Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Electric Basses > Woods, Electronics, & Components

Old 08-29-2010, 04:13 AM
Posting Member

Anton Hasias is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Smith classic wax polish rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
Non solvent type mineral oil. Use as needed..
I use on my fretted and fretless Smith basses, on the ebony fretboard, the "Smith classic wax polish" and the result was much better than only the lemon oil.

Best regards
Old 08-29-2010, 08:49 AM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Yes...

Yes, the Smith Classic Wax Polish is excellent for the Ebony FB.

Old 08-29-2010, 12:32 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up yes..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bishop View Post
Yes, the Smith Classic Wax Polish is excellent for the Ebony FB.
I didn't mention the wax polish because not everyone has it. Still, in the shop we normally use mineral oil for maintenance or the wax polish. In the finishing we do put an initial coat of oil on the board when oiling the neck and body but just that one coat and then wiped off. That is just a sealer, one time.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:26 AM
Junior Posting Member

Rainer Bastian is on a distinguished road
Default Neck Thickness

I own and owned a lot of BTs, BMTs and BSRs and I found that the newer BSR necks feel thicker, beefier than the older BT and BMT necks. What was the reason for this change ? Customer demand ? Construction issue ? Ken's personal feel ?

It's not about pro and con of the neck thickness in common. I feel comfortable with both. I'm only interested in the reason for the change at Smith basses.

I would also like to know when exactly the transition to the beefier necks has started.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:47 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb thickness..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer Bastian View Post
I own and owned a lot of BTs, BMTs and BSRs and I found that the newer BSR necks feel thicker, beefier than the older BT and BMT necks. What was the reason for this change ? Customer demand ? Construction issue ? Ken's personal feel ?

It's not about pro and con of the neck thickness in common. I feel comfortable with both. I'm only interested in the reason for the change at Smith basses.

I would also like to know when exactly the transition to the beefier necks has started.
About 10-15 years ago or so we started making the Fingerboards thicker to have a longer life in fretting and re-fretting as boards get sanded and re-leveled once in awhile. If you start out thinner, the life of the board is way less. Changing the board is a huge job and requires refinish as well. It could easily cost half the price of a new bass for such a huge project.

The rear of the necks are more consistent now as well to ensure that the area under the truss rod entrance and nut is not weak in case of a fall.

Thin necks or overly thick ones can promote bad technique in ones playing. Many people are self taught and may not know the difference but comfort is the goal here. Straining your hand, wrist or fingers for over or undersized necks can promote injury as well over long periods of time.