Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Welcome To SmithBassForums

Old 02-11-2007, 12:27 AM
Administrator

Mike Smith is on a distinguished road
Default Posting Pics Tutorial

For any of you who are not exactly sure on how to add images to your posts, please take a look at these sections:

Using Forum Attachments:

The current limitations on the server as far as attachments are as follows:

So as you can see, you can upload images to a size now of 2MBs, or documents/archives to a size of 5MB, and if it's anything other than a .jpg, it will be limited to 1600x1200 in pixel dimensions, which is larger than what most use as their default screen resolution

You can use the vBulletin feature of adding attachments (attachment is viewed after the text of the post) by scrolling down a bit past the main edit section under additional options and then by clicking on the manage attachments button. After that, you can either paste the url of the image there, or browse for the file from your computer.

Also, attachments are great because it's not only for images, but can be used to other file formats (extensions) such as adobe .pdf's, msword .doc's, photoshop .psd's, or even .txt files if need be. Only down side to attachments, is that they can't be viewed inline with text as in, along side with it. If you need to do something like that, method 1 above is your best bet

Inline Images:

To do that as I did above, all you need to do is hit the insert image icon when you want to add an image. This is the icon I'm talking about:

Then type the hyperlink of where the image will be downloaded from. If the picture is not already hosted on a website, you can use the services as provided on ImageShack.us or Photobucket.com, both of which are free services.

For ImageShack

To use ImageShack (which is in fact a free service), just browse for the image you want to upload, and then simply hit upload. After a few moments, depending on your connection speed, you will be sent to a page with multiple links to the file, but you want the last link available which is direct link to image.

UPDATE: ImageShack does have its limitations as well, and will not allow excessive bandwidth to a particular image, in which case, I recommend that if it's a larger image, in size and resolution, use the forum thumbnail option or, upload a smaller image. If you think you may use this service more often, may be a good idea to register on their site so you can keep track of all your images. Registration is still free.

For Photobucket

I have seen many of you guys using photobucket, and seems to be working pretty good so far, therefore, I'm adding this to my recommendations

Difference between photobucket and imageshack at first glance are, photobucket requires registration, while imageshack does not. Also, seems like imageshack has no limit on how much you can upload to your account in terms of size (in GB), photobucket does have a limit somewhere around 1GB. Other than that, seems like they offer fairly equal services after sign up.

After uploading your image to Photobucket, you can use the IMG Code text in your post to insert an Inline Image.

Those are the 2 easiest ways I can think of for adding an image to a post. If any of this sounds confusing or inaccurate in any way, let me know, as it will benefit all who need it

Enabling Your Avatar (added 8/27/07)

Creating an avatar is simple, but for those who may still have trouble getting it right, here's how you're going to do this.

After getting logged in, click the User CP link in the upper left hand side. Under Settings and Options you will find links for editing your signature, email/password, profile, options, avatar, and profile picture. We want to change the avatar so click on Edit Avatar.

You now have 3 options (we'll call these Options 0, 1, and 2 respectively), no avatar ( but I think we want one ), select an avatar hosted on the web, or select an avatar you have locally on your computer.

note: On the page, it says that "The maximum size of your custom image is 80 by 80 pixels or 19.5 KB (whichever is smaller)." but you can still use a larger image, however, it will be resized to these dimensions. If you feel you would like to resize/crop your image, I recommend GIMP, it's a free, yet very powerful program for editing your pictures.

Web Hosted Image
If the image you would like to use is on the web, all you have to do is get the address/url of the image, copy it, and then paste it into the text box.

In Firefox (), this is as easy as right-clicking the image, and selecting Copy Image Location or if that option is not listed, select View Background Image and then right-click on the image and selecting Copy Image Location.

In Internet Explorer (), you may only be able to right-click the image and select Save Picture As... and then you have to upload the image either to the web using one of the services I had listed earlier in this post, or simply use Option 2 to browse for that locally stored image.

Local Image (on your computer)
If the image is stored locally, all you have to do is select browse, and then look for where you placed your file.

After you're done adding your avatar, you can just click the button at the bottom labeled Save Changes and that will do it =) It probably made this sound a bit more complicated than it is, in all, this shouldn't take you more than a minute or two. Let me know if any of this sounded unclear or was inaccurate.

Resizing Images - How To (on Windows) (added 10/22/08)
If you just took a new picture of a bass and decide you want to upload it to the web for us to see, I highly recommend that you first resize the image prior to posting it to the web! Now, how to do this? Easiest way that I would suggest is to download the Microsoft PowerToy Image Resizer which you may download for FREE off of Microsoft's PowerToy Website. To Download, click on "Image Resizer" on the panel to your right. You can run the file, install it, and have complete selected, after a few seconds, the (small) program will be installed.

NOW, to resize a photo after installation, simply right click on the image file (whether it be .gif, .png, .jpg, etc) and select, "Resize Pictures". I would recommend you select the small, 640 x 480, or the medium, 800 x 600 options. Only reason I see fit as to why a picture should be any larger, is if you are trying to show some fine attention to detail. Otherwise, please be considerate!

Note: (added 10/22/08)
Please DO NOT add inline images of greater dimension than 800 x 600. The majority of users accessing this site have screen dimensions set to 1024 x 768, therefore if you an upload an image any bigger than 800 x 600, it will cause the user to have to scroll across the page to view the whole thing. If you would like to put up an image of greater dimension, please upload it as an attachment, or add a link to the picture, while posting only a thumbnail of the image. This makes it much more convenient for everybody! Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tinySmith.gif
Views:	976
Size:	2.6 KB
ID:	30  

If your having any issues/suggestions with either this or the main site, either pm or email me and I'll get back to you on that.

Can't find something on the main page or the forum? Try our new KSB Site Search.
Old 02-28-2007, 02:39 AM
Junior Posting Member

Allen Markel is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Having trouble posting pics

Hello,
I'm having trouble posting pics to the forum. I'm getting a server error message. The pics are jpegs range from 1.25 to 1.9 mb. i'm uploading them as an attachment.
Any help appreciated,
Allen
Old 03-08-2007, 01:11 AM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road

I haven't had an issue with this at this time. Works fine for me! Maybe an issue due to size and/or type of .jpg file you are trying to upload?
Old 08-27-2007, 12:00 PM
Administrator

*updated*

Added a part about avatars for those still having trouble

If your having any issues/suggestions with either this or the main site, either pm or email me and I'll get back to you on that.

Can't find something on the main page or the forum? Try our new KSB Site Search.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:49 PM
Administrator

*updated*

added information on resizing images and some simple guidelines to follow when uploading/posting images.