Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Electric Basses > Woods, Electronics, & Components

Old 06-28-2007, 11:46 AM
Posting Member

Dennis Michaels is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Smith View Post
Honestly I never played through a matched Eden rig, I either found myself playing through someones Eden head or someones Eden cab, mostly 2-10 or 4-10. I cant say that I actually had that epiphany when it comes to the clarity surrounding the Eden brand. I do look forward to playing through a matched set Head as well as cab. It will be interesting to see if I'm persuaded to cross over from my Ampeg rig to Eden.
I played Ampeg for 20 years. For me the first time I plugged into an Eden rig was like abreath of non muddy fresh air. I found a deal on a new WT550 because I needed a back up head for my SVTIIIPro. I lved how it sounded. I ordered my first Eden cabinet from Zzounds.com. They had a 30 day money back gnty. I ordered a 4 ohm 210XST and never looked back. It was more potent than the pair of 210HE's I was running with the IIIPro. Now I run mainly 212 cabs for most things. For rock gigs depending on the type I'll run the 210XST/112XLT combination, the 210/212 or for classic rock dual 212's.
www.kensmithbasses.com
www.eden-electronics.com

Tone matters so play the best through the best.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:00 PM
Posting Member

Ronson Hall is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Michaels View Post
I played Ampeg for 20 years. For me the first time I plugged into an Eden rig was like abreath of non muddy fresh air. I found a deal on a new WT550 because I needed a back up head for my SVTIIIPro. I lved how it sounded. I ordered my first Eden cabinet from Zzounds.com. They had a 30 day money back gnty. I ordered a 4 ohm 210XST and never looked back. It was more potent than the pair of 210HE's I was running with the IIIPro. Now I run mainly 212 cabs for most things. For rock gigs depending on the type I'll run the 210XST/112XLT combination, the 210/212 or for classic rock dual 212's.

Dennis, what do you appreciate most about the 212 cabinet, or the 12" speaker enclosures as a whole? Is it the volume/clarity, or the ability of the cabinet to handle anything?

I'm asking becuase I've become so accustomed to 10" speakers, I find myself hesitant in considering other speaker sizes. Plus, I play in church 95% of the time, and I haven't seen a need for bigger speakers.

Also, for years I've played out of a SWR Goliath III (410) cab. I LOVE my Eden Traveler Plus, but I'm afriad I've been missing out on a whooooole lot because it's an 8 ohm cab (although it sounds great).

I probably need to seriously consider some Eden 4 ohm cabs, huh?
Old 06-28-2007, 12:07 PM
Posting Member

The 212XLT is a very old school sounding cabinet and in my opinion a great middle of the road between a traditional XLT and XST. The tone to me is very remenisant of the late '70's Sunn concert bass 215 only with tightness and clarity. I was a 10's guy for 20 years. The 112XLT is definately an XLT cabinet. I love it for theater btouring and church work because it cuts without having a BIG bottom. The 112 runs to 38hz but has an agressive mid. The 212 is just a fat "do all" cabinet. My 212's are 4 ohm so I can run one with my WT400 and get the power.

www.kensmithbasses.com
www.eden-electronics.com

Old 06-28-2007, 11:28 PM
Junior Posting Member

Chris Holsopple is on a distinguished road

When I bought my first Eden set up, I started with a WT800. They were then rated at 425 watts per/ch @ 4 ohms. I was so dissappointed with the output (lack of) I was sure there was something wrong with the head. A few days later I returned it for another one and the new one was no different. So I took a Crest FA901 out of my PA rack and used it for power coming out of the post FX jacks on the WT800. The Crest put the Eden's power section to shame and the Crest was, if I recall correctly, rated at 370 watts per/ch @ 4 ohms. There really was no comparison. I took the WT800 back to the store and left with a Navigator preamp and used the Crest for power. The Crest was cleaner than the Eden power section, as well. A few years ago I upgraded to a Crest LT1000, but when my back started giving me problems, I opted for a QSC PLX 2400, thereby losing 17 lbs from the rack. I have all kinds of headroom, but the low "oomph" just doesn't seem up to par with the Crest. Most guys who use 12's or 10's probably wouldn't notice it, tho (I also use Eden 18's).
EQ wise, the Navi is pretty close to flat, just a slight bump at 140Hz and 6.8kHz, and the low control is boosted slightly. The enhance is strait up at 12 o'clock. On both my Smiths (they do vary slightly) I generally start out with the hi and mid boosted about 3db and leave the low flat or a slight boost and just tune them to the room.
Now if Eden would just make super-lite cabs.... (no, not the Nemesis stuff )
Old 06-29-2007, 08:59 AM
Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Holsopple View Post
When I bought my first Eden set up, I started with a WT800. They were then rated at 425 watts per/ch @ 4 ohms. I was so dissappointed with the output (lack of) I was sure there was something wrong with the head. A few days later I returned it for another one and the new one was no different. So I took a Crest FA901 out of my PA rack and used it for power coming out of the post FX jacks on the WT800. The Crest put the Eden's power section to shame and the Crest was, if I recall correctly, rated at 370 watts per/ch @ 4 ohms. There really was no comparison. I took the WT800 back to the store and left with a Navigator preamp and used the Crest for power. The Crest was cleaner than the Eden power section, as well. A few years ago I upgraded to a Crest LT1000, but when my back started giving me problems, I opted for a QSC PLX 2400, thereby losing 17 lbs from the rack. I have all kinds of headroom, but the low "oomph" just doesn't seem up to par with the Crest. Most guys who use 12's or 10's probably wouldn't notice it, tho (I also use Eden 18's).
EQ wise, the Navi is pretty close to flat, just a slight bump at 140Hz and 6.8kHz, and the low control is boosted slightly. The enhance is strait up at 12 o'clock. On both my Smiths (they do vary slightly) I generally start out with the hi and mid boosted about 3db and leave the low flat or a slight boost and just tune them to the room.
Now if Eden would just make super-lite cabs.... (no, not the Nemesis stuff )

I know what you are saying about cabinet weight. I run the 550 because it will give me 550 at 4 ohms and 750 at 2. I an trying to talk him into do a 1200 watt at 2 ohm mono head. No matter whatter they do, most of their heads (stero type) max at about 450 at 4.They are working on new neo cabinets but David says it hard to come up with a design that won't melt down after a year of hard driving. People want neos for normal gigging NOT low power gigs. I want a nav. to rack with my WT1000 but here again it is 450 a side or 1000 bribged at 4.
www.kensmithbasses.com
www.eden-electronics.com

Old 08-21-2007, 06:08 PM
Junior Posting Member

Jeff Lee is on a distinguished road

Treble Flat, Mid Flat, Bass depending on room. Pan, just a a tad more of the bridge PU. To me, the indent on the blend is 6 o'clock since I'm looking down at the bass so around 5 o'clock.

Bridge PU Series, Neck Parallel.

Examples on www.jeffleebass.com