Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Electric Basses > Woods, Electronics, & Components

Old 04-20-2007, 10:54 AM
Senior Posting Member

Bob Faulkner is on a distinguished road
Default Fingerboard care

Ken, I just wanted to bounce this off you. I've read where some people have had problems with their ebony fingerboards splitting or cracking after a period of time (not Smith basses). While I'm not overly concerned I'll have this problem on my Smith fretless, I wanted to get your recommendations on how best to care for my lined fretless ebony.

Up to now all I've really done is hit it with some Smith Pro Formula Polish from time to time to remove the finger crud and ebony dust that builds up. Do I need to be oiling it or anything as well? If so what do you recommend?

My band's site:
Delusional Mind
Old 04-20-2007, 12:03 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Nooooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Faulkner View Post
Ken, I just wanted to bounce this off you. I've read where some people have had problems with their ebony fingerboards splitting or cracking after a period of time (not Smith basses). While I'm not overly concerned I'll have this problem on my Smith fretless, I wanted to get your recommendations on how best to care for my lined fretless ebony.

Up to now all I've really done is hit it with some Smith Pro Formula Polish from time to time to remove the finger crud and ebony dust that builds up. Do I need to be oiling it or anything as well? If so what do you recommend?
Don't use the Pro Formula on the FB. It is water based and may dry up and crack your FB like when your hands get wet and then dry. It has some wax in their but it's not an oil product. Use any kind of oil, any kind. Use 0000 steel wool or white scotch brite to get the dirt off but NEVER put any water product on raw wood.
Old 04-20-2007, 12:45 PM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Default One more thing....

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
Don't use the Pro Formula on the FB. It is water based and may dry up and crack your FB like when your hands get wet and then dry. It has some wax in their but it's not an oil product. Use any kind of oil, any kind. Use 0000 steel wool or white scotch brite to get the dirt off but NEVER put any water product on raw wood.

In addition to what Ken just told you: If and when you use 0000 Steel Wool, be sure and completely tape up/cover the pick-ups such that the Steel Wool dust doesn't end up in the magnetic pull of your pick-ups, thus, messing them up. Be sure all Steel Wool particals are removed/cleared from the area before removing the tape/cover from the pick-ups.

Old 04-20-2007, 12:58 PM
Junior Posting Member

Pieter Gaskin is on a distinguished road

I've had good luck in the past with an oil used on wooden clarinets.You can get it at any music store that stocks traditional wind instruments.It's cheap and easy to apply.I just run a small bead up the fingerboard,rub in with an old soft cloth and let it soak a bit before wiping it off with a clean towl.Don't use to much as you wouldn't want it to gunk up under the frets.It looks great.
Old 04-20-2007, 01:32 PM
Senior Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieter Gaskin View Post
Don't use to much as you wouldn't want it to gunk up under the frets.It looks great.

Fretless!

I use lem oil on the backs of my other necks. Guess I'll go home and slather some on my fingerboards!

Thanks for the response Ken. Your FAQ page states to use Smith Wax polish on the fingerboard but I was worried about getting a waxy buildup. Nice to know I can just use lem oil.

My band's site:
Delusional Mind
Old 04-20-2007, 01:51 PM
Senior Posting Member

Cool Nope, not what you said....

Quote:
Fretless!

I use lem oil on the backs of my other necks. Guess I'll go home and slather some on my fingerboards!

Thanks for the response Ken. Your FAQ page states to use Smith Wax polish on the fingerboard but I was worried about getting a waxy buildup. Nice to know I can just use lem oil.

Bob, in your original post, you stated you used the Pro Formula on your fretboard. This is a big NO, NO!

On Ken's FAQ Page, you are correct, Ken does say to use the Smith Classic Wax Polish on fretboards. Big difference between the two polishes! The Smith Classic Wax is perfect for the hand rubbed finishes (like the 5GN's) and fretboards (you won't get a waxy build-up). The Pro Formula is to be used for lacquer finishes only.

When needed, I clean my fretboards and frets with 0000 steel wool followed by lemon oil and this works great. Just be sure to protect the P/U's when using the steel wool!

Last edited by Tim Bishop; 04-20-2007 at 02:04 PM.
Old 04-20-2007, 04:09 PM
Senior Posting Member

I think you misunderstood me. I knew there was a difference between the 2 polishes. I didn't know if the wax polish would build up over time though. On my Smith I use the pro formula on the body and the back of the neck (someone tell me if using it on the back of a BSREG neck is bad!), and up to now on the fingerboard as well. On my other (cheaper) basses I've used lem oil on the backs of those necks. I was just stating that I'll now start using lem oil on the fingerboard of my Smith as well. I'm gonna go with Ken's suggestion of using the white scotch brite delicate surface pads to clean with.

My band's site:
Delusional Mind
Old 04-20-2007, 04:35 PM
Senior Posting Member

Cool No, no misunderstanding...

Quote:
I think you misunderstood me. I knew there was a difference between the 2 polishes. I didn't know if the wax polish would build up over time though. On my Smith I use the pro formula on the body and the back of the neck (someone tell me if using it on the back of a BSREG neck is bad!), and up to now on the fingerboard as well. On my other (cheaper) basses I've used lem oil on the backs of those necks. I was just stating that I'll now start using lem oil on the fingerboard of my Smith as well. I'm gonna go with Ken's suggestion of using the white scotch brite delicate surface pads to clean with.

Again, the Pro Formula is designed for lacguer finishes. EG Models have lacquer finishes (including the back of the neck), so, to answer your concern about using it on your EG......that is what Pro Formula is designed for. Just not on the fingerboard!

Last edited by Tim Bishop; 04-20-2007 at 04:55 PM.