Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Double Bass Talk in General

Old 02-04-2008, 12:59 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Question 'C' Extension or not? Part II..

Ok, the Pollmann is gone and was sold as-is. Now I have another Bass with the same question. This one a nice Italian, cut down in 1937 and still a big 3/4 or small 7/8th with nice sloping shoulders. This is a professional Orchestral Bass. The only alteration to be concerned with is the 5/8th long extended Nut I made to shorten the string length and to correct the D-stop from in between an Eb and a D.

This is my Loveri we are talking about and on Jeff Bollbach's bench as I am writing this. I will also call Jeff to get his idea on this, being that it has the modified Nut I made for it which is not pictured on the website yet.

The Back has just been widened from the center (not pictured) to slightly overhang the Ribs which were barely flush before (as pictured). The 1/2" center strip is made from aged Peruvian Walnut that I've had in stock for over 15 years.

So, keep this as a regular 4-string or make it a full fledged professional Orchestral bass with a chromatic extension?
Old 02-04-2008, 07:50 PM
Junior Posting Member

Michael Harrison Jr. is on a distinguished road

Not as impressed with this scroll as the last one. (Not to say it's bad, just thought the last one was amazing.) So easy call for me...extend it. BTW, what was the result of the last one? Did it get an extension?
Old 02-04-2008, 08:19 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool the last one..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Harrison Jr. View Post
Not as impressed with this scroll as the last one. (Not to say it's bad, just thought the last one was amazing.) So easy call for me...extend it. BTW, what was the result of the last one? Did it get an extension?
Well, no. It got sold fairly quick as-is, no ext.

On this Bass it's a true Italian Bass with an Italian Scroll. The Pollmann was nice but a modern German Scroll to me is not as nice as most Italians are. True, the German work is usually neater but until you see this one without the ugly plates and the new gears, hold your vote on it.

I spoke with Jeff today and I think it should be played a bit after it's restored and see how much use it gets. I still have the Hart and Gilkes if I need a C-extension. Most likely I will be using the Hart as I have a few buyers looking at the Gilkes. If they both get sold I still have the Martini coming out of restoration around April.

The Loveri is a very powerful Bass. Deep and Punchy with that clear silky Italian tone. I am still curious about opinions from the forum members.