Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Electric Basses > Amps, etc. [BG]

Old 10-22-2007, 07:04 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Question Small, light, loud and good!??

My son called me today and asked me what Amps/Cabs are available today that are small and lightweight yet loud and good quality.

He has both an EBS 350 and 650 heads as well as a 2/10 and 1/10 cabinet. The 1/10 has worked fine before but is on the 'fritz'. I am waiting for some parts from EBS to fix it. The 2/10 is just too heavy along with the head for him to move around for small combo one-nighters.

Is there a decent lightweight, loud, affordable Combo Amp out there that might cover this? Fender? SWR? .. Something on the hi-tech side with a horn in it for the highs in his Smith Bass.

We also have an old original/modified BabyBlue but that is not enough volume for him. The 1/10 EBS puts out a lot of Volume so he is looking along that line for sound.

Suggestions?
Old 10-22-2007, 08:53 PM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Combo Amp....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
My son called me today and asked me what Amps/Cabs are available today that are small and lightweight yet loud and good quality.

He has both an EBS 350 and 650 heads as well as a 2/10 and 1/10 cabinet. The 1/10 has worked fine before but is on the 'fritz'. I am waiting for some parts from EBS to fix it. The 2/10 is just too heavy along with the head for him to move around for small combo one-nighters.

Is there a decent lightweight, loud, affordable Combo Amp out there that might cover this? Fender? SWR? .. Something on the hi-tech side with a horn in it for the highs in his Smith Bass.

We also have an old original/modified BabyBlue but that is not enough volume for him. The 1/10 EBS puts out a lot of Volume so he is looking along that line for sound.

Suggestions?

I would highly recommend the Eden Metro. This is a great combo amp and IMO the best on the market . Power + ? Oh yeah! With impedance options of 8/4/2 ohms you get 300/500/750 Watts respectively. Obviously, you have some nice options here with the multiple impedance options.

For example: A nice way to go with this would be to find one or order one rated at 4 ohms, get the 500W output and have the option to add another 4 ohm cabinet (i.e. Eden 410 XST) later (if desired) and get the full 750W+ @ 2 ohms. At any rate, with a balanced XLR out (including level output adjust), Semi-Parametric EQ, etc., there's much flexibility with this amp.

Check out the following link for add'l info:

http://www.eden-electronics.com/prod...ndiv/metro.asp

Last edited by Tim Bishop; 10-22-2007 at 09:58 PM.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:29 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Question Eden Metro ..or?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bishop View Post
I would highly recommend the Eden Metro. This is a great combo amp and IMO the best on the market . Power + ? Oh yeah! With impedance options of 8/4/2 ohms you get 300/500/750 Watts respectively. Obviously, you have some nice options here with the multiple impedance options.

For example: A nice way to go with this would be to find one or order one rated at 4 ohms, get the 500W output and have the option to add another 4 ohm cabinet (i.e. Eden 410 XST) later (if desired) and get the full 750W+ @ 2 ohms. At any rate, with a balanced XLR out (including level output adjust), Semi-Parametric EQ, etc., there's much flexibility with this amp.

Check out the following link for add'l info:

http://www.eden-electronics.com/prod...ndiv/metro.asp
I looked it up and it is 78lbs. It also looks like the SWR Redhead. He has a 2/10 EBS cab but it's just too heavy. He likes the 1/10 idea. Eden also has CXC210, 68lbs and the CXC110 combo at 39 lbs. Are the CXC Combos durable enough to crank out some volume and not blow the speakers?

Also, how does your choice of the Metro compare to the Redhead? I don't know if this 78lb Combo is small enough for his 'lugging'.

(I just happen to own serial no.48 of the Redheads from when they first came out. It has been back for repairs several years ago and is close to the Super Redhead model after the slight mods they made.)
Old 10-23-2007, 12:08 AM
Senior Posting Member

Thumbs up Comparison...

Quote:
I looked it up and it is 78lbs. It also looks like the SWR Redhead. He has a 2/10 EBS cab but it's just too heavy. He likes the 1/10 idea. Eden also has CXC210, 68lbs and the CXC110 combo at 39 lbs. Are the CXC Combos durable enough to crank out some volume and not blow the speakers?

Also, how does your choice of the Metro compare to the Redhead? I don't know if this 78lb Combo is small enough for his 'lugging'.

(I just happen to own serial no.48 of the Redheads from when they first came out. It has been back for repairs several years ago and is close to the Super Redhead model after the slight mods they made.)

The CXC models are the lower-end of Edens Combo's and simply are'nt going to give you what the Metro will. No comparison really. If you look at the specs on the CXC models you'll see that quickly. The frequency response range of the CXC is good; just not much power. Now, if weight is that big an issue and if he's playing at really low volumes, the CXC could be a great economical route for him to take. However, if he ever finds he needs more head-room, he'll hit a wall quickly.

