Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Luthier's Corner

Old 08-03-2007, 09:12 AM
Junior Posting Member

BillBass is on a distinguished road
Default Intonation adjustment problem/question

To adjust intonation ( I used to call this harmonic adjustment ) I chime the 12th fret and then fret it. If the freted note is sharp I move the saddle toward the bridge.

On my older 4 string basses after adjustment of the intonation the results were "always" that the G string ended up closer to the neck and the E string closer to the bridge. The front to back measurement from the G saddle to the E saddle would be around 1/4 to 1/2 inch, somewhere around there.

On my new 5 string bass the G through E strings adjust like a normal 4 string bass but the low B ran out of adjustment room toward the bridge. I turned the saddle around and gained some more adjustment, but it was still sharp.

I installed a new Hipshot bridge and positioned it so that I would have more room for the B adjustment and hence the G is almost at the maximum adjustment toward the neck, D - E back toward the bridge, like normal and the B is in tune now but is still almost at the maximum bridge position.

I'm thinking that I may try the new single string bridge's from Hipshot but I don't understand why there is a hugh difference on that B string. So before I start drilling I need help.

The string gages are : .040, .060, .080, .100, .120

These are the same gages on my 4 string basses minus the .120.

Thanks for any help.

Bill