a great set of strings.
Old 03-01-2009, 02:03 AM
Senior Posting Member

Quote:
So Richard, you just gave away a great set of strings.
Ah well, that's what brothers are for!
He helped me get my hands on a great bow that make my Weichs sound so good.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:26 PM
Senior Posting Member

Calvin Marks is on a distinguished road

I was curious about these strings so I decided to e-mail Pirastro. They contacted me the next day and offered me a FREE set...I didn't even ask for one, but that's incredible!!!
Old 03-27-2009, 08:51 PM
Posting Member

Martin Sheridan is on a distinguished road
Default solo for regular

I'm deleting this to start a new thread re: solo string set for less tension. See new thread. Thank you.

Last edited by Martin Sheridan; 03-27-2009 at 09:04 PM.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:10 PM
Senior Posting Member

Pirastro just sent me Evah Weichs and Orchestra's to try out for free. Does anyone know the gauge of the Weichs?

Thanks
Old 05-05-2009, 01:27 AM
Senior Posting Member

I emailed Pirastro to ask how the Weichs would compare with Bel Canti.
They reply:
" What we can say is that the string tension of the double bass Evah Pirazzi "Weich" strings is a bit lower compared to the Belcanto strings."
Sounds too low for me, considering the Bel Canti on my bass have a little less tension that the Spiro Weichs. Think I'll stay with the Bel Canti.

Last edited by Richard Prowse; 05-05-2009 at 01:28 AM. Reason: broken dishwasher.
Old 05-09-2009, 01:10 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Thumbs up Evah Weichs

So, what are these Evah Weichs really like as a Hybrid String? For me, Hybrid means I can play full Orchestra or full Jazz with the same set of strings on the same Bass. Add to that using the same set-up as well including string height being the same either way. One exception might be using a Pickup & Amp for Jazz.

Well, I put them first on my Big English Bass (aka Gamba Supreme or 'Big Ben' as it's known to a few, lol) and did just one Orchestra rehearsal with it. This was not the fault of the String. The Neck was too thick and the Heel to high, post-restoration. The Bass was slated for a C-Ext. anyway so I removed the Strings to try on another Bass because the Weichs don't have an E/C currently.

I put them next on my Mougenot which has quite a bit of Camber in the Neck and Fingerboard which will get corrected once it goes into restoration in the future. Why did I put them on a bass that needs work done? Well, one of my Gigs is a Show with a small B'way type Orchestra (25-30 pcs?), no Amp and we have about 10-12 services to perform. I needed a fairly big Bass to cut thru and this one fits the bill. The other reason is that the Weichs have lower tension and with the Camber of this Neck/Fingerboard being way more than 'my' personal norm, the string itself makes it possible to use the Bass. I also had a Combo Gig with Amp to use this set-up on and it worked out just fine. I have a Symphony Gig this week but doing some Ellington & Gershwin. I have all the Jazz parts to play being principal but some of them are Orchestral. I am using an Amp on most of the Concert.

They Pizz great on this Bass with or without an Amp and Jazz pizz or Orchestral pizz. They also Bow fine as well with or without the Amp as it's called for in the venue.

The Mougenot being in some state of disrepair as well as having Neck issues actually works quite well with these Evah Weichs despite its condition.

These Strings actually made me like the Bass better which before I would not even take it out. Now I feel that the Bass could easily be my Hybrid Instrument down the road as it sure has proven itself these past few weeks and gave me confidence to use it for all of this months work.

The Evah Weichs in my book are a great string. I think I like them better then the regular Evah's. The only way to really know is to try them both on the same exact bass. Calvin?
Old 05-23-2009, 02:16 PM
Senior Posting Member

Quote:

The Evah Weichs in my book are a great string. I think I like them better then the regular Evah's. The only way to really know is to try them both on the same exact bass. Calvin?
Ken, do you know the gauge for Evah Weichs?