I'm not sure that SWR still makes the Read Head, however, the newer Super Red Head's weigh in at around 80lbs and are very nice amps. While somewhat comparable to the Metro, they still don't have the output potential of the Metro.

At a minimum, he should locate any of these combos we've discussed here, try them out and determine what fits his needs the best.

My money would be on the Eden Metro. Also, if you shop around, I'm sure you could track one down at a great price.

Last edited by Tim Bishop; 10-23-2007 at 12:27 AM.
Old 10-23-2007, 03:06 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Question Eden DC112XLT Bass Combo?

Or this maybe at 49lbs?
Old 10-23-2007, 11:02 AM
Senior Posting Member

Bob Faulkner is on a distinguished road

Bah.. I have no patience for light rigs! Mine weighs over 300lbs..

=D

My band's site:
Delusional Mind
Old 10-23-2007, 11:40 AM
Senior Posting Member

Anselm Hauke is on a distinguished road

i heard good things about this:
http://www.markbass.it/products.php?...&cat=3&vedi=41
from EB and DB players.
i had a very similar top (littlemark) that made a good db-sound and was "small and lightweight yet loud and good quality"

there is much info about markbass at TB.
if i had to buy a new combo now i would check out this one
Old 10-23-2007, 12:14 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Unhappy But...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anselm Hauke View Post
i heard good things about this:
http://www.markbass.it/products.php?...&cat=3&vedi=41
from EB and DB players.
i had a very similar top (littlemark) that made a good db-sound and was "small and lightweight yet loud and good quality"

there is much info about markbass at TB.
if i had to buy a new combo now i would check out this one
Thank you but nothing foreign please. We have this problem already with EBS being so far away as far as service goes. With Eden and SWR we have much better options for service here.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:21 PM
Senior Posting Member

Anselm Hauke is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Thank you but nothing foreign please. .
ok ok, but it´s italian....
Old 10-25-2007, 02:44 AM
Senior Posting Member

Richard Prowse is on a distinguished road

Foreign?
Isn't SWR foreign?
I think it's made in the USA.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:51 PM
Junior Posting Member

Chuck Ruby is on a distinguished road

Hey Ken,

If you still need a light weight cab, give Marc at DR. BASS a call. Phone #; 843-278-5227. web site; www.drbasscabs.com.
We can also build what we call "Air Heads"; a cabinet with a 2,3, or 4 space rack on top to add your favorite head, making it your own custom combo.
By the way, all 3 of my basses are doing just fine. Folks here in Myrtle Beach,SC just love the MD-7.

Looking forward to hear from you!

Chuck Ruby
Dr. Bass LLC
190 Manor Crl Unit 2
PO Box 31647
Myrtle Beach, SC 29588
Old 11-07-2007, 01:18 PM
Posting Member

Bill Doss is on a distinguished road

Gallien Krueger 1001RB II head with any of their Neo speaker cabs. They sound great, are lightweight, and made in California.

http://www.myspace.com/pbass19
Old 11-08-2007, 07:07 AM
Posting Member

Christopher Rhodes is on a distinguished road
Default Lightweight, affordable amp

Interesting requirements.

Lightweight generally means more money - unless you search long and hard for something used.

Affordable - meanings under $1k.

I think the best bet is the Markbass amps. I understand the problem of having it serviced in the USA - so you only want only USA equip - that makes sense - however...

At 6.5 pounds I travel to gigs now with my amp head in a laptop bag. At 500 watts @4ohm - it has plenty of power for small to medium gigs. Ive even down an outside winery gig with it. I got it used for $500.

Some comparable USA models are GK, Claraus and the Eden WT 550 - each has more weight that the markbass. There could be other USA models available - but this is want comes to mind right now.

I think the small, light and loud - and high quality are a universasl requirement by a lot of gigging modern bass players. So check this link out: http://www.youtube.com/profile_video...rkbassAmps&p=v

I hope this helps.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:48 AM
Junior Posting Member

Scott Reed is on a distinguished road

I recently borrowed a friends Mesa Walkabout Scout 112 and was blown away by how light and loud it was. I played a double gig, an outdoor concert called In The Streets in Frederick, Maryland and a small club called Firestones.

Plenty of volume for the outdoor stage and ran the club with no PA support. It is 300 watts, 12" speaker with and additional downfiring passive sub. They also make a 15" version but I have not played that one.

