Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Double Bass Talk in General

Old 03-26-2010, 08:31 AM
Senior Posting Member

Adrian Levi is on a distinguished road
Default Conrad a gotz

Hi I've found a couple of basses dated 1965 Are CONRAD A GORTZ models.
They are fully carved and are Violin shape 3/4s . At the moment they are not set up and are not playable .I'm guessing that they were mid priced factory instruments ( perhaps w integral bass bar ). Any insight would be great
Old 03-27-2010, 11:16 AM
Posting Member

Martin Sheridan is on a distinguished road
Default Gotz

Gotz (with an umlaut over the O, pronounced in English Gertz). That family has been in the business for generations. I met the elder Gotz about 15 years ago and he told me they purchased all of their instruments, bows and supplies from makers they knew. They were in Bayruth or Erlangen, before the communist takeover in east germany they were in Markneukirchen and have recently returned there when the government offered them their old property which had been confiscated by the communist government. They were and are known for high quality goods.
Old 03-27-2010, 12:48 PM
Senior Posting Member

Adrian Levi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Sheridan View Post
Gotz (with an umlaut over the O, pronounced in English Gertz). That family has been in the business for generations. I met the elder Gotz about 15 years ago and he told me they purchased all of their instruments, bows and supplies from makers they knew. They were in Bayruth or Erlangen, before the communist takeover in east germany they were in Markneukirchen and have recently returned there when the government offered them their old property which had been confiscated by the communist government. They were and are known for high quality goods.
Thanks for the info ! These basses are definitely well made instruments , they look almost exactly like a Wilfer bass that I've met before which could explain the company using various makers I guess .