Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > This Old Bass > French Bass School

Old 10-21-2012, 03:58 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up G.Mougenot Vuillaume model, on stage..

I took the Mougenot out last night for a Concert. It's only the second time I've played it in concert as well as a few rehearsals since it's restoration.

The first time was nearly a year ago and it had a test set of Flexocor Deluxe strings on it. A few days ago, I put a new set of Flexocor 92s with a stark 92 E of which I have a couple left of that string (discontinued a few years ago).

The first time I used it with the test set, it was loud but bright under the ear. Then I swapped them with my Hart and put some Jargars on the bass. Dark and smooth but the E was a bit tight on that bass, easier on the Hart which is slightly shorter has shorter after lengths. The 92s seemed to bring out the life of the bass as well as keeping it smooth and a better balance of lows and highs, almost silky smooth, Italian style.

On stage Friday night at dress rehearsal I was just getting used to the bass, it's size, shape and using the extension of which was needed for the program. I had been using other basses and just tuning down to D but that got old fast being that I didn't have to as I have basses with extensions if needed.

Last night at the concert with a full house and the stage quiet without any chatter or noise like you might have at rehearsal, the bass sounded great. The Pizz was good as well and the low end of that bass, cut through everything, especially the extension notes.

It was a Pop's program and we had 6 basses in the section of which I sat 4th to help anchor the section of mainly non-professional players.

This was the venue;
Americana Program
Gustav Holst: Walt Whitman Overture, Op. 7
George Gershwin: Piano Concerto in F Major
Claire Huangci, pianist
Aaron Copland: Suite from The Tender Land
Leonard Bernstein: Three Dance Episodes from On The Town

The Mougenot is a much better bass than I had previously thought. The sound projects as good as any bass I have had in here. It will suit an Orchestra player just fine as well as blend in with or enhance any section the bass sits in. It is not a solo bass by any means but for orchestra playing, I think it's a top notch professional instrument.
Old 04-20-2015, 06:32 PM
Junior Posting Member

Brent Gubbels is on a distinguished road
Default Mougenot label?

Hi Ken,
Have you ever taken a photo of the label in this bass? If so, would you be able to post it here? I own a Mougenot as well and would be curious to see if the labels are basically the same… I'll attempt to take a picture of the label in my bass in the next day or two. Thanks!
Old 04-20-2015, 09:54 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool your label

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Gubbels View Post
Hi Ken,
Have you ever taken a photo of the label in this bass? If so, would you be able to post it here? I own a Mougenot as well and would be curious to see if the labels are basically the same… I'll attempt to take a picture of the label in my bass in the next day or two. Thanks!
Most makers' labels will vary over their life span of work. Mine is labeled as *Liege 1875 ("luthier du Conservatorie Liege",*labeled as) but 1875 is also the year that he took over the N.F. Vuillaume shop in Brussels. I think that this bass was possibly made in Brussels rather than Liege being that it has the exact F-holes as Vuillaume and is possible that he didn't have new labels made yet. I cold be wrong.

I don't have a picture of the label as of now. It was removed and sliced off the old brace when the bass was restored but was left stuck to a sliver of wood from the original center brace and glued back in on the back near the under it so as not to harm the label. I can look into taking a picture here thru the F-hole.
Old 04-20-2015, 11:24 PM
Junior Posting Member

Brent Gubbels is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
I don't have a picture of the label as of now. It was removed and sliced off the old brace when the bass was restored but was left stuck to a sliver of wood from the original center brace and glued back in on the back near the under it so as not to harm the label. I can look into taking a picture here thru the F-hole. I can look into taking a picture here thru the F-hole.
That would be great! I will do the same. Thanks Ken.
Old 04-21-2015, 10:48 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool lable pics..

We just took these shots. I hope they help in some way.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Moug lab 1.jpg
Views:	865
Size:	5.1 KB
ID:	3119  Click image for larger version

Name:	moug lab 2.jpg
Views:	911
Size:	5.7 KB
ID:	3120  
Old 04-22-2015, 12:19 PM
Junior Posting Member