Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > New Forum Member Introductions

Old 10-11-2009, 05:22 PM
Junior Posting Member

Michele Hobbs is on a distinguished road
Default Hello from Michele

Hi,

I've always loved and admired the workmanship of Ken Smith basses, but had decided that the Ken Smith tone was not for me. I've been searching for a 6-string bass for about two years with no luck.

After a run of 35" scale basses, one brand really tweaked my shoulder, so I decided to limit it to 34" scale...bringing me back to Smith. I played one in a shop and could not put it down.

Finally, I pounced on a 2001 BSR6EG (cocobolo, walnut, maple)...I love it! It is kinda heavy for me, but again, I can't put it down. I'm now wondering what wood combos I'd want in a 5-string Smith . In the mean time, I MUST find a wider strap.

Anyway, I play with metro-Detriot area bands. Being a J bass fan, I own some Fenders and a Sadowsky, playing primarily through Markbass and Bergantino stuff. I've recently acquired a Mesa Boogie Carbine M6, so we'll see how that works out.

Lookin' forward to participating.

-Michele Hobbs
Old 10-11-2009, 07:25 PM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Wink Hi Michele....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele Hobbs View Post
Hi,

I've always loved and admired the workmanship of Ken Smith basses, but had decided that the Ken Smith tone was not for me. I've been searching for a 6-string bass for about two years with no luck.

After a run of 35" scale basses, one brand really tweaked my shoulder, so I decided to limit it to 34" scale...bringing me back to Smith. I played one in a shop and could not put it down.

Finally, I pounced on a 2001 BSR6EG (cocobolo, walnut, maple)...I love it! It is kinda heavy for me, but again, I can't put it down. I'm now wondering what wood combos I'd want in a 5-string Smith . In the mean time, I MUST find a wider strap.

Anyway, I play with metro-Detriot area bands. Being a J bass fan, I own some Fenders and a Sadowsky, playing primarily through Markbass and Bergantino stuff. I've recently acquired a Mesa Boogie Carbine M6, so we'll see how that works out.

Lookin' forward to participating.

-Michele Hobbs
Hi Michele! Great to have you here. Yes, cocobolo is a heavy wood but a great tone wood too. I've always said, "If it plays, feels and sounds great, but is heavy?" Ask me if I care.

I'm not a bit surprised you came back around to a Smith. The 6EG you have with that wood combination is about as good as it gets, so, I'm not surprised you can't put it down. Get yourself a Comfort Strap; you'll be happy.

Old 10-11-2009, 08:00 PM
Junior Posting Member

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the welcome. I already use Comfort Strapps, I've just got to get a shorter one for the Smith. I still wouldn't mind trying something a bit wider.

In any case, the bass could use a set-up and the jack seems to be loose. I think the bass has Rock Masters non-tapered right now, I may change to tapered. After those issues are worked out, I should be good to go!

-Michele
Old 10-11-2009, 08:08 PM
Senior Posting Member

Thumbs up Yes....

Quote:
Hi Tim,

Thanks for the welcome. I already use Comfort Strapps, I've just got to get a shorter one for the Smith. I still wouldn't mind trying something a bit wider.

In any case, the bass could use a set-up and the jack seems to be loose. I think the bass has Rock Masters non-tapered right now, I may change to tapered. After those issues are worked out, I should be good to go!

-Michele
Hi Michele, Just FYI: Theres a section in the 'Electric Bass' section of this Forum to discuss this type of topic further. Maybe going forward we could take it there just to keep this particular section specific to the topic?

In the meantime........

Yes, set-up is everything! I would highly recommend trying the Smith Medium Taper Cores. You can order them directly from Ken if you can't get them locally. That would be the time to dial in a complete set-up for your playing style and I'd have no doubt you would be "good to go".

BTW - If you're so inclined and have the right tools, you could tighten that jack up easily. Just be careful is all.

Old 10-11-2009, 08:31 PM
Junior Posting Member

Hey Tim,

Thanks again, Tim. I'll consult the other forums for more info. I just wanted to introduce myself before hopping to them out of nowhere

-Michele
Old 10-11-2009, 08:45 PM
Senior Posting Member

Smile

Quote:
Hi Tim,

-Michele
Quote:
Hey Tim,

Thanks again, Tim. I'll consult the other forums for more info. I just wanted to introduce myself before hopping to them out of nowhere

-Michele
Hey Michele, not a problem. Glad you're here.