Thanks
-Calvin
Old 05-23-2009, 04:16 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Question Gauge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin Marks View Post
Ken, do you know the gauge for Evah Weichs?

Thanks
-Calvin
You said you had a set there, no? Measure them. That's what I will have to do so just get a caliper and measure them. Simple enough.

The gauge is 'nice'. They feel fine under the fingers so I've had no need to mic them.

If there is a problem of something seems off then maybe I would check the gauges but.. what am I looking for? What good will that do? Only if I felt there was a problem would I bother to measure them. Currently they are on a bass that has gone into repair so I can't get to them to mic them.
Old 06-15-2009, 01:38 PM
Posting Member

Marcus Johnson is on a distinguished road

Quote:

The Evah Weichs in my book are a great string. I think I like them better then the regular Evah's. The only way to really know is to try them both on the same exact bass.
Ken, I had the Regular, and then the Weichs Evahs on my bass in succession. I really liked the Regulars a lot... but the Weichs have just been better for my purposes in every respect. They have more sustain on my bass, and the sound just seems more open. They feel just great... the regulars used to tire me out a bit on long days of playing, but I can go 24-7 on the Weichs. I feel that they are my "default" string now... I really can't ask for anything more, especially at the price.
Old 06-15-2009, 01:58 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool ok..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Johnson View Post
Ken, I had the Regular, and then the Weichs Evahs on my bass in succession. I really liked the Regulars a lot... but the Weichs have just been better for my purposes in every respect. They have more sustain on my bass, and the sound just seems more open. They feel just great... the regulars used to tire me out a bit on long days of playing, but I can go 24-7 on the Weichs. I feel that they are my "default" string now... I really can't ask for anything more, especially at the price.
In my opinion, the difference is mainly the tension. I think the Bass is effected the most which in return effects the player. Each bass has it's own 'sweet spot' and that's why we string them differently. Brand, gauge, material, etc. The Bass is happy when it's happy. No one string is best for all basses or all players.

I love the soft feel of the regular Evah's on my big Gamba as much as I did the Weichs. The regular Evah's felt heavier on my Gilkes (Jilkes), the exact same set. Now that they are on the Big Gamba, I can't see much difference either way from the Weichs that were on there before the Extension was made. The Top is very strong and the bass very responsive. At the time, the bass did not have an extension so I put the Weichs on. Now they make a Weich E/C but I already have the regulars on so that's how it will stay for now.

Maybe now that the bass has been played a bit and the Weichs have an E/C, next time I buy strings for it I will try the Weichs again. That's if I still have the bass. It was the 'hot one' at the ISB.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:36 PM
Junior Posting Member

Srikanth Narayanan is on a distinguished road
Default still going?

Do people here still have the love affair with Evah Pirazzi regulars going? Or is this string is sooo 2009?
Old 06-01-2011, 12:56 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool 2009 love affair?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srikanth Narayanan View Post
Do people here still have the love affair with Evah Pirazzi regulars going? Or is this string is sooo 2009?
The string is still good and I still buy them as I need. It really depends on the player, Orchestra, Jazz, etc. and what they like on their bass. Not all basses work as well with the same strings.

I have Evah regulars on my Sirleto now and they sound great so when I sell that bass, the strings might stay or go depending on the player and what he needs.

Most new strings make a big splash at first and then they go back to where they work best. Many people go back to the strings they liked on their bass before unless they were not happy to begin with and might need a change.

They are good strings and based on what you have heard or read, they are worth a try if you think they meet your requirements.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:34 PM
Posting Member

Eduardo Barbosa is on a distinguished road
Default soft x regular

Guys, quick question for those who have tried soft and regular gauge.

Is the difference in gauge, Feel, thickness, really noticeable between both gauges?

I ask because I think my bass likes lighter gauges strings. It responds more openly, but I am wondering if it's worth the investment.
I have tried many strings, I do like these strings a lot. So I am not looking for any other brand, etc. I guess, the question is will my bass like them even more?

thank you.