Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Electric Basses > Smith Basses, Handmade

Old 05-12-2014, 01:33 PM
Junior Posting Member

Dave Itterly is on a distinguished road
Default Ken Smith Saddles circa 1992 vs eg. 2014

I saw some Ken Smith saddles in the past, and if I remember correctly, the string basically rested in the 2 co-linear grooves, but the narrow groove I assume goes towards the nut? But I might be wrong altogether. Do the saddles today get made the same way? What I really mean to say not "made" the same way, but has the design of the saddle changed in this respect since back then.
Old 05-12-2014, 02:52 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Itterly View Post
I saw some Ken Smith saddles in the past, and if I remember correctly, the string basically rested in the 2 co-linear grooves, but the narrow groove I assume goes towards the nut? But I might be wrong altogether. Do the saddles today get made the same way? What I really mean to say not "made" the same way, but has the design of the saddle changed in this respect since back then.
Our Bridges are the same. Picture of the '92 you are referring to?
Old 05-13-2014, 02:33 AM
Junior Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
Our Bridges are the same. Picture of the '92 you are referring to?
Well, I was really just thinking about the strings resting on the brass saddle. Some actually have a steel pin which is at the string node I'd guess it's called. I saw about a year ago on American Idol a guy playing a Fodera and that has a steel pin I think. I don't know if that is significant enough to alter the sound to allow for all types of music. Is your's designed around a specific genre of music? Does this account for resting on the brass instead? Did you see him playing that when Nicki Minaj was a co-hostess?
Old 05-13-2014, 05:55 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Question

Quote:
Well, I was really just thinking about the strings resting on the brass saddle. Some actually have a steel pin which is at the string node I'd guess it's called. I saw about a year ago on American Idol a guy playing a Fodera and that has a steel pin I think. I don't know if that is significant enough to alter the sound to allow for all types of music. Is your's designed around a specific genre of music? Does this account for resting on the brass instead? Did you see him playing that when Nicki Minaj was a co-hostess?
I don't know what you mean. All of our bridge saddles are the same as far as I remember. The music director for that show is Ricky Minor and his first Smith bass is from about 1985 or '87. I don't recall it being much different if at all. I don't know what other companies use for bridges, sorry, We just do what we do and it's what I prefer.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:03 AM
Junior Posting Member

Quote:
I don't know what you mean. All of our bridge saddles are the same as far as I remember. The music director for that show is Ricky Minor and his first Smith bass is from about 1985 or '87. I don't recall it being much different if at all. I don't know what other companies use for bridges, sorry, We just do what we do and it's what I prefer.
OK. I see what you are saying. So a Smith bass having 100% brass saddles is appropriate for all types of playing, genres I think it's referred to as... For example rock, metal, jazz, pop, easy listening?
Old 05-14-2014, 04:44 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Quote:
OK. I see what you are saying. So a Smith bass having 100% brass saddles is appropriate for all types of playing, genres I think it's referred to as... For example rock, metal, jazz, pop, easy listening?
Sure, why not? You press down metal strings on metal frets so why not anchor the strings on brass at both ends. If you want all wood, get a violin or double bass or cello. Don't get a viola!
Old 05-14-2014, 11:15 AM
Junior Posting Member

Quote:
Sure, why not? You press down metal strings on metal frets so why not anchor the strings on brass at both ends. If you want all wood, get a violin or double bass or cello. Don't get a viola!
So your electric basses are suitable for rock music and heavy metal? And pop music like Katy Perry of somebody? I mean the type of instrument a recording artist would use for the live or recorded performance? I ask because those are the styles I most relate to.

I sort of like black gothic basses sometimes, but I haven't seen a picture of yousr. I did look several times, but I'm not sure.
Old 05-14-2014, 03:42 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Lightbulb

Quote:
So your electric basses are suitable for rock music and heavy metal? And pop music like Katy Perry of somebody? I mean the type of instrument a recording artist would use for the live or recorded performance? I ask because those are the styles I most relate to.

I sort of like black gothic basses sometimes, but I haven't seen a picture of yousr. I did look several times, but I'm not sure.
No paint, all natural wood on the basses we make. Good for what kind of music? Bb is Bb, the beat or words do not matter. Sound is sound. Turn up the amp for louder or down for softer and plenty of room for EQ on a Smith bass. Pros that play all styles in all countries around the world BUY our basses so I guess they just 'work'.
Old 05-15-2014, 02:39 AM
Junior Posting Member

Quote:
No paint, all natural wood on the basses we make. Good for what kind of music? Bb is Bb, the beat or words do not matter. Sound is sound. Turn up the amp for louder or down for softer and plenty of room for EQ on a Smith bass. Pros that play all styles in all countries around the world BUY our basses so I guess they just 'work'.
So are your basses good for country music too? I am not a country fan but I am interested in this, and if I recall, it's the most popular music in the U.S. I think I meet you a few times back in the 90's but forgot to ask then. I don't remember the exact year but you were still in Brooklyn but it may have been during your move to Pennsylvania. It's just too long ago. Sorry.
Old 05-15-2014, 06:14 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Lightbulb

Quote:
So are your basses good for country music too? I am not a country fan but I am interested in this, and if I recall, it's the most popular music in the U.S. I think I meet you a few times back in the 90's but forgot to ask then. I don't remember the exact year but you were still in Brooklyn but it may have been during your move to Pennsylvania. It's just too long ago. Sorry.
Brooklyn in the 90s? Not me. I was in Manhattan till 1995 and then in Pa.

Many country artists are and have been backed up with a Smith bass, Reba, Tanya Tucker, Boots Randolph with Tim Smith on bass, David Allen Coe, Lori Morgan etc.. Most of them I have seen in concert and the bass cut right thru..

Gospel players, Latin players, Greek players, Japanese players.. lol... Bb is Bb. Doesn't matter the music. We make professional basses. I don't care who uses them.

Phil Lesh bought 3, John Entwistle bought one, Stanley Clarke BOUGHT 4 basses from me and so on..

Please let me know when this Audition is over!.. Please..

One last comment on this is that many Smith players are professionals and do not spend time on Forums or YouTube. They are busy touring and making 'real' records. Like them, for 20 years my personal tax return said 'Professional Musician' as what I did for a living. I make tools for guys that need them because, I know what they need having been there personally.
Old 05-15-2014, 01:18 PM
Junior Posting Member

Quote:
Brooklyn in the 90s? Not me. I was in Manhattan till 1995 and then in Pa.

Many country artists are and have been backed up with a Smith bass, Reba, Tanya Tucker, Boots Randolph with Tim Smith on bass, David Allen Coe, Lori Morgan etc.. Most of them I have seen in concert and the bass cut right thru..

Gospel players, Latin players, Greek players, Japanese players.. lol... Bb is Bb. Doesn't matter the music. We make professional basses. I don't care who uses them.

Phil Lesh bought 3, John Entwistle bought one, Stanley Clarke BOUGHT 4 basses from me and so on..

Please let me know when this Audition is over!.. Please..

One last comment on this is that many Smith players are professionals and do not spend time on Forums or YouTube. They are busy touring and making 'real' records. Like them, for 20 years my personal tax return said 'Professional Musician' as what I did for a living. I make tools for guys that need them because, I know what they need having been there personally.
Ken....I am only kidding around. lol. I knew it was Manhattan. I actually meet you in Washington. I used to work for Henry and Mark in the machine shop. Do you remember them? I think at that time you were talking about moving to Pennsylvannia. I only worked there until 1994 though.

That is a very impressive list of customers.