Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Electric Basses > Smith Strings

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-17-2009, 11:39 AM
Greg Lorisco Greg Lorisco is offline
Posting Member
 
Join Date: 09-07-2009
Location: USA
Posts: 48
Greg Lorisco is on a distinguished road
Cool Bass Burners Taper Core

What is the difference or advantage in using just the taper B vs a taper B, E, and A?

For the low B (130) it really adds to the clarity and intonation, but I canít tell the difference between a tapered E or A and a non-tapered E or A.

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-17-2009, 11:59 AM
Ken Smith's Avatar
Ken Smith Ken Smith is offline
Bassist, Luthier & Admin
 
Join Date: 01-18-2007
Location: Perkasie, PA
Posts: 4,995
Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool well..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Lorisco View Post
What is the difference or advantage in using just the taper B vs a taper B, E, and A?

For the low B (130) it really adds to the clarity and intonation, but I canít tell the difference between a tapered E or A and a non-tapered E or A.

Any thoughts?
If YOU can't tell the difference then maybe it doesn't matter for YOU. The tension is different between the two styles and some players and or basses benefit from the taper design. The B seems to change more between the two styles. We use to Taper the Ds as well but found the difference too slight to continue making them tapered so we stopped on the Ds.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-17-2009, 12:09 PM
Greg Lorisco Greg Lorisco is offline
Posting Member
 
Join Date: 09-07-2009
Location: USA
Posts: 48
Greg Lorisco is on a distinguished road
Default

Ahh? So the tension is less with the taper than without?

And I guess I should have said that the E and A sound better to me with a non-taper core; fuller, rounder, more punchy, exactly what you (I) would want the meat and potatoes section of the bass to sound like.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-17-2009, 07:04 PM
Ken Smith's Avatar
Ken Smith Ken Smith is offline
Bassist, Luthier & Admin
 
Join Date: 01-18-2007
Location: Perkasie, PA
Posts: 4,995
Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb maybe...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Lorisco View Post
Ahh? So the tension is less with the taper than without?

And I guess I should have said that the E and A sound better to me with a non-taper core; fuller, rounder, more punchy, exactly what you (I) would want the meat and potatoes section of the bass to sound like.
With the TC you must raise your bridge saddles up or lower them with non tapered ones. The extra height if not adjusted might be the difference you feel. The TCs sit down lower near the core and the bridge saddles need to be raised up if switching from non tapered. The same in reverse or going from TC to Non TC.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-17-2009, 07:41 PM
Greg Lorisco Greg Lorisco is offline
Posting Member
 
Join Date: 09-07-2009
Location: USA
Posts: 48
Greg Lorisco is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
With the TC you must raise your bridge saddles up or lower them with non tapered ones. The extra height if not adjusted might be the difference you feel. The TCs sit down lower near the core and the bridge saddles need to be raised up if switching from non tapered. The same in reverse or going from TC to Non TC.
Good point!

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-18-2009, 05:49 PM
Greg Lorisco Greg Lorisco is offline
Posting Member
 
Join Date: 09-07-2009
Location: USA
Posts: 48
Greg Lorisco is on a distinguished road
Default

Ken, can you explain the different attributes of the taper vs straight string? I.e. tension, sound differences, intonation, action, etc?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-18-2009, 08:12 PM
Ken Smith's Avatar
Ken Smith Ken Smith is offline
Bassist, Luthier & Admin
 
Join Date: 01-18-2007
Location: Perkasie, PA
Posts: 4,995
Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool well..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Lorisco View Post
Ken, can you explain the different attributes of the taper vs straight string? I.e. tension, sound differences, intonation, action, etc?
I can try but this is only my personal feelings on it. I think that certain things like after lengths and bend angles at the head and bridge change the feel and maybe the tension under your fingers. Mostly to me it's the feel but I never measured it other than just feeling it.

The tapered type string seems more true to my ear in tone and intonation. You can't cheat as much with them. Some people like the 'less definite' type intonation when playing because playing anything perfectly in tune is nearly impossible. The pressing down of a string bends it over the fret and sharpens the note as down any microscopic bending of the string to either side. Sometimes things go unnoticed and sometimes not.

To me, the TC string brings out the best in the bass. You just have to measure up to the instrument and try playing it as accurate as we tried in building it. Sounds easier than it is. If you think that's a challenge then try playing the Double Bass perfectly in tune in a Symphony Orchestra.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-19-2009, 04:36 PM
Greg Lorisco Greg Lorisco is offline
Posting Member
 
Join Date: 09-07-2009
Location: USA
Posts: 48
Greg Lorisco is on a distinguished road
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
I can try but this is only my personal feelings on it. I think that certain things like after lengths and bend angles at the head and bridge change the feel and maybe the tension under your fingers. Mostly to me it's the feel but I never measured it other than just feeling it.

The tapered type string seems more true to my ear in tone and intonation. You can't cheat as much with them. Some people like the 'less definite' type intonation when playing because playing anything perfectly in tune is nearly impossible. The pressing down of a string bends it over the fret and sharpens the note as down any microscopic bending of the string to either side. Sometimes things go unnoticed and sometimes not.

To me, the TC string brings out the best in the bass. You just have to measure up to the instrument and try playing it as accurate as we tried in building it. Sounds easier than it is. If you think that's a challenge then try playing the Double Bass perfectly in tune in a Symphony Orchestra.
To my ear the non-taper has a deeper fuller sound than the taper, but I have to admit that is based on a comparison of other (non-smith) strings. So comparing the KS regular to another brand tapers, the KS have a deeper fuller sound. Maybe that is because all KS strings have fuller sound and the KS tapers will sound the same only with more clarity? I donít know.

This is my first time using KS strings (not on a KS bass), and I like the result. I will need to try KS tapers to tell for sure the difference.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-28-2009, 10:07 PM
Tim Bishop's Avatar
Tim Bishop Tim Bishop is offline
Senior Posting Member
 
Join Date: 02-25-2007
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 1,428
Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Question Well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Lorisco View Post
.... I will need to try KS tapers to tell for sure the difference.
So, have you tried them yet?
__________________
Tim Bishop

Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-05-2010, 07:16 PM
Greg Lorisco Greg Lorisco is offline
Posting Member
 
Join Date: 09-07-2009
Location: USA
Posts: 48
Greg Lorisco is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bishop View Post
So, have you tried them yet?

Yes. I tried them on my Pedula Thunderbass 5 and my BT6. IMO they lack some of the ďmeatĒ of the regular KS Burners. But the burners add a great meaty sound to the Pedula Thunderbass 5. And are awesome on the BT6 as well.

They do add some clarity, but where I play mostly they want to hear the low rumble all the time so clarity doesnít give me enough bottom. So I use the regular burners with only the tapered B.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2007 - Ken Smith Basses, LTD. (All Rights Reserved)