Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Double Bass Talk in General

Old 06-14-2007, 02:55 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up New C-Ext....

I just brought my Bisiach Bass home with its new C-Extension but this one by Jeff Bollbach. It happens to be the first Chromatic Extension that Jeff has made. I used it a bit last night for the first time and will get quite a bit more use with it tonight rehearsing a different program with another orchestra that has a bit more 'lows' written in.

Handsome devil huh? Thank's Jeff, great job.
Old 06-17-2007, 11:59 AM
Senior Posting Member

David Powell is on a distinguished road

That is pretty slick there Ken and Jeff. I mostly only read about and look at these contraptions, (you know the alternate 5-string universe thing) and this is one of the cleanest looking one's I've seen. Nice design work. I really like the shape of the fingers or cleats or whatever they should be properly called. Someday I will have to play with one just to see what it's like.

In terms of function, does one open it up a half step at a time depending on need? I know I've seen a few different designs but was never really clear on how these are different. So a little bit of educational discussion is hopefully encouraged.
Old 06-17-2007, 02:47 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Lightbulb Usage..

How I use it really depends on what I have to play and how much time I have to set the capos. If there are several various low notes I keep it open all the way or maybe close it to E or something else till I have to go lower. If It's only one lower note on occasion I might leave it set to that or keep the E closed and open to the other note as needed.

There is no set way how to use the extension. Just get all the notes played on time and in tune. That's the job! If you have a 5-string then the notes are always there BUT, that 'B' String is in the way on occasion so one has to decide which way he wants to go to 'get down'.

My stand partner has a fingered Ext with just the E closure. He doesn't seem to be playing as many of the low notes as I do especially when I can pre-set an Eb/D#, D or Db/C# as needed.

After using only a 4-string, 4-string de-tuned, 4 w/fingered Ext, 4 w/chromatic ext and a 5-string, my personal choice has become a 4-string with Chromatic Extension as the best all around 'one Bass does all' kinda thing!

This week we are doing a Pops Concert of Movie Themes with 2 tunes that NEED an Electric or Amplified Bass being the Theme from Rocky and a Disney Medley. The Traps/Drums are across the stage from us and the Tymps are behind us. It's one huge Bass Arpeggio when we all try to play time. I suggested bringing my Amp and 'hooking-up' and the Conductor agreed. Yesterday we rehearsed it with me using an Amp playing 2-3x the volume of the other 3 Basses but the Drums, they got softer and decided to LISTEN to where the beat actually IS. In a situation like this I pull rank 'time-wise' either with my fingers, verbally or both. Being the most experienced Rhythm Section player in the Orchestra I make it my job to put the time in order between the Conductor and myself at times like this.
Old 06-17-2007, 08:41 PM
Senior Posting Member

David Powell is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
Yesterday we rehearsed it with me using an Amp playing 2-3x the volume of the other 3 Basses but the Drums, they got softer and decided to LISTEN to where the beat actually IS. In a situation like this I pull rank 'time-wise' either with my fingers, verbally or both. Being the most experienced Rhythm Section player in the Orchestra I make it my job to put the time in order between the Conductor and myself at times like this.
[Italics added]
This is the first thing that I think I've seen you post that makes me truly envious! The drummers listening I mean.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:34 AM
Junior Posting Member

Michael DiFebbo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
This week we are doing a Pops Concert of Movie Themes with 2 tunes that NEED an Electric or Amplified Bass being the Theme from Rocky and a Disney Medley. The Traps/Drums are across the stage from us and the Tymps are behind us. It's one huge Bass Arpeggio when we all try to play time. I suggested bringing my Amp and 'hooking-up' and the Conductor agreed. Yesterday we rehearsed it with me using an Amp playing 2-3x the volume of the other 3 Basses but the Drums, they got softer and decided to LISTEN to where the beat actually IS.
Now if we can only get the brass to follow as well ...

It is a very strange thing to try to play in time with set drums located clear on the other side of the orchestra.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:56 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool Brass?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael DiFebbo View Post

It is a very strange thing to try to play in time with set drums located clear on the other side of the orchestra.
The Brass are never in time! That includes being on stage as well. I often say, 'the Bass section is NOT an Isle. Walk around!"
Old 06-19-2007, 11:02 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Thumbs up Oh Mike!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael DiFebbo View Post

Mike, it's you! My 4th Bass for tonights concert! (and the Mandolin in "The Godfather" theme).

Welcome to the Forum! See ya in a few hours. 11am now, 8 hours count down to the 7pm melt down (94 degrees!.. Ouch). Bring water, keep it under your stand.. Stay cool till then..