Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > This Old Bass > Italian Bass School

Old 10-13-2008, 06:44 PM
Junior Posting Member

Mikko Moilanen is on a distinguished road
Default ?????????????

WELL,

As Ken puts it down very light, I really have a very special upright.

It looks bad, it sounds bad-ass. She is a lady.

Last edited by Mikko Moilanen; 10-15-2008 at 03:57 PM. Reason: quit
Old 02-17-2009, 02:56 PM
Junior Posting Member

Default Playing it for a time...

Hi you all poindexters!

After awhile...

The old-lady has opened her knees, the sound is (well, for me) a huge amount better and in orchestra : "This is not the bass you used to play? It is more bassy tune..". At that first moment I knew that this instrument is not to die for.. I enjoy it just to live more!
It is amazing.. And let me tell you, the old Finnish weather puts everything fear-dry on hold. With this bass we have none of that. I will keep you posted if something happens
This bass is amazing and at this date, I am looking to the Ken's sent appraisals for it.. Thanks for those btw Seems to be a real lady ..

-M
Old 02-17-2009, 04:08 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Question what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikko Moilanen View Post
Hi you all poindexters!

After awhile...

The old-lady has opened her knees, the sound is (well, for me) a huge amount better and in orchestra : "This is not the bass you used to play? It is more bassy tune..". At that first moment I knew that this instrument is not to die for.. I enjoy it just to live more!
It is amazing.. And let me tell you, the old Finnish weather puts everything fear-dry on hold. With this bass we have none of that. I will keep you posted if something happens
This bass is amazing and at this date, I am looking to the Ken's sent appraisals for it.. Thanks for those btw Seems to be a real lady ..

-M
Sorry, I can't understand exactly what you are saying? Do you think this is not my old Bass? It is, 100%. Just look at the pictures I sent you. Same exact bass, wood grain and all. Only difference now is that it was converted to a 5 string, the Rivolta label removed by someone and the other label that matches your appraisal put in by someone again, maybe same person re-labeling it.

When you have a bass for 20 years and play it nearly every day, you tend to remember it. With my old pictures I showed you, there is no doubt in my mind what it is. I never knew the actual confirmed maker of this Bass regardless of the label but I do not disagree with your current appraisal attribution.

This Bass served me well and I am sure will do the same for you. Enjoy it Mikko.
Old 02-19-2009, 03:39 PM
Junior Posting Member

Just making it know that the bass is in a good shape, despite the dry cold winter here. And soundwise it has made some real progress.
Yeah, I have the pics you sent me Ken, and it is the same bass! Nothing speculative. Al McKibbon seems to be relaxing on those. Nice pics!
Old 02-19-2009, 03:51 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Great..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikko Moilanen View Post
Just making it know that the bass is in a good shape, despite the dry cold winter here. And soundwise it has made some real progress.
Yeah, I have the pics you sent me Ken, and it is the same bass! Nothing speculative. Al McKibbon seems to be relaxing on those. Nice pics!
Great. I am glad to see that the Bass is healthy and happy as well. Like I may have mentioned before, I never had it set up for Orchestra playing. I had very tight bridge spacing (23.5-24mm) for my playing style back then. The Bass served me well for the 15 years I used it professionally. It is one of the great basses no doubt.

Once when doing a Jingle (commercial recording) with a 60 piece orchestra and 3 basses in total, I was told after the mixing session that between the Gagliano, Bergonzi and my bass, I had the best sound of the 3. The other two players were the first and second call studio players on the commercial Classical recordings in NYC then. The first guy formerly worked in the NY Phil. He is quite famous as a player and a teacher as well.