Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Double Bass Talk in General

Old 04-16-2012, 12:06 PM
Junior Posting Member

Kelly Bower is on a distinguished road
Default New DB Owner - Need ID Please

Hello All!

I'm a longtime electric bass player, but on somewhat of an impulse this weekend purchased my first Double Bass at a well-respected shop here in New Hampshire. They had 4 basses ranging from your typical $999 new student model to a 1920s not-really-for-sale beast. In the middle was an old Kay for $2700, and my new bass - which was tagged at $3000 but I picked up for $1700.

I chose this one because it was a joy to play, and sounded very warm and punchy. I had hoped to convince myself that the $999 bass would do for my purposes, but had no shot at that once I put my hands on this one.

While the shop is knowledgable, and the owner a well-known guitar collector, the rep that made me the deal (and I'm VERY happy with it) didn't know anything about the bass itself.

I'm hoping to get some assistance here in IDing this thing....

I tried to take pictures of the distinguishing features, and I'm sure you can tell this thing has already seen it's share of repairs. It's got a solid top and a ply back. The purfling is carved into the top. I can't stress the beautiful sound enough though - which is the reason I had to have it:

Any guidance on make, model, year would be extremely helpful!!!

Thank you!

KB
Old 04-16-2012, 12:19 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road

This is called a Hybrid bass with the laminated back. I am sure you heard the comments already about the condition and level of the repairs done. This bass is German or Czech/German (near the German border where they make 1000's of instruments still to this day.)

The Top is half edged inside from a previous removal but poorly done. Everything I see here looks like non-professional repairs as far as violin-grade bass repairs go. If the bass works, holds together and sounds good, play it with a blind eye and don't worry. Re-repairing this in a professional manner would cost more then the value of the bass so keep that in mind.

The Purfling by the way is inlaid and not carved in. This is common, nothing special. I have had many Italian Basses without purfling, one English with the top only and back painted on and one French with lines etched in. This in no way means they are bad. Actually, most of them were quite valuable. One bass is maybe the price of a car and all the rest much more! So, purfling is just a final touch if done. It might show a makers hand with fine instruments but with factory work, it's no biggie either way.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:30 PM
Junior Posting Member

Kelly Bower is on a distinguished road

Thanks Ken - any idea on age?

While a bit on the ugly side from a repair perspective I agree - it sounds and feels solid, and you're spot on - I don't plan on fix it unless something breaks
Old 04-16-2012, 01:38 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Default age?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Bower View Post
Thanks Ken - any idea on age?

While a bit on the ugly side from a repair perspective I agree - it sounds and feels solid, and you're spot on - I don't plan on fix it unless something breaks
From the tuners, endpin unit (if these are original) and the Hybrid build, I would say more likely post WWII but between the 2 great wars might be possible as well. I am not a historian on laminated products as used on the Back. Being that the finish was stripped, it probably looks older than it is along with the style of repairs.