Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Electric Basses > Woods, Electronics, & Components

Old 12-18-2009, 01:12 PM
Posting Member

Tom Albano is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Tom Albano
Default New Nut or Not ?

OK, I think I already know what I need to do but wanted to see if anyone else has had similar trouble....

On my Smith BSRJ5 I get the action setup fine no problem low and sweet ... BUT.... the A string is giving me "Clack" (for lack of a better word) all the other strings are solid all the way up and down the neck except the A... It is not too bad but it bothers me that it will not play like the other strings.

I just recently setup the bass with a new set of Smith Burners (Medium) hoping the problem would go away but it hasint. Im not sure what the old strings were, but in comparison they were lighter gauge than the Burners.

Im thinking I will need a nut cut in the future???? I do not want to raise the action, any other ideas????

thanks
-Tom
Old 12-18-2009, 03:11 PM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Question Well...

Hard to say without seeing it and how it is set-up. Are all strings at reasonable height and with respect to the radius of the fretboard? Is it possible you need to adjust the A string saddle a bit higher? Did you change the string type to a to a taper core set of strings vs. non?

Old 12-18-2009, 05:38 PM
Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bishop View Post
Hard to say without seeing it and how it is set-up. Are all strings at reasonable height and with respect to the radius of the fretboard? Is it possible you need to adjust the A string saddle a bit higher? Did you change the string type to a to a taper core set of strings vs. non?
Hey Tim, The clack starts at the first fret and is fairly consistent all the way down to around the 12 or 15th fret... The strings are at a reasonable height the bass is not set super low (non taper). Maybe I can try fooling with the saddle height but I dont want the "A" to feel "out of place" to my fingers on the fretboard. Anyway Ill have it looked at next time Im ready to change strings Ill just pay for a real deal setup I guess and see what if anything can be done.

Any other opinions? Im listening ....
Old 12-18-2009, 06:22 PM
Senior Posting Member

Question Well.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Albano View Post
Hey Tim, The clack starts at the first fret and is fairly consistent all the way down to around the 12 or 15th fret... The strings are at a reasonable height the bass is not set super low (non taper). Maybe I can try fooling with the saddle height but I dont want the "A" to feel "out of place" to my fingers on the fretboard. Anyway Ill have it looked at next time Im ready to change strings Ill just pay for a real deal setup I guess and see what if anything can be done.

Any other opinions? Im listening ....
Did you have this problem prior to this? "Reasonable height" relative to the radius of the fretboard is the question in my mind.

You could also check the relief in your neck. Although, you did state you put heavier gauge strings on it: This would add a little more tension to the neck. At any rate, check the neck, do you have some or any relief? Or, is it flat or maybe even convex shaped? If you think the neck needs adjustment, it doesn't take much: Very slight adjustments. The necks on these basses are VERY stable. If you think the neck looks right, then I would say adjust your A-string saddle (Note: adjust each side of saddle evenly!) with slight adjustments and see if that helps you.

Old 12-18-2009, 06:32 PM
Posting Member

Quote:
Did you have this problem prior to this? "Reasonable height" relative to the radius of the fretboard is the question in my mind.

You could also check the relief in your neck. Although, you did state you put heavier gauge strings on it: This would add a little more tension to the neck. At any rate, check the neck, do you have some or any relief? Or, is it flat or maybe even convex shaped? If you think the neck needs adjustment, it doesn't take much: Very slight adjustments. The necks on these basses are VERY stable. If you think the neck looks right, then I would say adjust your A-string saddle (Note: adjust each side of saddle evenly!) with slight adjustments and see if that helps you.
I adjusted the saddle raised it a little bit, seems a little better but the A is not playing like the other strings and it is relative to the rest of the strings theres no massive change in string heights.... hmmm a little wierd, Im thinking just a high fret maybe somewhere down low. again the bass plays very well, really a minor complaint that Ill have to have a "pro" take a look at when the time comes.
Old 12-18-2009, 06:39 PM
Senior Posting Member

Question Well

Quote:
...Im thinking just a high fret maybe somewhere down low...
Ok, so you are ok with the relief (or lack of) you are seeing in your neck? It is possible you have a fret issue. Maybe you need a good fret dressing, leveling, or crown work. If you aren't comfortable with any of this, locate someone who is. How far are you from Ken?

Old 12-18-2009, 06:45 PM
Posting Member

Quote:
Ok, so you are ok with the relief (or lack of) you are seeing in your neck? It is possible you have a fret issue. Maybe you need a good fret dressing, leveling, or crown work. If you aren't comfortable with any of this, locate someone who is. How far are you from Ken?
The bass is mint (has not been played all that much if at all, before I got it) but it is from 1997, I think maybe just over all that time, it might just need some basic stuff done to it, theres no issues with it other than that.

Im on long island, not too far from Ken in PA,it would be nice to go and see the shop Ive thought about it. as well I can bring the Burner Im getting, definitely something to consider, I really wish i could go and pick out some woods for a new NT as well, but not yet... no... not yet.

Maybe just having both basses gone over and setup would be a good idea for the not too distant future....
Old 12-18-2009, 06:49 PM
Senior Posting Member

Cool Well....

Quote:
The bass is mint (has not been played all that much if at all, before I got it) but it is from 1997, ....
Doesn't matter if the bass is "mint". If it's been sitting that long, who knows what elements it has been exposed to. Sounds like you need a professional set-up, etc. I would suggest you make the trip and see Ken.

Old 12-18-2009, 06:51 PM
Senior Posting Member

Talking Uh huh....

Quote:
....I really wish i could go and pick out some woods for a new NT as well, but not yet... no... not yet.....
Lol! Yeah, just keep telling yourself that. Repeat after me...no, not yet, no, not yet (fingers snap, and you come too). Just do it!

Old 12-18-2009, 06:56 PM
Posting Member

Quote:
Lol! Yeah, just keep telling yourself that. Repeat after me...no, not yet, no, not yet (fingers snap, and you come too). Just do it!
Believe me Im happy with what I have ... Im thankful. But it would be nice. Maybe next year if I dont spend randomly on other gear it will come true although you can get a pretty good deal on NICE used Smith's nothing like doing it for yourself.
Old 12-18-2009, 06:59 PM
Senior Posting Member

Thumbs up Yep....

Quote:
Believe me Im happy with what I have ... Im thankful. But it would be nice. Maybe next year if I dont spend randomly on other gear it will come true although you can get a pretty good deal on NICE used Smith's nothing like doing it for yourself.
I understand. I hope you are able to get your basses set-up soon. Set-up is everything!

Old 12-18-2009, 07:04 PM
Posting Member

Quote:
I understand. I hope you are able to get your basses set-up soon. Set-up is everything!
Thanks Man, I get crazy with my setup's I like things a certain way, it bothers me quite a bit when it doesin't feel right. Currently looking for a new guy in my area to do setups and other guitar related stuff, but Im going to plan to have Ken look at my basses when I can....New strings, check frets/etc. Totally go over them.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:09 PM
Senior Posting Member

Thumbs up Well....

Quote:
Thanks Man, I get crazy with my setup's I like things a certain way, it bothers me quite a bit when it doesin't feel right. Currently looking for a new guy in my area to do setups and other guitar related stuff, but Im going to plan to have Ken look at my basses when I can....New strings, check frets/etc. Totally go over them.
Just make sure the person doing the set-up knows his stuff and your playing style. Otherwise, it's a crap-shoot!