Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Luthier's Corner

Old 02-28-2007, 12:07 PM
Junior Posting Member

Jeff Gellis is on a distinguished road

Ken, I can't thank you enough for your knowledge and willingness to share and teach!

I guess it's not fair for me to expect that my $2600 bass will be exempt from problems that effect basses costing many times that. But hey, that's why I asked the question.

Knowing this is fairly typical for inexpensive instruments is the answer I was looking for. I'm gonna try a heavier guage E. Thanks for that suggestion.

The bass sounds quite nice and from 6 to 8 feet away, there's plenty of bottom coming from the E string. FYI it's an Upton Hybrid and for a student instrument, very fairly priced I think.

I'll wait until my playing ability dictates that I start looking for a better bass. I know this bass will not be an impediment to my progress as a player.
Old 02-28-2007, 05:37 PM
Posting Member

Greg Clinkingbeard is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Gellis View Post
it's an Upton Hybrid and for a student instrument, very fairly priced I think.
Is your bass a Hawkes or one of their other hybrids? I bought a Hawkes last fall and am in love with it. Of course, every bass is different.
FWIW, I wasn't happy with the E when the bass wore Spiro Weich. With Obligatos the E is much stronger. Don't be afraid to put a heavier E on your bass; people do it all the time.
And no, the bass won't be holding you back from what I've been hearing about Upton.

End of commercial.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:59 PM
Junior Posting Member

Bob Rowlette is on a distinguished road

Jeff,

I have an Upton Hawkes hybrid, and it's a great bass all things considered. It is strung with a set of Spirocore mittel (medium tension) strings on the A, D, and G. However I am using a Spirocore stark (heavy tension) E string, which I would recommend highly on that bass. The Spiro stark is very strong and powerful (stark literally means strong).

-bob
Old 03-02-2007, 03:19 PM
Junior Posting Member

Thanks Bob,
I ordered the Stark E today. I'll let you know what color smoke comes out when I string it up.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:39 PM
Junior Posting Member

I installed that Stark E today and what a difference. The E string moves the entire bass front and back. I now get the real feeling of some fundamental on the E string when I am playing acoustically.

Thanks you that advice. Great!
Old 03-10-2007, 10:32 AM
Junior Posting Member

Bob Rowlette is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Gellis View Post
I installed that Stark E today and what a difference. The E string moves the entire bass front and back. I now get the real feeling of some fundamental on the E string when I am playing acoustically.

Thanks you that advice. Great!
Thank you Jeff. I think I got that idea from Sam Sherry originally. Anyway, I am so glad you like the Stark E.
Old 03-18-2007, 06:48 PM
Senior Posting Member

David Powell is on a distinguished road

I just wanted to echo what has been said about perception from the playing position vs. what the bass sounds like further away. I had no idea how my bass sounded until someone else plucked it while I was a good distance away. I was actually kind of startled because I realized I was probably over playing frequently in acoustic situations. I think practicing within about 4 ft of a wall with the wall to my back gives me a better idea because I get the reflection off the wall.

And yes, your bass is very young and you should be noticing changes in its' response for several months as it settles in.