Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Electric Basses > Music [BG] > Jazz and R&B Corner

Old 12-22-2008, 10:50 AM
Junior Posting Member

Bram Schoonderbeek is on a distinguished road
Default Sheet music??

Hi there,

I was wondering, I'm really drawn to gospel/rn'b lately seeing all sorts of great bass players on youtube like Dwayne Wright for example... that guy is fantastic!
I really am looking for some good sheet music where that kind of super cool licks are written down, is there anybody who can give me a nice start on some material I can set my teeth in? so I can play some stuff this Smith bass as actually in its right element.

I never readed any music before, but to read it is the only way to really learn and progress to a level I want to be at.
Any tips would make me very happy!

Also is there anyone who ordered gospelchops by any chance, I would like to know if that is something I could learn from.

Many thx in advance!
Old 12-22-2008, 04:27 PM
Senior Posting Member

Bob Faulkner is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bram Schoonderbeek View Post
so I can play some stuff this Smith bass as actually in its right element.
them there's fightin words.. I play heavy metal on my Smith, and it's perfectly in it's element.. We had a death metal band over not so long ago to watch one of our rehearsals, and all their drummer could do through the whole night was repeat "Oh My God the tone from that bass is awesome!!", over and over..

Smith's are versatile things..

My band's site:
Delusional Mind
Old 12-23-2008, 05:59 AM
Junior Posting Member

Bram Schoonderbeek is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Faulkner View Post
them there's fightin words.. I play heavy metal on my Smith, and it's perfectly in it's element.. We had a death metal band over not so long ago to watch one of our rehearsals, and all their drummer could do through the whole night was repeat "Oh My God the tone from that bass is awesome!!", over and over..

Smith's are versatile things..
Hi Bob,

This is personal I guess, somehow I expected this from you hehe
I respect your choice of instrument and music you choose to play ofcourse. It's only my opinion a Ken Smith sounds great in a gospel/Rn'B setting, as it is in latin, jazz and soul... music wich I like very much.
I like the instrument very much, but to my taste it's not suited for absolutely everything, I have more instruments to suit my tastes for sertain situations. As I'm sure other people have other instruments aswell exept Smith axes.
Again I'm not saying what you do would not fit ofcourse, I think you do a great job in making a great portion of the sound of your band!
One thing I can say is a Smith has a very distinct caracter, I can't say that for other brands that much... exept maybe music man/gibson thunderbird/older Fender basses, I think that's a good thing!
Old 12-23-2008, 12:56 PM
Senior Posting Member

Bob Faulkner is on a distinguished road

The beauty of a Smith is the versatility, at least when dealing with 5 knobbers with switches.. I can adjust my Smith to sound amazing in any style.. From throat stomping death metal to slap happy funk, to gospel, etc.. It's really my go-to bass for everything. The only time I use another bass is on detuned songs and those needing 5 strings.. The latter will change when I get my Smith BSR5TNE in a couple of years..

My band's site:
Delusional Mind
Old 05-14-2009, 08:33 PM
Posting Member

Michael Wilson is on a distinguished road
Default You Tube Video

Hey guys,

I know you all may have seen the video on you tube, The Anointed Pace Sisters, High Praise with Darrell Freeman playing his Bubinga BT6. If not, its a must see and hear. The tone of that bass is awesome.

Mike