Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Bows (and Rosin etc)

Old 02-18-2016, 01:16 PM
Posting Member

Shawn Charniga is on a distinguished road
Default Giuseppe Vitale

Greetings, all

After struggling with the French grip, which I found uncomfortable, I gave up on it and have happily played German for the past five years. I occasionally use a faux-French grip on my German bows and appreciate the change in articulation, but have balked at spending real money on a good French bow I may actually be comfortable playing.

Earlier this week I stumbled over a potential opportunity buy on a Vitale, whose bows I recall our host (and possibly others here) play or have played.

I know almost nothing about the maker. Having scoured Google Images, the photos in the ad look correct to my untrained eye, but I have no wish to make an expensive and ignorant mistake.

Any feedback regarding the authenticity of the bow I'm considering would be greatly appreciated.

SC

Old 02-18-2016, 07:09 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road

I had one many many years ago. That bow doesn't look like mine from what I recall. Vitale worked in NY and made various bows. Paul Biase would be one to show the bow to, in person, to get a better opinion. He may have used commercial frogs and just made the sticks.
Old 02-19-2016, 09:30 AM
Posting Member

Oy. That's not a reply that inspires the confidence to risk most of a week's salary on the bow being what the stamp says it is.
Old 02-19-2016, 09:56 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Stamp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Charniga View Post
Oy. That's not a reply that inspires the confidence to risk most of a week's salary on the bow being what the stamp says it is.
Stamps and Labels are never a guarantee of what something is. There can be a 10:1 ratio or a 1000:1 of fakes vs real ones.

Only a person that knows Vitale's work from experience can tell you if it is his stick. MANY bows have been made with 'purchased' frogs. I am fairly sure that Biase would know if it is his stick or not.

You can PM me the price if you like. If it is a real Vitale, then either you are a 1%'er or the bow is selling cheap to buy that in less than just a full weeks salary. Or did you mean 'month's salary maybe?
Old 02-19-2016, 10:14 AM
Posting Member

Much obliged. You have PM.