Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Double Bass Talk in General

Old 01-27-2010, 06:04 AM
Senior Posting Member

Adrian Levi is on a distinguished road
Default older factory basses

I'm interested on the take on older factory basses (not ply)!

I know that these basses do lack a certain finesse in the way that they are made. But I have seen a few that with a bit of work could probably be great basses ?
Any opinions and info would be great ....
Old 01-27-2010, 08:50 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Question older?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Levi View Post
I'm interested on the take on older factory basses (not ply)!

I know that these basses do lack a certain finesse in the way that they are made. But I have seen a few that with a bit of work could probably be great basses ?
Any opinions and info would be great ....
Older? Like how old? 50, 100, 150 years? German, French?
Old 01-27-2010, 11:21 AM
Senior Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
Older? Like how old? 50, 100, 150 years? German, French?
50 to 60 years old and German
Old 01-27-2010, 12:51 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Lightbulb ok...

Quote:
50 to 60 years old and German
Ok, that would be post WWII. Depending on the Shop, quality and construction can vary. Usually the graduations are not perfect and the neck sets are shallow. Corrections can be expensive depending on what you are trying to achieve. These Basses sold from $100-$300 and up back then and into the early 1970s. Today, a new Bridge and Strings will cost more than the whole Bass was then. Repairs will run as much as the total value sometimes or even higher depending on the condition. If you don't mind playing a bass that is less than optimum condition, you can get away cheaper.

I owned a post WWII bass from Wenzel Wilfer that was his top of the line and was purchased from Metropolital Music (Juzek) in New York before the moved to Vermont. This and a few others they occassionaly got were NOT re-labeled as Juzeks. I think Wilfer (Wenzel and Anton before him) would label their top of the line basses as I have seen them and some Cellows from Anton as well dated about 1936. I have never seen the Juzek labels, all put in in New York, ever dated. About 30 years later with the new/current owner, the Wilfer Bass I sold and had bought 'new old stock' had split on the Top up both ends top to bottom under the soundpost and bassbar. I saw also a 1977 Pollmann 5 busetto with the same repair. I have now a 1977 Hofner 5 Gamba that looks brand new, never played BUT, sitting next to the Piano in some guys house for 30 years and the dry heat put 2 cracks in it up from the saddle. One under the soundpost with a beautiful inlay repair and the other just inside the bassbar up a few inches also recently repaired with the top off at the same time just a few years ago.

Now, when you see a 100, 200 or 300 year old bass with cracks, how do you know 'when' they cracked? Or, how many times was that same repair fixed and re-glued/re-studded? So, a bass cracking is not a real admission of guilt in the making or usage.

On slightly older Pre-war basses like the Blockless wonders, more work will be required to bring them up in repair to the normal and current professional build standards.
Old 01-27-2010, 01:02 PM
Senior Posting Member

Thanks for the info . I've been offered a bass made by a german factory called
'Glanus' . I have not seen the bass yet and probably wont be interested anyway ! Have you heard of the factory before ?
Old 01-27-2010, 01:18 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Question 'Glanus'?

Quote:
Thanks for the info . I've been offered a bass made by a german factory called
'Glanus' . I have not seen the bass yet and probably wont be interested anyway ! Have you heard of the factory before ?
'Glanus' does not even sound German. maybe it's a brand the importer is using. There are always more Brands being sold than actual Factories/Shops actually making them. Ask him the town or city this factory is in.

Can it be possibly be Framus?
Old 01-27-2010, 02:00 PM
Senior Posting Member

Quote:
'Glanus' does not even sound German. maybe it's a brand the importer is using. There are always more Brands being sold than actual Factories/Shops actually making them. Ask him the town or cite this factory is in.

I'll see the bass in person tomorrow and find out .
Glanus sounds more like an ancient Roman weapon
Old 01-27-2010, 06:12 PM
Senior Posting Member

Anselm Hauke is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Glanus sounds more like an ancient Roman weapon
sounds like a new bass guitar model from G&L that has something in common with a special part of the body
Old 01-28-2010, 05:17 AM
Senior Posting Member

Quote:
'Glanus' does not even sound German. maybe it's a brand the importer is using. There are always more Brands being sold than actual Factories/Shops actually making them. Ask him the town or city this factory is in.

Well yes it IS a Framus !! A hybrid type gamba shape with a ply back (probably ribs too) and a carved top . Not too bad for a touring instrument maybe. Asking price is US $700 . It is in very good condition. Anyone know these instruments ??
Old 01-28-2010, 08:14 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool well..

Quote:
Well yes it IS a Framus !! A hybrid type gamba shape with a ply back (probably ribs too) and a carved top . Not too bad for a touring instrument maybe. Asking price is US $700 . It is in very good condition. Anyone know these instruments ??
Framus and Hofner were neighbors in the same town. Two very big factories. I think the basses look almost the same between the two companies. I have a Hofner here now in a 5-string fully carved from 1977. The workmanship is good as is the sound. I think if it's in good condition and the Top is without cracks the bass is a steal at that price. Set-up is another thing. The Nut is way high on my bass original from the factory and the neck-set is low. Typical German Factory so it may need some wood as miy bass does as well.
Old 01-28-2010, 02:42 PM
Senior Posting Member

Quote:
Framus and Hofner were neighbors in the same town. Two very big factories. I think the basses look almost the same between the two companies. I have a Hofner here now in a 5-string fully carved from 1977. The workmanship is good as is the sound. I think if it's in good condition and the Top is without cracks the bass is a steal at that price. Set-up is another thing. The Nut is way high on my bass original from the factory and the neck-set is low. Typical German Factory so it may need some wood as miy bass does as well.
Thanks for the info / It's in such good condition that I'm picking it up tomorrow then !! It will make a decent jazz backup instrument I'm sure .