Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Strings [DB] > Hybrid DB Strings

Old 02-07-2007, 05:15 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb 'The Bass'

I just strung up a new Bass I acquired with regular Flexocor and a Stark 'E'. I could not believe the growl the Bass had for jazz type pizz. It has its normal booom orchestral pizz sound but played as a Jazz Bass, it just 'smokes' with those strings.

I am throughly convinced now that the actual Bass can have more to do with the growl than the string itself. On many other Basses, these strings would just go 'thud'. One might be thinking "this must be a bright sounding Bass, no?" NO! It has more of a low sweet smooth Organ type sound actually.

The Bass I am referring to is my newly acquired ex-Riccardi Storioni Pear shaped cornerless Bass c.1780, formerly attr. to d'Salo.

For Bowing, these strings are one of the top choicies for Orchestral players but rarely used for Jazz. I have used Orchestral strings for many of my Basses recently and the Jazz sound is just fantastic. Sometimes due to the added smoothness and depth of the Bass and String combined it gives more of an 'old school' sound but regardless, on the right Bass, Orchestral Strings can tear it up on the Jazz set.

Last edited by Ken Smith; 02-07-2007 at 05:48 PM. Reason: link added
Old 02-07-2007, 08:37 PM
Junior Posting Member

David Hosking is on a distinguished road

Neat bass, Ken! Hats off to you for taking on the responsibility for restoring yet another irreplaceable instrument!

Given all that burled maple, is the bass very heavy?

Arnold had noted that the cornerless shape may be the best shape for DB frequency production: is the instrument super responsive (asked by a ply-owner)?

As monstrous as the sound now is, how do you imagine the sound will be after restoration?
Old 02-07-2007, 10:58 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool condition and sound..

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hosking View Post
Neat bass, Ken! Hats off to you for taking on the responsibility for restoring yet another irreplaceable instrument!

Given all that burled maple, is the bass very heavy?

Arnold had noted that the cornerless shape may be the best shape for DB frequency production: is the instrument super responsive (asked by a ply-owner)?

As monstrous as the sound now is, how do you imagine the sound will be after restoration?
The Bass is not that heavy. Most of my Basses weigh between 20 and 25lbs on the scale out of the case. Now that you asked, I will weigh this one tomorrow. I looked well inside the Bass yesterday while doing so basic set-up alterations and I am confident it can be played as-is for awhile. It was purchased by the previous owner around 1962 and the extension was put on a few years later by DeLucchia. Not much has been done to it other then 'needed' repairs in that time. This will be its first full restoration in our lifetime.

The low end vibrates my gut and ribs when I play the Bass. After restoration I can only imagine the sound to be tighter and back to its Organ-like tone when it breaks in again from the new wood inside.

I have had at least 5 Basses in the past that were fully restored with 'everything' needed being done to it regardless of cost. Each and every Bass was improved from day one after the restoration and every Bass mellowed with time afterwards as the new wood settled in and Bass re-developed itself.

Edit: Ok, I weighed the Bass on a UPS scale and without anything attached other than the Endpin which I cut 6" off the rod ( I use only the 1st or 2nd notch) the Bass weighs just about 25lbs. It doesn't feel that heavy. The Bollbach Lion is 25lbs, the Gilkes about 24+ and then downwards from there. The Prescott was around 30ish.. ouch!

Last edited by Ken Smith; 02-08-2007 at 12:39 PM. Reason: weight..
Old 02-08-2007, 12:05 PM
Senior Posting Member

stan haskins is on a distinguished road
Default Incredible . .

Ken, that bass is beautiful. What a find.
Old 05-29-2007, 02:56 PM
Senior Posting Member

Richard Prowse is on a distinguished road
Default Wow from me too.

Is it hard to handle without corners to lift it?
I'd love to hear this bass. Any chance of posting a little recording?
Old 05-29-2007, 03:19 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Lightbulb Recording?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Prowse View Post
Is it hard to handle without corners to lift it?
I'd love to hear this bass. Any chance of posting a little recording?
Richard, there is no way that Computer Speakers could have the slightest chance in reproducing what this Bass sounds like. In Recording, you can make a cheap Chinese Bass sound deeper than a 100k Italian. In the room, it will shake your guts and make your ear drums close for protection as it has sub-sonic undertones and pure thick fundamental Bass tones on every note not to mention severe carrying power as it has a reputation for 30+ years in the Pennsylvania Ballet for being heard over the Orchestra up in the 'nose bleed' section no doubt and that's in a bad acoustical sounding theater!

I have played dozens of old Italian Basses and this one has the thickest sound I have heard overall. The G string sounds like it's as thick as a finger! Only a few Basses ever that I have played comes close to this one in pure tone. I don't know if a Mic or Pick-up even exists that could actually record all the frequencies and colors of this Bass let alone speakers to reproduce it. Take my word for it, it's a good Bass!! Real real good Bass....Fixed or broken even..

Oh, lifting? Yes, not the easiest Bass to move around. I used it on 3 rehearsals and one concert. Then Arnold told me not to play it anymore until it gets fixed. I have de-tuned the Bass and have it sitting in my rack. When the Hart Bass is completed I will bring this up to Arnold to restore. If all goes well, I will have it for part of the 2008-2009 Orchestra season.

Until then I will be stuck(lol) with playing my other Basses..

Wanna play it? Get your butt over here before Arnold takes it apart. When it's all fixed and restored, the string length will be 42" max.. Right now it's at a full size length at 44 1/2" or so. A Mans Bass!
Old 05-29-2007, 08:55 PM
Senior Posting Member

Richard Prowse is on a distinguished road

Bravo!
Bravo bravo bravo