Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > This Old Bass > Italian Bass School

Old 08-29-2008, 02:46 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Old Bass spotted..

While surfing TB I saw a thread about an interesting looking Bass. I knew about what it was age and origin wise and then read it was recently converted to 5-strings. While looking at the the Bass, it's wear, shoulder cut, repairs, FFs and knots on the Back I thought to myself, "could it be"?

Back around 1978 while working at the Westbury Music Fair I was hired to play for Gospel Singer/B'way star Linda Hopkins. She was the opener for Sammy Davis Jr. His bass player was Al McKibbon who has that beautiful attributed Stainer Bass. We worked side by side in the Pit for a week and one night I brought in my camera and took a few pics of us and our Basses. Mine with him, his with me, the basses side by side at a few angles etc. The camera however was one of those re-called instant Kodaks so there is no film, just a poor slightly faded pic, or rather a bunch of them.

Now, I pulled out the Pics and found all the exact same markings that were on my Bass. THAT is my old Bass which in the early 90s was sold thru Biase to a player in Europe. Like adoptions, he would not tell me who or where but somewhere over there..

This IS my old Bass that I bought in 1973, had it restored by Peter Eibert and later touched up by Biase and used it for 15 years day in and day out. Like a magnet, those pictures as seen below kept me awake at night this week.

Front
Back
Side
Head

The Gears my/that Bass were chrome or nickle and had skate key handles bent inwards as the center in a letter 'A' shape. Kolstein (Sam) dated the Gears on my Bass to about 1880. These are newer versions but who ever converted the Bass would know I'm telling the truth. I can also describe the Label and what was written on it. We never believed the label 100% and the Scroll although old may not match the Bass or maker either. It had about 4 graft scars that I recall. Now, it has 5!

Old 08-29-2008, 07:22 PM
Posting Member

Phil Maneri is on a distinguished road

Oh Man. I'll bet you wish you had that one back.

Phil Maneri
Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
Fifth Avenue Fret Shop
Columbus, OH USA
Old 08-29-2008, 07:36 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool well..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Maneri View Post
Oh Man. I'll bet you wish you had that one back.
Hey, you saw a few of my Basses when you came by, right? I think I'm past that a bit now. The Gilkes, Martini, Hart and Storioni all have more power. Only the Hart and Storioni compare in sweetness but both of them have more projection.

But, would love to have it back..
Old 08-29-2008, 07:58 PM
Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
Hey, you saw a few of my Basses when you came by, right? I think I'm past that a bit now. The Gilkes, Martini, Hart and Storioni all have more power. Only the Hart and Storioni compare in sweetness but both of them have more projection.

But, would love to have it back..
Well I suppose you can't have them ALL...

Phil Maneri
Fifth Avenue Fret Shop
Columbus, OH USA
Old 08-29-2008, 08:12 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Maneri View Post
Well I suppose you can't have them ALL...
No, not really. Plus, it looks funny on the Top under the Fingerboard. Maybe there was some work done there for the bigger Neck and possibly a new Block. That Top was totally sunk when I bought it. I think 4 strings is plenty for that Bass after all it's been thru. If the sound was 'all that' for an old Italian Bass, they would have never turned her into a 5er. That's usually reserved for secondary Basses, not primary ones..
Old 08-29-2008, 08:28 PM
Posting Member

Oh well it's a piece of junk then.

Phil Maneri
Fifth Avenue Fret Shop
Columbus, OH USA