Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Double Bass Talk in General

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-23-2009, 07:05 AM
Senior Posting Member

Joel Larsson is on a distinguished road

I think that the Shoppe knows how to charge their customers... £50k is a lot for a bass from a virtually unknown luthier. On the other hand, it's half the price of the Grancino, which my teacher liked far less. (Actually, the only thing he didn't like about it was the relatively high shoulders. Maybe I could persuade him into buying it, too? He's going to buy a King and order a Martin just because he can... )
When you are dealing in a small currency like the Swedish Krona, you also have to be careful about timing your purchase. The bass can be 40% more expensive if you go through with the deal in the wrong day... the quid was very weak in March, for instance, when it basically equalled a dollar.

Anyway, it's not the Pöllmann's solo performance I'm concerned with - it's loud and clear and lets me play anything, and the fact that it's not that mature yet lets it cut through and in some pieces, that is just what you want - but the fact that there is always a corner in the way when I want to hit the E string real hard in the orchestra. And I really hope to play one of those old instruments that fills the room with bass foundation rather than projecting its sound like an arrow. It's still great, though - I mean, I could definitely have bigger concerns - and the only other one I've played that seriously rivalled mine is a biggish 2001 Busetto by Michael. I couldn't possibly have asked for a better deal when I went bass hunting two years ago.

Tags
right bass