Anyway, it is highly recommended for small gigs and gigs with PA support. Its 50 lbs, here is some more info:

http://www.mesaboogie.com/Reviews/Ba...ayer-Scout.htm

I am currently looking for a used one, new they are a bit pricey.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:46 AM
Senior Posting Member

Cool Eden WTX-260

My latest recommendation for "Small, light, loud and good!??"

Just got my Eden WTX-260 a couple of days ago. At 3.8lbs, the tone, power, and options on this little guy is incredible. At a 4-Ohm load it will flat bring it. I played it through an Eden 210XST(4) and it pushed that cabinet without stoppin to take a breath. Plus, you can carry it in your gig-bag! What's not to like?

Check it out:

http://www.eden-electronics.com/info...260feature.asp

Old 12-05-2007, 12:54 PM
Senior Posting Member

Albert Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool For Free!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bishop View Post
My latest recommendation for "Small, light, loud and good!??"

Just got my Eden WTX-260 a couple of days ago. At 3.8lbs, the tone, power, and options on this little guy is incredible. At a 4-Ohm load it will flat bring it. I played it through an Eden 210XST(4) and it pushed that cabinet without stoppin to take a breath. Plus, you can carry it in your gig-bag! What's not to like?

Check it out:

http://www.eden-electronics.com/info...260feature.asp
Tim I ordered the wrong rack ears for my WT 550 I order the Eden WTX-260 joints. If you need a pair of ears their yours free of charge.
Old 12-05-2007, 02:24 PM
Senior Posting Member

Cool Thx Al!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Smith View Post
Tim I ordered the wrong rack ears for my WT 550 I order the Eden WTX-260 joints. If you need a pair of ears their yours free of charge.
Thx Al, I do appreciate you thinking of me. However, my WTX-260 will never see a rack as long as I own it. At 3.8 lbs. it's too easy to carry in the pouch of my bass case. Plus, I will be useing the 260 primarily as a DI to FOH and at home as DI into my recording interface.

Hey, you might want to hang on to those. You never know, you may end up with a 260 someday.

Old 12-08-2007, 07:49 PM
Senior Posting Member

David Powell is on a distinguished road

Lightweight, USA built with 5 yr. warranty, powerful: Ampeg Portabass series. OK, it isn't necessarily "affordable" depending on the definition.

I have the PB800 head (500 W at 4 Ohms, 800 Watts at 2 Ohms). It weighs about 20 lbs. I use it with a PB 212H cab (4 Ohms) uses Italian poplar plywood (it is built in the USA though) and neodymium magnets to save weight. It has a tweeter for the highs with a volume control on the back of the cab for the tweeter. It has wheels, a baggage type collapsible handle and weighs only 38 lbs. They do make a smaller combo Portabass amp that weighs only 30 lbs. total, but I don't have experience with that. They also make a 2x10 version of the cab. I've used this rig for the loudest EBG gigs I've played and it was sufficient without going through the PA.

And then there is the AI Coda R or Contra R combo amps. Probably not enough speaker area for some applications but 400 Watts, ten, five, and tweeter at 20 lbs.
Old 12-10-2007, 07:02 AM
Posting Member

Christopher Rhodes is on a distinguished road
Default Recent Gig - for a light weight rig

I performed recently, Dec 9 2007, at the Washington DC Convention Center. The gig called for a light weight rig - but powerful to handle the venue. Load-in was 3 floors up. My load-in/load-out was done in one trip each way.

I used the Mark Bass head, LMKII, + Bag End 4x10 cabinet + Ken Smith BMT G 6-string bass. What a fun, and easy gig.

I had more than enough power with the LMKII running 300 watts with an 8Ohmn load from the cabinet. If I turned it up all the way - it was too loud. We had no PA.

I do understand one of the "requirements" is for a USA model - however - do not overlook the Itailian made amp - that only weighs 6.5 pounds.

The Eden amps are nice - but there are others - which are worthy of at least a second glance

The Smith tone was shining brightly with this amp. I ran it almost flat with little EQ for a full rich tone that the other band memebers noticed in a positive way.

This was my 3rd gig with this head and my 6 string Smith Bass.

I have another gig tonight in Baltimore. I will post the findings of this gig later this week.
Dec 10, 2007: Had another little gig. The BMT 6-String Smith was holding the bottom nicely with the light rig setup.

In conclusion, do not overlook this model - a lot of players are converting.

Last edited by Christopher Rhodes; 12-12-2007 at 07:05 AM. Reason: spellling!
Old 12-17-2007, 08:25 PM
Junior Posting Member

David Newcomb is on a distinguished road
Talking

Quote:

Suggestions?
the mesa boogie walkabout scout combos are killer for sound and fairly light for the volume- they use some tech that makes a 1x12 sound like a 15. Tried one in the store and it sounded loud, they really ought to put them in the drum department for the real tryout though