Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > This Old Bass > French Bass School

Old 01-25-2011, 02:25 PM
Senior Posting Member

Adrian Levi is on a distinguished road
Question French backs

Ken , is it true that from about the 1700's up to about the 1800's French basses were either made with round or flat backs and then generally after 1800's round backs became the norm..?
Old 01-25-2011, 04:07 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Question ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Levi View Post
Ken , is it true that from about the 1700's up to about the 1800's French basses were either made with round or flat backs and then generally after 1800's round backs became the norm..?
No. I see more or as many Flat Back French basses than Round Back. I have not seen any French Basses before 1800 that I can recall.

Where did you hear this from?
Old 01-26-2011, 01:59 AM
Senior Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
No. I see more or as many Flat Back French basses than Round Back. I have not seen any French Basses before 1800 that I can recall.

Where did you hear this from?

I read this on page 14 of this paper pdf on a study of round vs flat backs , there is a chart on page 14 that goes through the centuries of back design ..

http://iwk.mdw.ac.at/Forschung/pdf_d...ssertation.pdf
Old 01-26-2011, 08:55 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Exclamation ?? no no

Quote:
I read this on page 14 of this paper pdf on a study of round vs flat backs , there is a chart on page 14 that goes through the centuries of back design ..

http://iwk.mdw.ac.at/Forschung/pdf_d...ssertation.pdf
There is a chart at the bottom of page 3. They say that in France they made Round Backs after 1800 and on. This is NOT True at all. Like I said, they made more Flat than round from what I have seen. For quality I agree that round was preferred but look at all The Flat Back basses by Barbe, Gand, the Jacquet family, Claudot and Lamy as well as other makers. Predominantly Flat Backs were made from cost. Also, in the article someone in Germany I think stated it was easier to make a roundback than a Flat due to the braces. This maybe be true with mass produced factory basses but by hand, the Round back is MUCH more work.

Like many other articles, once written people believe them to be true. The false information might just be a mistake on the writers part of something self serving to pre-date a Flatback bass for more profit. Totally untrue in regards to the Flatback bass unless they are just referring to preference for quality in make.
Old 01-26-2011, 03:35 PM
Senior Posting Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
There is a chart at the bottom of page 3. They say that in France they made Round Backs after 1800 and on. This is NOT True at all. Like I said, they made more Flat than round from what I have seen. For quality I agree that round was preferred but look at all The Flat Back basses by Barbe, Gand, the Jacquet family, Claudot and Lamy as well as other makers. Predominantly Flat Backs were made from cost. Also, in the article someone in Germany I think stated it was easier to make a roundback than a Flat due to the braces. This maybe be true with mass produced factory basses but by hand, the Round back is MUCH more work.

Like many other articles, once written people believe them to be true. The false information might just be a mistake on the writers part of something self serving to pre-date a Flatback bass for more profit. Totally untrue in regards to the Flatback bass unless they are just referring to preference for quality in make.
ok thats interesting and some more good info to know .
Old 02-11-2011, 09:29 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Arrow clarification..

Quote:
ok thats interesting and some more good info to know .
Possibly after 1800, they 'started' making Roundbacks 'along' with Flatbacks! I don't know much about 18th century French Basses as there are not that many of them around. Some of them probably look Italian and are attributed as such in error.

They made both types of backs in the 19th century in both Gamba and Violin shape. Most French Basses had broad shoulders up until close to the 20th century when the Pear shaped model with sloped shoulders became popular. That model was 'added' to the others being made and was not a replacement of the bigger models as they still made those as well.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:47 AM
Posting Member

Dave Whitla is on a distinguished road

My bass was made in the late 1700's in Paris. It has a flat back. I don't think that helps argue either case, but there you are.