Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Double Bass Talk in General

Old 09-14-2014, 12:26 PM
Junior Posting Member

Griffin Revell is on a distinguished road
Default Bass Upgrade

Alright guys I'm kinda new here but I hope this is the right place to post this message. I am considering upgrading to a better bass. Currently I am playing on a Shen 200 7/8 Willow and I am looking to get something a bit better. I have just started college so I figure that it would be a good idea to start looking around at my options. I know that Ken does not like Upton at all however other students here have had great success with them. Another name that I keep seeing is Solano. Really though, I'm open to any suggestions that you guys might have! Thanks in advance!
Old 09-14-2014, 10:45 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffin Revell View Post
Alright guys I'm kinda new here but I hope this is the right place to post this message. I am considering upgrading to a better bass. Currently I am playing on a Shen 200 7/8 Willow and I am looking to get something a bit better. I have just started college so I figure that it would be a good idea to start looking around at my options. I know that Ken does not like Upton at all however other students here have had great success with them. Another name that I keep seeing is Solano. Really though, I'm open to any suggestions that you guys might have! Thanks in advance!
This is Ken, so you need not refer to me in the third person or as if I am not here. I see every single post that goes up and you are welcome to ask me directly.

The students that are satisfied with the basses they buy are limited knowledge bass buyers. They might know know all of what they are looking at.

Of modern available basses beside Shen and the other two you mentioned are also the Calin Wultur basses. For fully carved basses under the 10k price, they are my personal pick. I have sold many of them and never a single problem, not one. That's a much better track record than the other makers you've mentioned. Solano basses from what I have seen and know are one of a kinds, made by one guy and very individual looking so it is very hard to judge them that way. The two Solanos I have had beside me in orchestras were very workable basses.

You can call me if you want to discuss any of these makers or companies. I know them all fairly well.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:54 AM
Junior Posting Member

Griffin Revell is on a distinguished road

Sorry for the third person I may take you up on that phone call. I know you are very knowledgeable about this topic and I am most definitely not!
Old 09-15-2014, 01:06 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Call me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffin Revell View Post
Sorry for the third person I may take you up on that phone call. I know you are very knowledgeable about this topic and I am most definitely not!
That's ok. Most people know less than they think. Then they go on-line and brag about their new bass. One company you mentioned asks the people to do that to help them but if you don't like, they don't want you talking.. lol.. Say good or say nothing is their suggestion. That is ok in life but with products, truth is truth.

Call me. It will be interesting, I promise you.

Tags
shen upgrade